Orcs Must Die 3 is a 1 year stadia exclusive

… what’s a stadia?

Video game streaming service that dozens of people use.

So this is out and widely available now. It would seem the reception outside of the four Stadia purchasers a year ago is that it is like OMD 2 2.0 which I suppose is a rather good thing. There are forum claims that it supports ultra wide and I have a buddy that loves the franchise, so I am jumping in. It is time again to help all the orcs die.

That’s what I’ve been seeing too and yeah, that would be awesome if true.

Let us know how it goes. If it’s a proper successor to OMD2 I’m happy to give them full price for it.

Well… It doesn’t go. I can’t get it to launch. I have done the usual song and dance (update graphic driver, check for windows updates, verify files, reinstall) and it still won’t launch. I suspect it is stuck at some step wanting permissions to run. If I set it to run as administrator, it gets as far as the dialogue asking if I want Unknown Publisher to update files on this PC. If I say yes, it loops and asks again. If I say no it closes. That is the best I can do, otherwise I get a black screen and nothing until I finally go look at taskmanager to confirm it is not responding.

So… yeah. Looks like a refund candidate as there is not much to go on for what is going wrong. They launched some hotfixes today about HDR. I am on my third install just to be sure.

Crap, that’s disappointing. I’ll probably try it anyway just to see if I run into the same issues.

On this last install if gives me the error:

“The UE4-OMD Game has crashed and will…
Fatal error!”

I purchased it and have had no issues. Not sure if I will keep it as it seems to be just like the first two games. Nothing innovative (I would have liked to have a trap only way to playing just to mix it up a bit (but I guess that is Dungeon Warfare series).

I don’t like the fact that the key settings do not allow enough customization. I would like to switch my number keys from traps to whatever I want, but if you use a number when you earn the next trap in the progression it doesn’t seem to recognize that I was using the number for something else. Just give me the ability to make any key be what I want it to be.

I was able to boot the game finally. I agree. This feels like OMD 2 ver1.2. It is a bit prettier, but they played it super safe after Unchained. I understand, and that is a good call, but it is so safe that it doesn’t feel like a new game.

Honestly? Good. 2 worked incredibly well, in my opinion, my biggest fear was that they’d screw it up. More OMD2 with more stuff and a bit prettier is exactly what I wanted from this game.

I am playing co-op with my son. This game shines at playing with a friend. I will keep this to play that way but doubt I will play a lot solo.

They did add something newer further in the game - you go back in time and added some special traps. I don’t remember anything like that in OMD 1 or 2.

Yeah! I missed this earlier this week but installing now. Cross fingers!

I haven’t been able to give it much time yet but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve been able to play quite a bit. I’m going to try some co-op with the friend I played through OMD2 with this weekend.

Sooo… I picked this up. It’s definitely MOTS–more characters, weapons, traps, and modes–and that’s what I was looking for since it’s been probably 4+ years since I’ve played OMD2. (Skipped the F2P game and couldn’t even be bothered after they reworked it.) Runs fine - no crashes or other notable bugs so far.

Only compaint would be the menu UI - it’s not a good experience. Like, I’ve maxed out a trap, even bought the two extensions, reached the trap-specific achievement,but I don’t know what I need to do to unlock the Special ability. It’s locked, and in any sensible UI hovering the mouse button over it would give me at least some kind of hint.

Also, I bought a new trap, but can’t select it in the game now. I know the previous game had the load-out configurator, but I have no clue how to do that in OMD3. (Will google after posting this.) It’s just bad. If the load-out config unlocks only after I’ve beaten a certain number of levels, don’t let me do stuff I’m not supposed to do yet. If that’s not the case, don’t hide it. Having played OMD 1 & 2, I shouldn’t have trouble doing this. Also, I don’t get why the menu you get after playing a session doesn’t let you quit the game. Nope, have to go two steps through the Campaign menu.

I missed this too but it’s right there, big as life in the prompts at the beginning of the level - press B. I think it was the same in OMD2, in fact.

Yes, you change the loadout same place you upgrade (B as @vinraith mentions above). I agree it is not intuitive. You have to click on a trap/weapon to empty the slot and then you can select the one you want.

Dang, there it is indeed. Thanks for the pointer! x_x

Does anyone know of a resource on how to beat certain maps on normal difficulty? I have googled some videos on some maps, but they are always using stuff that I have not unlocked yet.

There is one map, I forget its name, its around the middle of the first campaign. You have small bridge that leads to your rift. Then there is a door with orcs below (you can see it standing on the bridge), and then the orcs just run under the bridge and come up from the right into a court yard area. Then there is another door on a level above which eventually leads the courtyard area as well. Then its a short path across the bridge to a small enclosed space that can maybe made into a kill box. It is also the first map you encounter armored ogres on.

Anyway, I have no idea how to beat this map. There are also some other maps I have beaten but can not get the 5 skull victories on. I am playing on the normal difficulty. A guide would be nice for these maps if there is one out there.

Game has been around on Stadia for so long, surely you can just search on Youtube for the level?

I think I know which map you’re talking about. IIRC, when I beat it the first time, I was mostly relying on the base spike trap, wall arrows, and flame traps. If you haven’t upgraded your spike traps yet, you definitely want to do that now - the electricity upgrade helps against the armored orcs.

In either case, it’s a good idea to set up a bunch of traps at the entrance of the bridge where both enemy paths will unite and lead to the rift room. I usually set up 3 flame traps to protect against kobold runners followed by a row of spike traps. If there’s money left, add one wall arrow trap to the tunnel in front of the rift room as backup for orcs or trolls breaking through. The more money comes in, the more spike traps I add to that bridge. I usually don’t bother adding traps to either of the individual enemy paths until the bridge is loaded with traps and possibly secured by one or two wall arrows in the tunnel. Plus whatever ceiling traps you might have available.

Option A) Turn the tunnel and path in front of the rift room into the main kill zone since all enemies have to go through it regardless of which door they come from. That’s risky though given that there are armored orcs - if an enemy makes it through this, there’s no backup and they’ll immediately enter the rift.

Option B) - which is true for most maps: Focus your traps on one of the paths and largely focus yourself on the other pass, e.g. relying on your weapons and spells to fight off enemies from that door. After the second round or so, there should be enough money to line one of the two paths with a bunch of spike traps and wall arrows which significantly reduce the number of smaller enemies that actual make it to the critical crossing. Once the orcs and armored orcs arrive, make sure to kill of smaller enemies in front of them so that those can’t trigger the spike traps and wall arrows ahead of the heavies. Also, if a group from the lower door approaches the stairs, don’t forget to trigger the cauldron that’ll drop molten steel on them.

If a heavy breaks through, not all is lost since you can aggro them so that they try to attack you - which is when you lead them back into the kill zone for more spike and arrow damage. Also, you definitely will need to practice headshots because those are the best thing when facing a heavy.