OpenXcom

Is there any chance of ever seeing more detailed models or a resolution hack? If I remember right the game was originally 320x240, it’s unplayable for me unfortunately, even with fancy shaders and smoothing.

I think in one of those recent update video’s they showed it at a higher res? It is a bit buggy currently but i think it suggests a higher res option? I don’t sound sure because i’ve not tried it as i’m quite happy with the original resolution and graphics (and hey, at least in the PC version you had a proper day/night cycle which we didn’t get on the amiga version back in the day).

And news on the soon to be released 1.0 version!

http://openxcom.org/index.php/2014/05/1-0-coming-soon/

Can’t wait for 1.0 to be released! It’s in fantastic shape as is. Played 5 hours without a single issue so far.

Huzzah!! It is here, OpenXcom 1.0:

http://openxcom.org/

may have to wait to get an easy download as they say they needed to put some mirrors up! Well down OpenXcom team, fantastic work :)

I’m torn between playing this and giving Xenonauts a shake. I really didn’t get on with Firaxis’ title so it’s nice to have two solid and modernised alternatives to the original vanilla game… but which one do I go for? I’ve been rooting for Goldhawk for ages but UFO: Enemy Unknown is the classic from whence all this came.

Why not both? I haven’t tried Xenonauts, but it looks good. OpenXcom I have tried and it’s definitely worth it.

I just started my 2nd game of Xenonauts, I think its replaced X-com for me (the old one). I still play the bureau and the new X-com as separate versions, but Xenonauts replaced the original for me.

Trailer of 1.0

Damn that was cool.

They had me at configurable battlescape scaling! Now I just have to decide which game to play first, this or Xenonauts.

After some thought, I think I’m going to play OpenXcom first so I can appreciate the differences between the original and Xenonauts. It’ll also allow more time for bugs to be squished.

Nevertheless, it’s a good time for fans of X-COM, especially ones who didn’t like the reboot.

So hot on the news of GOG now having the originals (which is neat - DRM free versions of the best games is always good), i’m still firmly getting my X-com hit from the OpenXcom project.

So feast your eyes on this, and thanks to Sin Vega at RPS for this article, without which i would not have found out about it; X-Piratez, a total conversion for the OpenXcom game. It looks and sounds amazing, i’m off to download it asap :)

http://www.openxcom.com/mod/x-piratez

I had a play last night. About 25days in a large craft attacked my base with 5+ units with plasma, he grenades and exceedingly good armour. Killed 3 and badly wounded one but 12 deaths and game over.

Sin Vega?

Thanks for posting about this Zak!

Looks really interesting and comes at a great time with the GOG sale.

-Todd

Ouch! Balance issues perhaps? I have not been able to download the mod yet, their servers have been getting hammered the times i’ve tried today :(

I’m not sure about the all-laddies thing either, is there some game ‘lore’ about that? (like maybe after the Aliens won, they took all males away to become slaves). Still they are mutant pirate women, so maybe that won’t be so bad?

Name of the RPS article person. Could be they are an Alien themselves or from India perhaps (I think Vega is an Indian surname?) or just have a funky name because why not?

@AntediluvianArk, your welcome. I’m always happy to spread the (real) X-com love around :)

Going through OpenXCom web site for that mod was not working, I think the RPS attention FUBAR’d the servers with load.

Go http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4465.0.html for a link to the download from the openxcom.org forums.

Version 0.98b? Hmm. Someone nudge me when it’s version 1.0.

-Tom

Nudge, nudge. OpenXcom hit 1.0 a couple weeks back.

I played X-Piratez all the way through starting late last fall. It was huge, hilarious, original, amazingly varied, and full of the desperate struggle against the unknown that is the essence of the original X-COM. Tactically, it’s far from a mere reskin. I took my time and indulged myself, but still there was a lot of stuff I know I never touched.

By the time I was done (three months?) the developers had expanded the game so much that I could have started another play right off and been engaged. It’s a great mod and should not be missed.

I loved X-Piratez (and like you, it took me months) but there was just too much. Too much of everything.