Oshit (Another Medical Thread)

TMI WARNING.

So I’ve been pretty sick the last couple weeks, getting worse and worse, loopier and loopier. Basically been unable to do anything. Can’t think straight.

I woke up today to take out the trash, and noticed that the snotrags I was using had blood spackled on them, presumably from all the coughing I’ve been doing, and there are blood streaks in my toilet from blood in my vomit.

I was too out of it / loopy to notice or possibly care, I don’t remember.

I’m kinda pissed at myself that I didn’t go to a doctor. Probably will tomorrow.

Yes go to the doctor. I get blood when I blow my nose sometimes, but that’s mainly from having weak capillaries (something I’ve had since I was a kid, I get high altitude nosebleeds too.) But blood in your vomit is seriously bad news.

Doctor. Pronto. Leaking the red stuff is never a good sign, especially when you’re leaking it from deeper inside than, say, your nose or some scratch.

It’s not much blood. Probably from the same coughing that resulted in specks of blood when I cough.

/shrug

Whatever it is, I’m heading to the clinic in the morning.

This was, after all, yesterday’s trash/vomiting. :P

Coughing so much that you’re bleeding isn’t good either.

“Hey, I’ve been coughing up and vomiting blood! Eh, it can wait until tomorrow morning.”

“Hey, I was coughing up and vomiting blood around 24 hours ago, but haven’t since then. Eh, it can wait till morning.”

This is why older people say young people are stupid.

If I were coughing up and vomiting blood, the very first thing I’d do is make a post on a website forum.

No wait…

Naw, if I was coughing and vomiting blood, the first thing I’d do would be flush the damn toilet.

Don’t be surprised if you at least have pneumonia or something. You’ll learn from your weeks of recovery that next time you should go see a doctor sooner.

A few years ago I went to a doctor’s office - for the first time in a decade or two. My injured finger was not healing as quickly as my wife said was ok. It was broken, a “spiral” fracture they said. A nurse told me I was a great example of why married men lived longer (because our wives make us see a doctor).

OTOH, the healing had already begun and my low tech splint (TWO band-aids - one for each knuckle!) had done a good enough job setting it that it wasn’t worth rebreaking & getting a professional alignment.

Blood does sound like the stakes are higher than a simple mechanical problem though.

Doctor says…

… it’s a flu. Drink more fluids. Cough syrup or other cold meds to stop the coughing.

Gee, what a huge help.

Look on the bright side, now Mike and R and whoever else in the family can sue the doctor when you die!

This is true! And my family sure has enough lawyers for it!

I’m so glad that when I had my medical emergency last year I drove to the ER instead of posting here.