OpenXcom

It would be cool if you could play X-Piratez cooperatively in a persistent universe, but not an MMO, sort of like Minecraft. I can dream!

I’ll dream with you! It’s not like it wasn’t done before. I vaguely remember playing a strategic game years ago cooperatively… I think it was Mercs.

Oh hey, there is a thread for OpenXcom. In my ongoing but no doubt ultimately futile quest to keep @tomchick from being disappointed in me, I am trying to play this game (for the first time!) on my phone. The touch controls are obviously not ideal (in particular moving around the battlescape is kind of a pain) but really pretty well done. I was following along with the tutorial in the manual (which is great!) and I downed a UFO and sent a Skyranger there, and when I moved my first guy off the plane on the first ground turn of the game, he must have triggered some kind of opportunity fire and was immediately wasted from off screen. Welcome to X-Com. Nothin’ personnel, kid.

That brings up memories of my first time playing Icewind Dale. Catching up on what was already an old classic, I spend at least a couple of hours creating the party and exploring everything in the starting village. I finally head out on the path leading out of town, and the moment I encounter the first enemy group, the very first combat event is a goblin hitting my 4 HP mage with an arrow, gibbing so he can’t even be resurrected. That’s old-school video games for ya.

Disembarking is always a special time. One of my greatest gaming memories involving unloading my team from the transport in X-COM.

Smoke bomb spam out the arse of that Avenger every time.

That must’ve been some arrow.

I don’t think I ever once used smoke bombs in X-Com. (Hmm. Maybe because I just exploited the save system instead…)

Since this is the first play through for @Kolbex I’ll hold off on telling my story until it is obvious it won’t ruin any of the fun. :)

Is this, like, Dwarf Fortress “fun”?

It is, isn’t it.

Mission 1:

Rating: OK

Good job! That’s what it’s supposed to be like. A desperate race to research the alien tech and make better weapons, armor, and ships to at least keep pace with the ever-escalating alien threat.

Don’t cheat and look up the tech tree or anything like that! You’ll deprive yourself of one of the best experiences in gaming.

I like that in my income and expenses screen I’m being charged for Skyranger and Interceptor rental. Who the hell am I renting this shit from?!

Area 51 has to make its money somehow.

Unable to throw here!

Jesus H. Christ

Well, the jobs of rookies and squaddies is to die. Seems like everyone but Kenji Kimura performed admirably.

There were ten thousand percent more explosions in this mission than the last one. At the end I was trying to get my last two guys back to the ship to get out of there, but, exploded.

Eh, whatever. When you’re hiring new soldiers there is no number ticking down labeled “Potential recruits remaining”.