Operational Art of War IV - What is it good for?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/587/details/The.Operational.Art.of.War.IV

Finally launched on Steam today. It’s been out for a while.

Look at this grognardy goodness!

The

And now I shall finally buy it (thanks @Telefrog).

It has also finally been optimized for Slitherine’s PBEM++…so they say…

If not-REFUND!!!

@cannedwombat, why are you trolling the planet with my no-positive comments on an other game? I am never anything but HAPPY!

CWs Rule 138: If you don’t have anything nice to say, post a gif and quote someone else.

What next, War in the Pacific??

Cool they added steam workshop support.

DPI Scaling issues on the port. Just like all those other old-timers.

My comment in the Matrix forums from August, before it went live on Steam stands:

I am very disappointed by the small fonts and DPI scaling issues. I can see why this wasn’t offered on Steam. Is there any patch fix to these issues yet? Even we grogs want something that actually works out of the box on a large monitor on Windows 10.

They didn’t do a thing.

Refunding.

Did they refund it to you previously when you brought that up? Or was that just from looking at pictures? Because you should have a free steam key if you purchased it through Matrix/Slitherine.

I did a quickie buy (rather than getting the key) because I knew I could just go right in in about 3 minutes and see if they had resolved anything. They hadn’t. Already have my refund (Steam is good like that). Matrix didn’t refund, they have a basic “oh well” Caveat Emptor policy.

Has anyone tried making a scenario with this version? I’d be interested to hear if it’s easy going and well supported.

Do you own it already? @cannedwombat, could you offer a more technically-focused description of the DPI-scaling issue? As a layman, all I can say is that if you have a 4K or 1080i monitor, the text is impossible to read unless you are up very close, in which case it is just difficult to read.

Given the age of the codebase, I’d guess they haven’t updated the code to be DPI-aware (super technical I know). Nothing in the new features list or system requirements suggest it.

You can adjust DPI settings within Windows to somewhat mitigate the problem.

You can up the size in Windows, but that causes other issues with the U/I (what is on screen or not). It is really well known issue on their forums (they are mum about).

PM you missed a great stream tonight. Tom did old "Field’s of Glory " (and I mean old) – “Quartre Bras: Ney–hero or Villain?” scenario. With Zombies.

So I didn’t miss anything, you say.

I’d say probably not. Wellington did a bit better… durn zombies.