Opus Magnum (from Zachtronics of SpaceChem/Infinifactory fame)

Just picked it up, does it use Steam friends? Anyone feel free to add me (Leeabe on Steam), I suck at this kind of stuff though…

Yes, you can compare your results to all your friends on Steam. I am typically in the middle, optimizing for cost and area because I can’t help myself. I want to optimize for cycles but it just physically hurts me everytime I put down a new component or sprawl outwards.

I’ll be sure to check Richard Holt isn’t on my friends list before grabbing that game.

Without people like him I would never have been motivated to optimize my solutions as much as I did. I still usually fell short, but him and others set the bar high.

I just got the game, and already spent the first hour on the last TUTORIAL level only, chasing you guys on the leaderboard.

I am exactly on the same boat.
The shocker was when I figured that the game tracked your best score in each of the areas, meaning you need to figure 3 solutions optimized in a different way. I was desperately trying to figure for the last 30 minutes how Rob managed to use 15 cycles over 7 areas using only a single arm, before I realized that!

Not knowing that would definitely make the game harder :-)

2 cycles away from Rob (how did he optimize that first move! grumblegrumble), but I must confess I just got a little orgasm right now building this.

90 minutes, and still haven’t played the first stage! aaaah… need help…

Well, you’ve definitely got the hang of it. Two cycles faster than my best solution.

I actually jumped ahead of @jsnell and @robc04 on something for once. 40g for Airship Fuel on chapter 1! I’m sure they’ll fix that right away…

Done!

I’ve been able to match my leader board friends in cost 5 out of 5 times, matched them 4 out of 5 times in area, but only 2 out of 5 for cycles. On one I’m 9 cycles behind. I have to take consolation that I’m good on the global bar graph because there are clearly people who are awesome at this game that I can’t keep up with.

I seem to remember the same sort of various approach thing in Spacechem? So long ago, I can hardly gather my souvenirs.
I can see the number of cycles factor being where the game is to me.

Dang it, you are my nemesis robc04: you are always that one or two cycles ahead of me!
And God forbid if I ever learn one day how you managed to pull it over only 8 areas on that hangover puzzle.

If you want to really feel the heat Left Empty, jsnell is my personal nemesis.

I just finished Health Tonic and I can’t imagine how 2 of my GWJ friends got an area of 14. jsnell got 18 and I got 19. 14 seems absolutely nuts.

I just edged out @jsnell (for now) in cycles and cost. I have to say I’d never be able to come up with these solutions if I didn’t see other peoples’ better scores. My first solutions are usually fairly bad in all 3 scoring categories.

Well, you guys actively score chasing has made me want this game so I picked it up. If we’re not already friends, please add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/arrendek

Thanks

Thanks for the tip!

It is why I prefer to keep my nemesis within arm’s reach!

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to pick this up. Love some score-chasing and I loved SpaceChem. This looks so good too.

<one_of_us.gif>

I am hitting a slight wall on all my hiscore chasing, be it in the area, cost or cycles leaderboards, so I am thinking there is a basic mechanic that might be eluding me, as some of them are clearly unfeasable with my current knowledge (hangover cure in under 9 areas, for instance).