Opening In Theaters 8/26/05

According to Rotten Tomatoes, it’s not the best week for major releases. All three of the heavy hitters are scoring low and one movie it currently doing something that I have never seen before … the latest Ashlee Simpson vehicle is pulling a 0%.

The women in my workplace are telling me that “The Brothers Grimm” would be much better if the two male hunks actually looked attractive. Instead their good looks are hidden beneath makeup. That’s not a good thing if people can see that from the commercials. I’m wondering why this movie is being released after the summer season. According to IMBD, it cost eighty million dollars to make, that’s summer blockbuster territory, right? It looks like a good move because there really isn’t much competition this week. I’m curious if something like “40 Year Old Virgin” or “Four Brothers” will get a boost stay on top of the box office?

I had tickets to a sneak preview of “The Cave”. It’s better than it’s current RT rating. It’s more of a thriller than a horror movie. For some reason it really reminded me of Alien versus Predator … that’s probably not good.

There are quite a few really neat looking indie/foregin films opening this week. I’m looking forward to checking out “Breaking News” and “We Travel Econo”. “The Memory of a Killer” looks like it could be a good movie.

Lacey Chabert has a movie, Dirty Deeds, opening this weekend.

The Brothers Grimm

Matt Damon and Heath Ledger are Jake and Will Grimm, two con men who find themselves pitted against a real wicked witch.

The Cave

A rescue team sent down into a cave to find lost spelunkers are pursued by the bloodthirsty monsters that live below.

Undiscovered

Set in the world of up-and-coming artists, Undiscovered is a heartfelt and comic film that tells the story of an aspiring model who falls in love with a struggling musician when they suddenly cross paths on a NY subway train.

Dirty Deeds

A high school senior tries to become the first student ever to complete an outrageous series of challenges - known as the Dirty Deeds - that must be completed between dusk and dawn on the Friday night of Homecoming Weekend.

Eternal

A detective looking for his missing wife learns of a mysterious woman who bathes in blood to stay young forever.

Breaking News (Dai si gein)

When an ambulatory TV news unit live broadcasts the embarrassing defeat of a police battalion by five bank robbers in a ballistic showdown, the credibility of the police force drops to a nadir. Vowing to capture the robbers at all costs, the policemen in the whole city, some thirty thousand of them, are mobilized to patrol every possible exit route and city border.

The Memory of a Killer

An aging Belgian hitman with signs of Alzheimer’s learns he’s being used in a political power play and decides to fight back.

We Jam Econo: The Story of The Minutemen

A documentary on the influential 80’s punk band, the Minutemen, and the accidental death of their lead singer/guitarist D. Boon

El Criminal Perfecto

Rafael also has a definite goal in life. He aspires to become the new floor manager. His main rival for the position is Don Antonio, the veteran responsible for the gentlemen’s section. Due to fatalities of fate, Don Antonio accidentally dies after a heated argument with Rafael. The sole witness of the crime is Lourdes, a very ugly, insignificant and obsessive co-worker.

Matando Cabos

A dark, stylized comedy about some Mexico City teenagers mixed up in a kidnapping plot involving a retired wrestling legend.

The Wall

A documentary about the separation wall on the Israeli-Palestinian border.

My friends all voted for Brothers Grimm, so that’s my fate this week. Hopefully it’ll be decent, though. I like most of the people in it and like Terry Gilliam.

The Memory of a Killer doesn’t look bad at all, got an 81% tomato rating right now atleast.

The local radio movie reviewer said “Undiscovered stars Ashley Simpson, and thats all you need to know”.

Wow. I saw this a while back and I have to say the Israeli-Palestinian analogies are very, very subtle. But now that I think back, the part where Pink shaves his eyebrows off is probably an allusion to the guilt Ariel Sharon feels for the atrocities he allowed during the Six-Day War…