Open Source Shared Calendaring?

My manager is getting all hot over the idea of our department having shared calendars to organize our work more efficiently. Yeah, he’s that kind of manager. Anyway, the powers that be around here are resisting his grandiose ideas of an Exchange server due to the extreme cost. Thank god.

Before he can come up with something really outlandish that is going to require me to start using Outlook, I figured I’d head him off with some reasonable alternatives. I won the department IM battle this way by setting up a jabber/XMPP server real quick before anyone could buy something expensive and unsuitable. Now I’m hoping to win the calendaring battle with similar tactics ;-)

Anyone have any experience with calendaring apps that are open source (or at least free to demo) that I should play with? Looking around, something based on caldav protocol seems best since nobody is going to be tied to any client and there’s plugins for Outlook to add support.

Is Chandler actually usable yet?

Hmmm, I dunno but they do seem to have a caldav server implementation. I might check that out.

Man, I haven’t looked at Chandler since it was announced w/ version .001 or some such. Good luck. An open source alternative to Exchange’s collaboration features has been missing in action for ages.

We use Novell Groupwise 7, on their SuSE based Linux server. Works great, and the GW client is quite nice and available multi-platform, but it ain’t free.

Chandler is now notorious for being one of the industry’s longest-running and least productive software projects. Too fucking bad really, it was (and is) desperately needed. Were you aware there’s a whole book about it?

Still, maybe it does sort of kind of work now, I’ll be curious to hear what you think :-) After following it on the email lists for the last six years I’ve lost interest in it as anything other than a train wreck.

Apple’s CalDAV server is open-source: http://trac.calendarserver.org/projects/calendarserver

I don’t know how well it builds/runs on anything other than OS X, though. It’s mostly written in Python, so I guess it’d probably run okay on platforms that do Python well.

We use it at work, but in the supported shipped-with-Leopard version and not in any built-from-scratch way. Paired with iCal, it’s pretty okay. I have no idea how it is with any other client, though.