Oscars 2023 - Now With Less Slapping

I don’t think it has to be ranked among the Very Serious™ movies to be part of the canon, and I think it’s instantly recognizable as part of the film canon. Even attempting to place it among movies like Schindler’s List or The Godfather is silly. That’s like asking where Kendrick Lamer fits in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. He doesn’t. That’s not what hip hop is about.

Everything Everywhere All at Once will likely be recognized “against type” at the Oscars in much the way Lord of the Rings was, because it’s so good at what it does that it can’t be denied. Galaxy Quest was snubbed even harder than The Matrix, for example, because they can’t stomach comedy as an art form, but action movies are occasionally thrown a bone. The nominations alone are recognition of that mastery of craft.

I’m mostly agreeing with you. I was just putting some caveats on Houngan’s formulation of whether EEAAO or Banshees would be in the top 20 a decade on. And I wasn’t comparing it with only serious movies or marble-hewn classics, just with a variety of still-talked-about movies from about 20 years ago.

I don’t think EEAAO is guaranteed to be talked about in 2040. Very worthy movies get forgotten. That’s the vicissitudes of history and culture. Like you, I think it absolutely deserves to be, though. And not as outsider art or a freak outlier, but as a movie that does well the things that pretty much all great movies try to do.

Yeah, I mean you can’t literally predict the future, but I would be surprised (like willing to bet a large sum of money) if it’s not still remembered then. On the other hand, I’ll be surprised (less so) if Banshees of Inisherin is talked about at all in 5 years, much less 20.

In fact, I’ll put my money where my mouth is. If anyone wants to take me up on a $1000 bet that Everything Everywhere All at Once is still remembered as a notable classic in [2040, to match your statement], I’m down to throw that cash down. Limit 1 customer per decade.

Heh, I’m regretting putting such specific numbers on it at this point, but no bet. My thinking is that once the novelty is in the rear view, it will take a lot of spin off the ball. Still my favorite movie of this year, though.

I mean the specifics aren’t really important. I’m just putting a concrete number on a bet I’m willing to make for real.

What I’m really saying is that I recognize a cultural landmark when I see one, and I see one here. Sometimes you can only see it in retrospect, but this is more of a Fury Road moment. It’s palpable.

This doesn’t sound great…

I hope they don’t pull this nomination. I enjoyed the film and her performance a lot, and as a longtime WTF listener, I was happy for Marc Maron. I also can’t tell what rules were supposedly broken.

You have to campaign for your film to be considered, but only in the RIGHT way.

They’ve yanked nominations before, but I don’t think for anything as high profile as Best Actress.

I imagine they just let it slide this year and tighten the rules for next year. The Ringer podcast I listened to this morning was discussing how this maneuver is probably a one-time thing, because it will either get banned or everyone will try to emulate it next year, but that won’t work because then they’ll all logjam in the final week before voting. Not to mention that everyone will see right through it.

I think the concern is that this is essentially the “old boy” network in action and that it blocked nominations from some very deserving black actresses such as Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler.

The thinking being that perhaps this is similar to a situation in a boardroom, where maybe current board members may not be actively blocking minorities, but they are actively trying to give a leg up to their white friends who maybe are less accomplished or less deserving then some other candidates who don’t look like them and don’t hang out in the same circles they do. IMO it’s not clear at all that that’s racist. But it is known that such a system does lead toward maintaining systemic racism.

Reminds me of the Best Song controversy for Alone yet Not Alone a weird Christian indie movie that no one had even heard of until it got this nomination in 2013.

Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel wrote, and Joni Eareckson Tada performed, Alone yet Not Alone’s namesake title song. “Alone yet Not Alone” received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 86th Academy Awards. However, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences soon discovered Broughton, former governor and current executive committee member of the Academy’s music branch, improperly contacting other members of his branch. They thus rescinded their nomination on January 29, 2014. Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs claimed that using a position of authority within the Academy to promote an Oscar submission “creates the appearance of an unfair advantage.”

This incident was not the first time the Academy rescinded a nomination. However, it was the first time the Academy Cited ethical grounds for it and the first time it did so on a scripted American-produced feature film. Broughton claimed an industry double standard, saying him sending out “70 or so emails” was comparable to Isaacs’ involvement in The Artist and The King’s Speech as an Academy governor.

They do anything about the “old boy” network blocking Never Rarely Sometimes Always from getting nominated for anything?

Called it

They are not going to do anything about the nomination. Good. I think it was stupid to even publicly announce it was being investigated in the first place. There is so much money spent on “for your consideration” campaigns, to call out this specific grassroots campaign for not following protocols would open up a whole can of worms on the nomination process as a whole.

I agree but I guess technically they didn’t call out this specific campaign, right?