Oriental Empires 4X

thanks, belouski!

Is this like a Total War scenario where battles can be automated? Or is it the core of the game / have to play them?

The battles can only be automated, akin to Dominions. They definitely are not core to the game, but are pretty important as the AI is aggressive.

I just remembered another somewhat frustrating, but interesting mechanic is Satisfaction. Your nobles and peasants’ satisfaction are both tracked in the game. It isn’t too hard to keep the nobles happy so long as you don’t pass too many laws that piss them off. Peasants are much more tempermental and it is always tempting to overwork them, only to get hit by a famine, start starving and have a revolt. That will in turn give a good chance your peasant units in the army may revolt and join the uprising.

It is another facet of the really enjoyable, albeit sometimes frustrating domestic issues you need to learn to manage.

Sounds like it’s worth a spin. Despite it sounding like it has some issues, I like the sound of the combat in terms of design. I actually hate manually controlling every regiment/unit in Total War games. I love watching the battles unfold and I want some input/strategy on how things play out, but I hate wrangling units these days. So the design actually sounds like more of what I’m looking for, although it sounds like they haven’t hit the mark!

Thanks for all the info. I picked up the game. At under $20, I can live with “interesting, but flawed”.

Also on the fence, Kevin. I’ll be interested to know what you think.

Arise thread, for the time of the Great Khans is coming!.. I’d offer a lengthy summary but the store page practically covers everything in words and pictures itself. You want bigger map that extends westwards to Caspian Sea? Done. You want new factions and units? Done. New buildings, technologies and resources? Done.

Game is on sale for $10.20 (66% off). Is it worth that?

I think so if you are willing to put with some frustrations in trying to get your units to do what you want them to do during the action phase.

This is now on Steam sale for $5.99 until 3/15. Civ clone with some minimal control over battles. Somehow I had not run across this one before but am tempted to add it to the backlog for a rainy day.