Options when going bald

Slyfrog was thinning 7 years ago. He probably looks like a nice shiny egg these days.

I think its obvious that you must not be seen in public anymore.

I think you should probably look into being a hermit.

I have never been seen in public - this does not stop me from having to resolve my hair issues.

Honestly though, I went to shaving/buzzing my head years ago now. I just wish I could find something that isn’t ridiculously expensive that would make it easier to do. I’ve used both a safety razor and a hair trimmer - neither are particularly convenient or quick. You’d think it would be easier/faster to just buzz the hair off your head.

A hat? Maybe an old-timey flat cap?

Wear a hood

Er not the klansman kind—I meant the cloak/hoodie kind

This. It’s what I use. Fabulous, if a little fragile. Don’t buy their blades, though. Get compatible ones from the drug store.

Hmmm, I’d be so scared of nicks and cuts.

That’s weird. Can you just use a double razor blade in it? Or do you have to use the stupid expensive Mach 8 type blades with the three or four blades thing?

I want to believe the skullshaver works, but it gets too many inconsistent reviews for me to risk $100+.

I use generic double blades in it. As long as you get the ones that fit the little adapters that come with the Headblade, it’s fine. It really does work well.The only time cuts are an issue is if you let the blade get dull, which sadly I am prone to do. Keep sharp blades in there and it is really effective and safe.

I’ve already killed a shaver head inside 6 months. Do not recommend the skull shaver.

Super happy with my safety razor with shaving soap and brush, though. Enthusiastic recommendations, even if you have kinda bounced off as stated upthread.

Bought a set of clippers years ago, started with no.3 all over, then went to no.1 now i just use the clippers. Weekly usually. Wife finishes round the edges using my face shaver clipper bit. Saves me 12-15 quid going to barbers and paid for itself within a few uses. 30 quid or something.

For me, the issue with clippers and using a hand safety razor is time. I shave it alone in the shower, and I feel like I have to make two thousand passes over everything to be sure I got it.

When I get out of the shower I check the back with a mirror, but it’s still annoying wasteful of time. I want something faster.

Some kind of robo-barber helmet is required.

Do clippers use the same sizes in US and UK?

Not sure. Here it is in millimetres.

edit: just checked and i was wrong. i guess its in olde timey measurements.

no.3 says 3/8" 9.5mm,
no.2 is 1/4" 6mm
no.8 is 1" 25mm

I use a shaver set to lowest once a week. Close enough to bald without all the work and cuts of proper razors.

I just got the Headblade Moto. I see no possible way of fitting a generic double blade into it. How exactly are you doing that?

Well, not generic in the sense of any double blade, but I’ve found that you don’t have to use their branded blades. There should be an adapter, or two (yellow plastic) that fit different types of blades. Might have to eyeball it or experiment.

I’m talking about a safety razor blade. Double edge safety razors.

In any event, I got one, I tried it with the blade it came with, and I’m gonna stick with my safety razor.