Oprah 2020?

Oprah blew the doors off the Golden Globe awards show with this speech. Of course, the big news is whether or not Oprah will uphold her previous statements that she has no interest in running for President. Do we need another uber-rich person with no political experience in the White House? Will The Rock be her running mate? Who would oppose her in the Democratic primary race?

It was a darn good speech, but will she actually make a run for it?

Full transcript.

That’s not her Golden Globes speech. Full video of that is linked over in the America thread.

With a few hours to reflect on it…I sort of doubt it. She is sort of the anti Trump in many ways (a woman, African American, compassionate, etc.) I have a feeling the public may go for a candidate who is, frankly, kind of a boring and regular politician with a traditional politician’s resume.

I’d like someone qualified to be President for a change. It’s not her.

It takes more than a speech to be president.

I’ll have to watch her speech later, so maybe that can change my mind, but I find it disgusting that Democrats are going to copy republicans in electing “Some random rich uber celebrity” to run for president. We (democrats) are supposed to be better than them, not fall to their level.

Are we (the democratic party) so bankrupt of leadership that we have to do this?

Thanks for the heads up I change the link

I don’t consider myself a Democrat, but I completely agree. Nothing at all against Oprah, but she lacks the qualifications. Sure, maybe she gives a great speech and oozes charisma, but I want a candidate who knows how to get things done in government.

I’d gladly take an Oprah over Trump or any other candidate this god-awful Republican party would nominate these days, but surely we can do better. We have to do better.

That’s how I feel. If I’m in a ballot booth in 2020 looking at an Oprah or Trump choice, I’m going to hit the Oprah button with very little hesitation. I really hope that’s not a scenario that actually happens.

There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that this is categorically incorrect.

You also have to make up mean nicknames for your opponents.

My big objection against Oprah, besides her complete inexperience as a working politician would be some of her terrible promotion of junk medicine and anti-vax BS.

I always used to mock the idea put forward by royalists in the UK that having an elected head of state would lead to a celebrity like Richard Branson (no idea why he was the one that was always suggested, he’s not that famous) being voted president. Now I’m beginning to think they’re right.

Their alternative is being born into it, which hardly seems better. What if Prince Harry is a twat?

What do you mean “if”?

Who would be the example of a great president who did nothing besides give a speech?

Who said anything about “great”?

What would be an example of the word “great” appearing in your original post?

No more celebrity presidents, please. Or celebrity politicians. The presidency is not a high school popularity contest, stop treating it like one. How about people who have dedicated their lives to public service instead of people who have dedicated their lives to their own fame and enrichment?