Opeth Fans?

I was out looking for some new music the other day adn decided to give Opeth a try. I had read good reviews about their new cd Ghost Reveries, so I went ahead and picked up that and Blackwater Park.

Wow, is all I can say. The music is so much more interesting and dynamic than I was expecting. Blackwater Park is really doing it for me. I was worried about the vocals, not being a fan of the coockie monster vocals, but it’s actually used pretty tastefully and not nearly as often as I feared. I like it so much I went ahead and ordered Damnation and Deliverance.

Anyway I was quite impressed.

If you aren’t a fan of the growling, then you definitely do need to get Opeth’s album Damnation. Its completely without growling and is really a tremendous album. A few years ago I saw them and Porcupine Tree (the lead singer produced their album) and it was 2 hours or so of some seriously good music and musicianship.

Opeth are great. I particularly like Morningrise. Haven’t got their latest yet, I blew my discretionary budget on video games for my kids - Christmas approaches. Hmmm… in February then…

Oh, and if you like Opeth, you might also want to sample some Control Denied.

If you aren’t a fan of the growling, then you definitely do need to get Opeth’s album Damnation. Its completely without growling and is really a tremendous album.

That’s great to hear. Though I’m pretty happy with things as they are on Blackwater Park. Not enough of that growling shit to get on my nerves and when it is used it feels more like an accent to the music than the gimmick it usually does to me. I’m not putting it down by the way, it’s just not my thing.

A few years ago I saw them and Porcupine Tree (the lead singer produced their album) and it was 2 hours or so of some seriously good music and musicianship.

Everywhere I go I keep reading good stuff about Porcupine Tree. Guess I’m going to have to buy that one as well.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to give 'em a listen.

Yeah, opeth is pretty smate.

I continue to hear people creaming over Opeth and seeing the rave reviews. I was going to pick up the new Depeche Mode CD for my wife, but she may have to take one for the team and await a bit longer.

Bring back actual singers, I say!

-Midnight Son, that old skool rocker.

Jesus… just kill yourself.

Anyway, yeah, Porcupine Tree is definitely worth a listen. Their album In Absentia has some really cool moments.

Their latest, Deadwing, is also worth checking into.

Ghost Reveries kicks ass, far and away my favorite Opeth release.

Anyway, yeah, Porcupine Tree is definitely worth a listen. Their album In Absentia has some really cool moments.[/quote]

Hey, there’s a whole bunch of no-talent feces being put out nowadays that dares to call itself “metal.” Gutteral growling just doesn’t do it for me.

The problem is, you have no idea what you are talking about, but that doesn’t stop you from needlessly flapping your gums.

Here’s what I’m talking about: I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve downloaded a mp3 to try and it would start out with a kickass guitar riff and I’d think to myself “This could be a good song!” and then some throat cancer survivor will start growling unintellibly and ruin everything!

/End Rant :lol:

Maybe check out Open Hand’s latest album. Very crunchy guitars, but totally melodic singing. I wouldn’t go anywhere near a “metal” label… but it’s good rock guitars.

As for Opeth, great music, a bit too growly for me. I need breaks! Fans of Opeth may enjoy Poison The Well and/or From Autumn to Ashes… a bit more singing (particular on FAtA) but good screamy melodic stuff.

Just because you are unable to find decent music, does not mean it does not exist. Therefore it stands to recon that all music does not suck.

/end obvious observation

Just because I don’t like something doesn’t mean “OMFG, they are the best EVAR!”

/end argument

Opeth is a fantastically dynamic band. I’ve been enjoying their new album quite a bit (listening to it right now in fact).

Damnation is really one of the best metal-that-isn’t albums ever to have been released. Absolutely no growling on that one (or very little).

And as far as growling goes, Opeth is pretty good at it, and the dual vocals really adds a lot.

But I’d disagree with an Opeth/Control Denied crossover. Control Denied is Death with a different singer (but still masterminded by Chuck (RIP)), and it’s not really even the same kind of music. Plus, the vocals on that one, rather than being straight growling, are actually piercing growling shrieks. Which can wear on a person who’s looking for actual singing.

Me personally, when I listen to metal nowadays, all of the vocals, regardless of type, tend to just blend as another instrument for me. So if the growling fits well with the music, I enjoy it, and if it clashes, then it’s a no go.

I started off hating death metal vocals. I remember listening to a promo of In Flame’s Jester Race and thinking, great music but completely ruined by the vocals. It wasn’t until someone turned me onto Dark Tranquillity and Mikael Stanne’s great vocal work, that I actually grew to love the growl. :P

As far as Opeth, I was always fond of Blackwater Park and My Arms Your Hearse, but I haven’t paid much attention to them after their last couple of “clean” albums.

Anyway, yeah, Porcupine Tree is definitely worth a listen. Their album In Absentia has some really cool moments.[/quote]

Hey, there’s a whole bunch of no-talent feces being put out nowadays that dares to call itself “metal.” Gutteral growling just doesn’t do it for me.[/quote]

Check out Damnation at least. It’s like a 20 year throwback to the days of metal. Very melodic and precisely crafted.