OPEC wants aid if world shifts to renewable resources

I should have said “with the exception of the US, for whatever reason.” But it’s amazing; Russia is probably the “best developed” on the list of oil exporters, or maybe Brazil.

Yeah, because Norway is so backward :)

Actually, what were the uses for oil before cracking and refining came about? We didn’t have gasoline, diesel or oil-fired engines until the late 1880s at least, and they certainly didn’t become popular until the 20th century.

The idea is kind of faintly ridiculous, especially since Arab nations with some small amount of foresight (such as Qatar and Bahrain) are already creating information and financial industries to keep the money spigot going when the oil runs out.

Jakub - It was turned into Kerosene - the first safe? lighting oil for illuminating the inside of homes.

I think the high correlation between oil-based economy and fucked-up country is a coincidence, not causation. After all, besides the US, the oil producing countries are Venezuela (already in a state of near anarchy before oil was discovered) and the Middle Eastern nations, who have very limited experience with either democracy or long term financial planning. I’m guessing that if France or Germany suddenly found oil, they wouldn’t go to hell. It’s just a guess, but it seems reasonable.

Well, that’s kind of what I meant: it’s effect on undeveloped countries. The various Asian tigers, by contrast, got rich on just exports.