Order of the Stick

Yeah, I think like a 9th level spell though. True Resurrection? That’s my 3rd edition knowledge, not sure about whatever game world Rich is working within. It would really, really suck for this to be the end of our Dwarf friend. I have a theory that when our heroes stop the end of the world, the gods will intervene (Thor, probably) and bring him back. Just a theory, but I hope something like that can happen.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

So I guess ashes from vampire death would count?

I think the bigger issue at hand is whether Durkon would WANT to be resurrected. Folks might point to Roy as an example of another good-aligned character who went back despite being in paradise, but Dwarves are another case, as the flashback points out – it’s not their alignment that determines where they end up, but the specific circumstances of their demise.

Of course that raises another question: Is briefly taking control of the evil spirit that possesses your body and committing suicide a Valhalla-worthy act?

I think that would count as a “heroic sacrifice”, so yes. And he was technically in battle, which helps.

The first time he died was also in battle. I think he’s earned two Valhallas. This has been a rough afterlife for him so far.

You can also use a wish, since resurrection is one of the standard requests, and it doesn’t care if you have a bit of the body or not. But if the party had access to wish they’d have used it by now. And in the circumstances I doubt Durkon would want to come back anyway. Though I’m sure he will reappear as one of those ghostly planar spirits like Roy’s dad. He’d probably find valhalla boring and childish. But maybe he’ll become some kind of dwarven archon of Thor…

For what it’s worth, True Resurrection was ruled out by Rich a while back, so it’s unlikely to feature here.

Afterdeath

I carry my fists in my heart!

Wow he’s been knocking them out pretty quickly lately.

Hmm. We still don’t know if they’re in Valhalla or Hel. I would imagine that the young cleric would have gone to Valhalla though… she unambiguously died in combat.

Fluffy white clouds. I’m guessing on the far side of the Bifrost from Valhalla, probably have to walk over.

Call Answering

That was a perfect exchange of dialog. So good.

I wonder if, now that Durkon has made it to an extraplanar cloudy place without many features, except for a tower, we might be swerving to another narrative track, namely Xykon and his mysterious fortress he built on the Plane of Limbo?

Past tense of dinnae is didnae, comic creator person.

Like from the Scotish dialect? I think it can be used as both, depending on the region, but I’m no expert or anything.

Huh. Still holding out hope for resurrection, eh?

A Mile in His Shoes

Pay really good attention to the last panel, so you understand why those weren’t fluffy clouds. ;)