Only Sony can have a leap year bug during a non-leap year

Don’t turn on my launch 60Gb PS3 and I’m fine?? No worries, I turned it on earlier this month, wasn’t planning on doing so again for a while…not like I wanted to play any GAMES on it or anything.

This is utter fail on Sony’s part, worst than the RROD from Microsoft, at least that was hardware issues.

Really? software is easier to fix then hardware.

Uh, no. It’s really not. It’ll be fixed this week certainly, if not in a couple days.

There’s a 42-page threadon this over at NeoGAF. Yow.

A couple days of 90% of PS3 users unable to play? Oh and it’s not like any major releases come out this week… oh wait.

A couple of wags there calling it ApocalyPS3.

How are they going to deliver this magic update if people can’t connect to PSN?

Internet and thumb drives.

Can you flash a PS3 from an ISO or USB Memory Stick like you can a 360?

Hope so…

Speculation is that the bug should fix itself tomorrow around 5pm EST/6pm CST etc. The internal hardware clock is on GMT and should roll to 3/1/2010 at that point.

From the NeoGAF thread:

The systems can still connect for an internet update. System updates on the PS3 are not done via PSN.

…or not. The OS clock doesn’t seem to move now. Fascinating!

I’m sure dealing with this issue isn’t how the SCEA suits wanted to spend their Sunday evening/Monday morning.

To say nothing of having it happen a week before FF13 launches on both systems and two weeks before the biggest PS3 game of the year.

Despite having my 60gig bricked, I have to admit I’m looking forward to the Hitler video.

That doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Likely what’s going on is that the real time clock chip on the motherboard for some reason thought 2/29/10 was a real date, and is returning and request for “what time is it?” with this date. The OS would then error out and not be able to complete the request for a time update, leaving it as is.

I’m just speculating of course, but this could still easily fix itself tomorrow.

True…and yes, I’m looking forward to the Downfall video myself…;)

ARGH! Hit by this as well. What a disaster.

ApocalyPS3 is fucking brilliant.

Yeah I got hit with this too.

So uh wtf am I supposed to do?