Open Range

Costner should just stick to Westerns. Saw this Friday afternoon with a packed and very diverse crowd.

I have to say that it ran me through the whole gamut of emotions. All of the principles were excellent. I was surprised that Duvall received top billing, but he earned it, he was awesome. Costner and Benning did great as well.

Duvall is the man. I told my wife we should see this and her exact words were:

“A Kevin Costner movie?!”

Oh how the mighty have fallen, but a western with Duvall and Benning after a real drought in the genre sounded good. I wish it had done better at the box office. By the time I get to another theater in a few weeks, it will most likely be gone.

It did fine Ty - Managed to earn twice the initial estimates…that sort of movie builds word of mouth. And its not like it has tough competition in the upcoming weeks either.

Freddy vs Jason on top at the box office, how’s that for competition? ;)

I hope you are right. In this part of the world, however, the press/advertising for it has been woefully inadequate. I remember seeing something about it several weeks ago and had completely forgotten about it until I saw the poster outside the theater on Friday night. We need more Westerns!!!

I suspect most of the people who wanted to see that have been already. It will have a large second week dropoff…I was talking more in terms of “uptown girls” “le divorce” and “the boss’s daughter”. Not exactly a sterling lineup of box office smashes.

Hoping for good things from “The Medallion” :)

Me too, though my gamut runs from boredom to mild interest. The movie was okay, but as westerns go it comes in behind Unforgiven, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, the old Lonesome Dove miniseries, etc. For a man who’s done much killing, Costner’s character was just far too sappy and chatty, and it’s hard to respect the integrity of a gunfight scene that opens with a man firing fifteen shots from a six shooter. But, alas, Eastwood is old and our choices are slim when it comes to cowpoke entertainment these days.

Me too, though my gamut runs from boredom to mild interest. The movie was okay, but as westerns go it comes in behind Unforgiven, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, the old Lonesome Dove miniseries, etc.[/quote]

Saying it comes in behind those three is not all that bad. :)