Ooblets - Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon meet

It will be published by Double Fine Presents.

I wish that video was informational at all. The only thing it did was make me not want to play it.

The way they follow you around reminds of me of Little King’s Story… the army following you around all the time was never my favorite thing.

I mean, it just looks like it has a bad control scheme.

Anyone remember Mail Order Monsters? I wish these creature games were more like that.

That game almost predates me, almost, but it looks cool.

It was way ahead of its time for sure.

It looks super cute and has all the stuff I’d love in a game. But it does look a bit slow.

It does look super cute and I like the animations a lot. It’s weird, because it looks like a Double Fine game but it wasn’t developed by them. I just worry it’ll get Double Fine controls and that it might be a bit too “busy”

I believe this developer showed up in an article somewhere where a bunch of naysayers told them not to do 3D and not due indie, that sort of thing. I am interested in how it turns out regardless because the creation process sounded kind of nifty.

The 80s were the best

I adored Mail Order Monsters. Ooblets is no Mail Order Monsters.

Well this game shot into the negative spotlight quickly after signing with EPIC for a year of exclusivity.

Dear developers take the money, its dumb not to. But STFU afterward.

Jim’s 10 minute take:

In depth summary video:

I was not aware they had over 1100+ patreon supporters tossing them monthly donations with no guarantee of a game once finished. Thats crazy!

Yeah that developer came off as an ass. It will be easy to avoid what they’re doing at least. I stopped watching the title after that. I don’t know why they’re still developing game though. It seems like he should quit and feed the starving or something.

I appreciated that Ooblets was just about the first company to get into what kinds of incentives Epic is offering–and that Epic told them they were free to share! I wonder if other devs who took the deal didn’t ask if they could share, or if they just figured it was better to duck-and-cover. I thought the blog post made the best case I’ve heard for why a team like Ooblets should accept Epic’s deal. Some developers made promises to their backers about what they would deliver (Steam keys), and they owe their supporters a clear and conscientious explanation for why they would breach that part of their promise. But I don’t think complaints about exclusivity or Epic store features are the same thing, and I don’t mind that the developers (who certainly knew they’d get piled on by a predictable crew of blanket-outragers) didn’t take those complaints so seriously.

(BTW, isn’t it a bit rich for Jim Sterling to condemn the use of sarcasm?)

Exactly.

Hehe yep.

I still do not get the energy and anger directed at devs over all this kind of stuff, especially in this case when patrons are apparently simply donating. That announcement had the right balance of substance and snark for me because gamer outrage is absurdly disproportionate.

https://twitter.com/ETPC1/status/1157684180458905601

I dunno. The blog post feels too smug, and deflects to total irrelevancies which does prove condescending.

If nothing else, all these broken developer promises are giving the gullible an object lesson in what’s more important to a developer: them or profit. It shouldn’t have been that hard to figure out in the first place, mind you.

It’ll be interesting to see the long-term impact on crowd-funding though. This golden age of Kickstarter projects (which has been fading for some time anyway) was so predicated on trust, and trust has been taking a real beating lately.

“Okay, so we did the thing! The thing people get angry about. But maybe don’t get angry about it?”

Yeah saying stuff like that just causes more anger.

“I couldn’t have guessed the scale of what it would feel like to be the target of an internet hate mob”

The entire subreddit of FUCK EPIC is pretty much 24/7 anger. And they have over 25k subs.