Opus Magnum (from Zachtronics of SpaceChem/Infinifactory fame)

But that kind of thing is totally normal and harmless :) Just to check, did you notice that programs can start from any time slot, and they’ll basically do the right thing when looping. (So if you have two programs of length 4, with A starting on cycle 1 and B on cycle 2, you get an execution of 1: A1, 2:A2B1, 3: A3B2, 4:A4B3, 5:A1B4, 6:A2B1, etc).

Ah. That sounds odd indeed, especially this early on. There’s a couple of later puzzles where a competitive solution requires writing out the full execution with no looping. Those puzzles are the worst.

This is true. This game needs better control structures, and possible some kind of procedure call syntax.

Here’s my 62 cycle Refined Gold solution, since everyone seems to have got there now. I’d love to see other people’s as mine is very boring.

https://imgur.com/qGQPUtS.gif

Oh, I like yours better than mine.

Mad props for managing to use a 6-arm for something that’s not radially symmetric. It’s probably the least useful piece in the game.

Ha! Thanks, I accept your props. And in exchange I give you this:

That’s a lot of spinning! Looks like three rotary telephones went through the teleporter in the Fly.

Josh, how do you reduce the size of your animated gif down to < 1 MB? When I created mine it’s almost 5MB so it is too large to post here.

I didn’t, I think the size of the resulting GIFs just varies wildly depending on the solution. The Refined Gold one I posted was too big and I had to upload it to imgur and post the link here, the Face Powder one was small enough to upload here directly.

Ah, OK. Thanks

Here is my solution for Refined Gold.

I have a question. I had to program it like this…

Is there a simpler way to do this without all the repeat blocks? I couldn’t get it to work if I just let it reset to the first instruction.

I bet jsnell has a better answer, but your 1 and 2 arms have a 4-instruction cycle, and your 3 and 4 arms have a 10-instruction cycle. So you’ll have to repeat your 1 and 2 arms 5 times, and your 3 and 4 arms twice, so everything comes out 20 instructions. As he mentioned earlier, they don’t all have to start on the same cycle (vertical column); they’ll all repeat at the end of whatever the longest one is. At least I think that’s how it works.

Super similar to Rob’s here:

My program is an even uglier mess, because of a still lacking comprehension of the inner meanings of these commands:

Wow, that is similar!

I’m pretty sure you’re right, but it just doesn’t feel intuitive. Sometimes the coding stays nice and simple with how the lines repeat and sometimes it is just a mess.

No point in posting the animation, it’s a very similar layout (just pushing rather than rotating some with some of the arms). But this is what I had for the program:

Sure enough, two repeats for the 10-instruction cycles, and 5 repeats for the 4-instruction cycles.

Sure, let’s focus on that one ;-) 50.

The moment you posted that, I thought, “careful what you wish for”

I’m still iterating over Stabilized Water! At this rate, it’s going to take me forever to finish the game.

Can some of you Opus Magnum wizards fire me a friend request on Steam? I’m “Periastron” there, same as here. I like having competitive leaderboard targets to shoot for. :)