Open World Games Where You Don't Outlevel Things

Maybe. I’m playing just on the default difficulty. I’m in the Pilgrim’s Landing zone and everything is leveled 15 with me, sometimes I’ll be in a little ? area with level 13 guys and that’s no problem, but all the quests I’m doing lead me to leveled enemies.

I’ve never understood auto-leveling enemies. If you’re going to do that why even have level progression? Just gate stuff behind story bits and have everything stay the same.

Because people like leveling up. Apart from increased stats, it usually means increased complexity. And it usually requires you to make a series of choices that put the “role” in RPG.

Anyway, l’ll suggest Guild Wars 2. If you get too far ahead of a zone, the game will try to downlevel you while you are in the zone. That means reducing your stats but otherwise preserving your build (ie complexity and role).

Otherwise, consider the other Odyssey: Mario World Odyssey.

Telefrog if by that you don’t like scaling I am in 100 percent agreement. I hate that! It almost dovetails with Toms difficulty settings issue. Why on earth do games scale? Can’t the developers just get the difficulty around the areas to match progression? Grrr.

Yeah I am playing AC Odyssey and I really do like it but every time I hit a level all my quests bump up another level in difficulty. Not Oblivion scaring but ….

Well, what made Oblivion easier and easier as you made your way through the game was the equipment you found. Particularly the quest rewards, they eventually made you a walking god. I remember my Orc Axe user could just stand there, he had a higher health regeneration than enemies could bring down, and every time the enemy hit me, they got hurt in return. So I could stand around and have people kill themselves by hitting me.

Enemies stop leveling in areas when they hit the level cap of that area.

So Megaris, for instance, has a level cap of 14. When you go back there, standard enemies are capped at level 14. (Roving mercenaries aren’t.)

In Phokis, the level range is 14-15. When you get there at level 14, the enemies level up with you, until you hit 16. They can’t level up past 16.

As another example from Odyssey, let’s use Boetia, which is scaled for levels 34-38. If you get there at level 34, you may find enemies at any level between 34 and 38. As you level up, the enemies level up too, but are capped at level 38, so when you hit 39, you will be better than everyone else in Boetia–excepting again special characters or roving mercenaries.

When I did a certain pig quest, I cheesed it by leveling up above the pig’s level by 1 and then taking it on, for instance. If you want to feel powerful, go back to older areas. You are a Greek God in those lands.

Ooh, also:

The levels of areas below your current level do level up as you level up…but at least so far are staying 2-3 levels below my current level. So I’m at 18 now, and Kephalos, Megaris, and Phokis are all 15-15.

1. You may find that you will soon advance far enough in the story.
  2. Go back and look at the warrior tree again. There’s very meaningful stuff you can put a second point in for upgrading base weapon damage and base armor protection even before that. :)

Uh -well… My ten Rules of OW games may be a bit wrong. But…

I uh think maybe they were accurate, though god knows I am sure I am wrong.

11 rules.

Trigger I meant the ten levels of ow games. Wait – are you meaning something else?

technically 11 levels.

Edit: Triggercut mentions this above…

I don’t have Odyssey yet, but I think someone somewhere said there is a max level for each area so they won’t level up with you indefinitely.

Correct, I believe its like Origins, where each zone has say level 15-18 difficulty suggestions.

I meant to reply to @triggercut as well - but this isn’t right. I’m in the Pilgrim’s Landing area, which was 12:13 when I first landed, then 13:13 when I hit level 13. I’m level 15 now, and I see level 14 and 15 opponents wherever I go - though I also see 13’s. I think when I’m doing the main story, the enemies are leveled up with me.

That’s a small level range you’re working with. Someone mentioned a little bit upthread that there’s a cap for each area where it stops rising with you. I’m hoping that’s the case, because it would be less interesting to have the whole map eventually the same level. I want to outlevel stuff when i want it to be easier and challenge myself with higher levels when I want to be pushed.

Like I said, the map tells you the limit of the map’s enemies, but I’ve found enemies both at my level on that same map (I think for main story quests) and I’ve found enemies that are max level for the map but have a LOT more health and hit like a truck so I don’t even think “level” means much.

I just dropped it down to easy, now it feels like I’m just really good at it and I’m having more fun. Mostly. It’s a maddeningly frustrating game sometimes.

I’m honestly just not seeing that. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I just went back to Phokis, which is now 15/15 on my map because I’m level 18. I can’t find anyone above level 15 to fight. I’ve gone to forts, bandit camps, etc, fought bears, and nothing’s above 15.

Are you doing any main story events there?

I keep mentioning this - but it feels like main story quests are keeping pace with my level, even when the level of the quest is lower than me. The ? and generic “clear the camp” stuff is at the max level of the map, I agree.

This person says the level of the regions keeps increasing too.