Ori and the Blind Forest

I don’t enter games for Playstation threads, so I’m wondering, are people bitching and moaning as much about PS exclusives in those threads as well?

I thought that one is a timed exclusive?

Over 99% positive reviews on Steam so far. That doesn’t happen often.

Nope.

Nope, since Sony does a much better job supporting indie developers and their games. Also, since Microsoft badly fumbled their transition into the latest generation, more people have PS4s than Xbox Ones. That mean being a Sony exclusive isn’t as dire a prospect as being a Microsoft exclusive. Sony also doesn’t have a history of jerking around PC users.

-Tom

I’ve only skimmed this thread, are there issues with the PC version?

Too busy to read an entire page? ;-) No-one has mentioned any issues that I know of.

Wouldn’t you expect Xbox owners to whine more then (since they get fewer titles as you indicate)?

I dunno, I’ve just never understood the crying about “why isn’t this game on my platform of choice” mentality.

Well, I’m at work and it’s been a busy morning, but all this talk about GFW Live and some comments I see made me think there was an actual issue or something. Thanks for the reply!

Sony also has CrossBuy generating positive feedback.

Haha touche.

Anyway all kidding aside, I totally agree with your point, it seems crazy that this game isn’t available for the PS4, and I’m saying that as someone that didn’t buy either of the new consoles and only plays PC games at this point.

I’m sure they do. But with so few of them, you never notice the whining.

Gotcha!

-Tom

Well I’m whining about the lack of impressions in this thread. The game’s pretty, no doubt, is anyone actually playing it and feel like sharing?

It’s waaaaaaay harder than the aesthetic implies. Remember Viva Pinata? Remember how you saw the candy-piñata animals, the catchy music, mating dances, and humor and thought this would be a game for kids, then got into it and quickly realized that the systems were actually really complicated and the progression was actually kind of tough? That’s this game, but as a platformer.

I’ve been busy with Cities: SKylines, so I haven’t put a lot of time into this, but the couple of hours I’ve played it has been much harder than the marketing of a gentle friend story led me to believe it would be.

From the first hour-plus I played, the art is beautiful – one of the prettiest games I’ve ever played. The game play is standard platforming/Metroid stuff. The controls feel good. It is definitely not easy.

Xbox 360 controller, wired or with wireless dongle, PC connected to TV, fire up game through Steam, you would have no idea about Microsoft or which console and just enjoy the game on your sofa the way you would if you had spent $350 on a One.

Wow. The intro to this game is just gorgeous in every sense of the word. Not just visually, but musically and emotionally too.

Reminded me of the beginning of Up in some ways.

I have to run it without gamepad or else it hangs oddly. I can plug in the gamepad once the game has started.

It is not standard metroidvania stuff. It’s metroidvania crossed with Super Meat Boy, which I don’t think qualifies as “standard platforming”. It’s not has hard as Super Meatboy (at least so far), but it has platforming stuff that’s much more difficult than anything seen in a Metroid or a Castlevania (yadda yadda horse heades and shitty wall jump controls; we’re past the era where those things were used as difficulty crutches, thank god).

I’m not sure I would advise anyone who didn’t like Super Meatboy to get it, even though it’s not on that level.

It’s totally standard platforming stuff, just not at a standard difficulty. The more I play, the more I think they overshot the difficulty on this. I don’t mind dying and the thrill of overcoming a challenge, but Ori goes a little too far. I only have so much time as a grown up to replay things over and over to memorize the timing. I would like to stick with this, but I might have to wait until I can block out some time to get good at it.

It’s been a while since a game had me ready to hurl the controller out the window, but the escape sequence here, holy cow! I don’t think the normal gameplay is all that difficult because you can save anywhere, but suddenly taking that ability away for a fiendlishly long timed run with zero tolerance for mistakes and no checkpoints is a rather jarring move. And when it’s done, the game gets positively tranquil again.