Opus Magnum (from Zachtronics of SpaceChem/Infinifactory fame)

I seem to remember the same sort of various approach thing in Spacechem? So long ago, I can hardly gather my souvenirs.
I can see the number of cycles factor being where the game is to me.

Dang it, you are my nemesis robc04: you are always that one or two cycles ahead of me!
And God forbid if I ever learn one day how you managed to pull it over only 8 areas on that hangover puzzle.

If you want to really feel the heat Left Empty, jsnell is my personal nemesis.

I just finished Health Tonic and I can’t imagine how 2 of my GWJ friends got an area of 14. jsnell got 18 and I got 19. 14 seems absolutely nuts.

I just edged out @jsnell (for now) in cycles and cost. I have to say I’d never be able to come up with these solutions if I didn’t see other peoples’ better scores. My first solutions are usually fairly bad in all 3 scoring categories.

Well, you guys actively score chasing has made me want this game so I picked it up. If we’re not already friends, please add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/arrendek

Thanks

Thanks for the tip!

It is why I prefer to keep my nemesis within arm’s reach!

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to pick this up. Love some score-chasing and I loved SpaceChem. This looks so good too.

<one_of_us.gif>

I am hitting a slight wall on all my hiscore chasing, be it in the area, cost or cycles leaderboards, so I am thinking there is a basic mechanic that might be eluding me, as some of them are clearly unfeasable with my current knowledge (hangover cure in under 9 areas, for instance).

Hangover Cure in 38 cycles means I beat ya’ll by 1. Finally, caught youse guys on something.

Nice! I thought there was another cycle to be found in this one, and it was bugging me that I couldn’t see it.

Nice job. I think Richard matched you though :-)

I’m still behind.

56 cycles on Armor Filament (chapter 2)!

I have finally matched everybody’s 62 cycles on Raffined Gold, although I have no idea how I managed to successfully pull off the ( I think needed?) slightly desynched chain, as I was going through the process using merely intuition and some trial and error. I think the lack of this approach is what keeps me away from the higher tier, as I used the reset order all the time on all my puzzles.

Well, because you mentioned it, I went back and tried it too. I was stuck on 63 cycles, very frustrating!

I also had to use desynched commands to get to 62, but until just now I hadn’t figured out that you can right-click and drag on the program area to scroll your program and thus get more space for instructions.

What do you guys mean by desynched? A 62 on that puzzle should be totally straightforward, no tricks needed.

And just to get back into the game, I shaved off one more cycle from Chapter 2 puzzles of Hair Product (50), Mist of Incapacitation (26) and Courage Potion (26).

I believe you, but I couldn’t figure it out. In order to get 62 I had to move the gold atom off the converter in the same cycle it got created. This is on an odd-numbered cycle, so the arm that moves it off has to be out of sync with the ones moving the mercuries on to the converter. It’s actually even weirder than that, though. I had to have 6 empty cycles between delivering the first lead and the second, but seven cycles between the second and the third, and every one after that. I still don’t really understand it.

Can’t we focus on Armor Filament, where I’m still 2 cycles ahead of you?!? (The only one where I’m ahead of you!)

But that kind of thing is totally normal and harmless :) Just to check, did you notice that programs can start from any time slot, and they’ll basically do the right thing when looping. (So if you have two programs of length 4, with A starting on cycle 1 and B on cycle 2, you get an execution of 1: A1, 2:A2B1, 3: A3B2, 4:A4B3, 5:A1B4, 6:A2B1, etc).

Ah. That sounds odd indeed, especially this early on. There’s a couple of later puzzles where a competitive solution requires writing out the full execution with no looping. Those puzzles are the worst.

This is true. This game needs better control structures, and possible some kind of procedure call syntax.

Here’s my 62 cycle Refined Gold solution, since everyone seems to have got there now. I’d love to see other people’s as mine is very boring.

https://imgur.com/qGQPUtS.gif