Orcs Must Die

www.orcsmustdie.com

Tower defense, third person, XBLA and Steam game from Robot Entertainment. I didn’t see a thread for this yet, but now we have release dates.

Oct 5 - XBLA
Oct 12 - Steam

I played a bit of this at PAX and it seemed pretty fun. If the price is right, I’ll pick it up on Steam.

I hate it when there’s an Orc Attack.

That does look like fun.

I’m a little disappointed that Orcs Must Die is basically being put up against Dungeon Defenders. Two excellent defense games in two weeks period?

I’m a little disappointed you actually think Dundeon Defenders would make this deadline ;)

TrendyEnt on Twitter seems to be pretty certain about this one. Considering XBLA lead times, I think they game is basically in Microsoft’s hands now.

Hope it has more replay value than Trenched.

I played a fair bit at E3. Quite solid. Looking forward to it.

Looks interesting but also worryingly like a game that game developers make for themselves because they are bored with games that normal people can play. So you have to jump & run around a dungeon, place traps and shoot orcs while a horde of those same orcs is rushing you? That demo video looked rather daunting…

I actually found it pretty approachable, although I have played plenty of tower defense in my day. Something about the silly take on orcs–flying through the air launched by giant comedy springs–makes it seem pretty easy to get into to.

Our community team made a pretty cool (IMO) interactive trailer that gives you a better sense of the gameplay:

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Interactive-Orcs-Must-Die-Gameplay-Video-Released

The controls and the early levels make it pretty easy to pick up. You only start out with a handful of traps and a relatively simple level to en-trap-ify. It gets gloriously chaotic later on though.

Deciding where to spend your time is definitely a key part of the game - do I put more archers on the balcony, or fling orcs to their death at a key chokepoint, or finish a trap combo I was working on previously, or deal with that runner that just evaded my entry traps…

You also have breaks between every N waves where you can take as long as you want to rearrange your trap layout, recover your wits, etc.

Ah… Had to enable annotations to get your interactive video to work… But, good idea to show a video demo of the game and allowing the viewer to pick some options :)

Looks fun.

How much?

There’s a rumor (did I just start it?) that this game is a proof of concept for a remake of Dungeon Keeper. Looks awesome to me.

Love the look of this. I really like the new direction folks are taking with tower defense games. Between this Sanctum and Dungeon Defenders there are a lot of neat ideas out there.

Our demo is out now on Steam!

XBLA version goes on sale Wednesday.

I am so completely burned out on tower defense games it isn’t even funny, but I have been seriously anticipating this one. Downloading NOW!

Weird, won’t download for me.

Yea, I clicked the button right before my reply, but yours prompted me to go look in my Library. It isn’t downloading yet, nor is is queued. I’ll have to remember to try again in a few hours.

A few other people have mentioned that problem.

I think because it literally JUST went up it is taking a little bit of time to propagate through the system… fingers crossed! :)