Onward - Pixar, Chris Pratt, Tom Holland

Directed by Dan Scanlon (Monsters University)

Saw that the other day. I’m sure there’s something more, because this seems a fairly simple setup. And nothing in the writing stood out as particularly interesting, unlike other Pixar films. Very conventional and safe feeling. Which is probably just marketing being safe.

But my daughter loves unicorns, so Im sure I’ll see it no matter what.

I’ve never had a more “meh” reaction to a Pixar trailer. (Except maybe Cars 2.)

(Yeah, I’m an adult and not the key market, but I’m very immature.)

Right?

Like, ok, fantasy creatures in a modern world has been done before, heck even in kids movies. I mean that premise is basically Harry Potter’s core conceit, we see elements of it in Elf, or Once Upon a Time, or a million anime series (trying to limit myself to things remotely child friendly). This has about as much creative spark in the trailer as… the Smurfs or Trolls.

Not to say the movie will be as vapid or lacking, just the trailer is not enticing.

Well, I liked the trailer. The music was great for a child of the 80’s like myself. And I can see the premise getting really interesting if they want to.

I’m cautiously optimistic.

Pixar still gets my blind ticket sale. Even if they are no longer perfect, they are still miles above most out there. And I, uh, like fantasy stuff. Looking forward.

I’ve been ‘meh-ed’ to death by most Pixar trailers and even just pitches of what their films are going to be about (Up, Nemo, Rat-chef-boy), but in the end all have been worthy of the Pixar name except Good Dinosaur. Even Cars was more enjoyable, though it was the most by the numbers story they’ve done. So I don’t really care about the trailer so much, but do trust the film will be at worst an enjoyable couple of hours of predictable storytelling done very very well.

Well, this movie didn’t pass the Bechtel Test.

Is this the one where they run around with someone’s pants? That trailer looked pretty dumb.

Yes, some kind of failed resurrection spell on their dead father.

NPR Pop Cultureal Hour seems to like it because it works better than they thought, missed a lot of pitfalls, and Tim Holland and Chris Pratt are completely charming.

If you miss Parks and Rec’s Andy, this is a nice return for Chris Pratt.

I enjoyed it more than I expected to from the preview. It was amusing, but definitely not one of Pixar’s best.

Hits Disney+ early in a couple of weeks, thanks to Coronavirus.

Yep, it hit Disney+ today. Man we live in weird times.

Plan on watching it today.

If my son stops being lazy and just sits there and does his schoolwork. Come in son, its just 5 pages, you could be done in a few minutes then go for a bike ride. Get back here, you are not hungry. No you can not get up and get a stuffy. DAMN IT SIT DOWN SON. STOP WHINING AND READ YOUR FUCKING BOOK, IT HAS BEEN AN HOUR TO READ 5 PAGES.

Ahem.

So we’ll see.

If it helps, I am in this exact Same FUCKing PLACE. Just, you know, solidarity or whatever.

Same here. “Hey, son, why aren’t you doing your chores? You have to water the flowers. You have to check the mail. You need to dig up fossils. I told Tom Nook we would have that bridge paid off by today, and I don’t want to keep stringing him along! What do you mean, you have schoolwork to do???”

But yeah, probably Onward tonight.

I’ll never not see Tom Holland’s name without my brain automatically assuming it’s Tom Hollander.

Ditto on the son issues.

Actually caught this in the theater. Not Pixar’s strongest by any means, but it’s a fun ride, cute, and I love the message. Gonna watch with the teenager if he ever mows the lawn. :slight_smile:

From all this conversation I am gathering that your sons are all lazy! Unlike my son, who… ah, actually, never mind.

Came for the Pixar film, stayed for the D&D references.