Operencia: Zen's Turn-based Hungarian-Folklore-Inspired Blobber

Oh, that’s good then. I was really worried about this (I’m at the end of the first non tutorial dungeon, decided to go back after beating it because I forgot to do something; I know I’m about to get a third companion). I’ll check it out next time I fire it up. Thanks!

I went in with pretty high expectations (<3 Zen) and was not disappointed.

Really enjoyed the first couple hours. Looks & runs great on an X1S.

Loving the graphics, voice acting and art. The journal with character-written descriptions is a really nice touch. Instantly forgot that combat tutorial with what felt like 25 pop ups in a row. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite me at some point.

So, it looks like it’s 20 dollars on Epic Right now, and you get 10 dollars off the first purchase. I wonder if it’s worth it as my first game purchased on Epic?

this game is exactly what I’m looking for right now and I’m so sad that it probably won’t run on my PC :(

The game is exactly what I was looking for and I’ve been enjoying it (though I’ve been lacking the time to play those past few weeks). It’s exactly what it says on the tin: party based, grid and turn based RPG.

If that tempts you, you should enjoy it.

Not sure if you have Gamepass but you can try the game on both PC and Xbox via that route…not that you need to since the sale price is low enough, but thought I would mention that option.

Thank you. I never did pick up the game pass because I’m always afraid that I’ll forget that I have it, and not use it (I know, it was a dollar!). It happened to me when I got 2 months of free Kindle unlimited.

As for low enough. 11 dollars is about my limit for impulse purchases. That backlog is… it just annoys me that I probably won’t play all of those games before I die.

Then you could try shifting your perspective: until the day you die, you will have multiple games to choose from! You will never be bored.

I’m digging Operencia, guessing I’m maybe 2/3 of the way through. It is satisfying I’m an old school way of playing, but updated with modern conveniences.

Just got this in the Epic sale and so glad I did. I bounced hard of Grimrock One and Two as I just couldn’t get into them, could never figure out why. Now I know. It’s the Characters.I like I don`t create the whole party but rather just my main and have a few NPC join with their own personality. The banter during the quests and while resting really improves the game for me . The whole setting is also much more fairy tale like with a dose of whimsy I appreciate. Just entered Deva Fortress. Will have to go back to some places soon to dig up more secrets.

I have a mage as my main and have trouble keeping her alive during big fights. Probably wasn’t the smartest idea stacking Int up the whazoo without investing in some vigor. 50 HP just don’t cut it anymore.

same, got this on the epic sale and could not get into Grimrockas well. The big issue I had with Grimrock was that it was realtime combat. I just could not bring my fingers doing it fast enough on the KB. And Operencia fixes that, turnbased combat. Great. Also full gamepad support!

Lol I am trying to hide from a few after I voiced my opinion on Epic game exclusives – but ok --this is a pretty nice game. Turn based grid but excellent graphics and a kinda Hungarian story back ground.

So before anyone jumps in: the story is very simple, but the combat is a lot like Bards Tale IV (which was that games strength) and the whole thing is kinda cool. Plus you DO get a decent amount of character customization.

BTW Bards tale IV should have that new super patch out soon…

aggggh you’re killing me KristiGaines. I so wish I could just try it and see if it’ll run okay on my ancient rig, but I don’t know epic’s refund policy.

Well, wait for another of those $1 sign up deals and try it through Game Pass.

Great game really enjoying it so far.

Epic refund policy: 14 days for any reason unless you have played 2+ hours.

As @Ormus was saying, the Epic refund policy should give you plenty of time to check whether the game will run:

What types of products can I return for a refund?

Any game you purchase through the Epic Games store is eligible for a refund. Epic cannot provide refunds for purchases made outside of the Epic Games store.

If you receive a refund for a game, you will also receive a refund for all in-app and downloadable content purchases you made through the Epic Games store for that game, so long as that content has not been consumed, modified, or transferred.

When are products eligible for a refund?

All games are eligible for refund within 14 days of purchase for any reason. However, you must have not played the game for more than 2 hours.

You will not be eligible for refunds for games from which you have been banned or for which you have otherwise violated the terms of service. In addition, you may not be eligible for refunds if Epic determines that you are abusing the refund policy.

Playing on XBX via XGP, feeling pretty good about it after about 2.5 hours. This is charming fun, snappy dialogue and a few amusing instances of flavor text. Inventory management is awkward and I don’t trust that “optimize” button.

6 hours on this today — it is --well, it is pretty great. Combat is interesting, exploration is fun. Even the loot is pretty interesting. Story? well ok average.

A pro tip if you bounced off this thing: play a mage. A starting mage is hilariously fun. Plus you get … oh nvm.

Best Turn-based rpg since Bard’s tale IV – WHICH I feel is going to get better here in a few weeks…

I played through the tutorial and created my character (Hunter). Thus far, I’m not feeling it. I played For the Kind a bit last week, and it had some of the same feel (turn-based ‘group’ combat, etc) so maybe I’m just tired of the formula. Plus, the not-as-freeform-as-it-seems, grid-based movement was awkward. I’ll play a bit more to see if it gels for me.

DonQ that is too bad. I played the heck of it today as a mage. Play bit more and please post here…

After playing a bit more I still dig it. I am very happy that I googled a bit before starting the game as a Mage is the only character you don’t get an NPC for. I have no idea how I would have won some of the boss battles if I didn’t have my Mage with his area elemental attacks. So yea, go Mage. I usually never play one but here it’s worthwhile.