Optimus Prime endorses WoW:

Well, I do have the former, maybe that’s it.

SORRY GUYZ NO REEL OPTIMUS ROBOT IN THE CLIP

Blame the twat in marketing who says “People should come to OUR site to see the video. Why should we be giving Youtube free traffic?”

I’ve worked with a couple of guys who thought this way. Oh yeah, like Google really gives a fuck about your 60000 pageviews.

Lost traffic = free bandwidth.

Spread the word!

“Hey, can we remove the Youtube logo from the video? Can we make it so that users can’t directly link to the video because we want it to only be accessible from our website.”

Me: sigh No, we you can’t remove the Youtube logo because you’re using their service. If you want to make it accessible from our site alone, we’ll have to host the video and pick up the bandwidth costs.

“We can’t do that. It’s too expensive to host our own videos due to bandwidth costs. Speaking of which, can you make the website less than 200kb?”

me: But it won’t look good or even moderately presentable. We’ll have to reduce the quality of every image of the website to JPEGs with incredibly bad compression. We have to go with a minimalist design in order to make the site as streamlined as you’d like.

“No, we need more pictures on the website. There are users in the Philippines who can’t browse the website because it’s 500kb. We should stop giving Youtube free traffic. We should not be endorsing Google.”

me: …

I should note that none of these people in the Philippines actually bought our games, and those of who did can afford proper internet connections. Also: the Philippines has 512kbps broadband, you overpaid dumbass.

And man, who cares if we’re using Google or Youtube? We’re not Microsoft or Yahoo so stop acting like it.

I also find it funny that a lot of companies, both big and ones which are so small as to be completely insignificant refuse to use Gmail because Google might be spying on your little deals. Oh no! Yeah, Google really wants to steal your piggybank money by snooping through millions of personal emails because they don’t have money of their own. That must be it.

But they’ll gladly use an insecure Microsoft exchange server that can be hacked by some 13 year old with tools and too much time on his hands. God forbid that they try Linux, if nothing else. Open source equals zero security!

Also, you know how a lot of business cards contain MSN addresses? Well, not these ones. We wouldn’t want to give Microsoft free advertising by putting MSN addresses on our contact cards. They should pay us!

My sympathies Sol, back in my sysadmin/netadmin days I had a few management conversations like that.

The trick is to simply not feed information to that kind of manager since they will always misinterpret it into some sort of bad decision. If necessary, lie to them some too to make sure they aren’t motivated into semi random acts of management.