Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!: Rocking in the USA

Yes, that’s right. As the before E3 game trickle starts, it seems that this has been leaked. Notes from the toastyfrog:

and stuff like a U.S. version of Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, which is considerably more unexpected. Sadly, the rules of NDA mean that I can neither confirm nor deny rumors that it’s coming under the name “Elite Beat Agents” and that it’s been given entirely new scenarios and music, making it effectively a sequel to one of the best games on DS. Neither can I confirm that these theoretical new scenarios and music appear to be every bit as compelling as those in the original Japanese version of the game.I am authorized, however, to confirm that people whining about these ostensible changes due to some innate belief that everything Japanese is inherently better are complete idiots who need to be taken out and beaten.With bamboo rods, of course, because blunt objects of an Asian origin deliver superior beatings to American cudgels.

So, it will be all new songs and scenarios. But hey, a sequel to the game is still pretty nice, considering all the praise the original got.

This is the greatest day of my life.

Really wary of the new soundtrack. Not excited about tapping my stylus in time with “We Will Rock You.”

Yeah, the soundtrack could break this potentially incredible release, especially considering how Nintendo dealt with the Donkey Kongas.

As a side comment, I for one can’t wait to Elite Beat on my Wii.

I am authorized, however, to confirm that people whining about these ostensible changes due to some innate belief that everything Japanese is inherently better are complete idiots who need to be taken out and beaten.With bamboo rods, of course, because blunt objects of an Asian origin deliver superior beatings to American cudgels.

This (NSFW!) rose to mind. Singapore canes doesn’t look so cruel now, does it?

It will definitely either sink or swim based on soundtrack. Still, I’m amazed it even got to that point, never would have predicted it, and am cheerful to have been wrong.

This is great news! I love the original, so getting a sequel instead of a localization seems like the best of all possible worlds. Leibnitz would be totally pysched.

Ive been interested in this one, but haven’t picked it up yet. Guess I may have to import it.

You won’t regret it if you’re at all a fan of the music game genre. It’s by far the best DS game I own.

Somehow, “H-E-L-P!” just doesn’t have the same impact as “OUENDAN!”

Let’s tweak it a little…

“H-E-L-P! E.B.A.!”
or
“ELITE BEAT!” uh no…
or
“Men in Beat” uh, well…we need help. “OUENDAN!”

I hope they can come up with some wacky stuff for the US version too. Mediocre directors just don’t compare to giant mouses and violinists with diarrhea.

Any info about the song list yet?

That’s just it…I’m not…never have been. However, I’ve seen video of Ouendan and the whole tap and slide with the music beat seems like a lot of fun. Moreover, this is one of those games that for whatever reason, a staggeringly wide range of people seem to have fallen in love with.

[Scruffy] Seconded.

Seconded.

Seconded. [/Scruffy]

EDIT: By the way, remember that level in Ossu! where your cheerleaders fall through a time-rift, and have to help Cleopatra lose weight by motivating her to motivate her slaves to build her a magical pyramid? I’m thinking E.B.A. needs a similar level where you land in the Colonial Period and motivate the Founding Fathers into forming a truly bitchin’ nation. Possibly to the tune of the Beastie Boys “We’re not Gonna Take it.”

For what it’s worth, I’ve never been a fan of rhythm games either. I think my brain’s simply not wired right for it. (My thought’s that I prefer the majority of games where you use your input to conform the gamestate to your will; rhythm games are all about conforming your input to the gamestate’s will. Two different branches of the tree of gamelife, if you can dig it.) Chicken-and-egg-conundrum-like, I suck at every one of them I try.

I suck at Ouendan, too. But even so, I love it. It’s downright weird, and I have no explanation for how that works. It’s just that catchy.

And yup, bellowing “OUENDAAAN!” beats the pants off of “HEEEELP!” This has nothing to do with japanophilia, it’s the sheer phonemes of it. The latter’s a whiny pleading; the former is a bold magickal invocation, an eldritch summons, of the mystical Ouendan force that pervades all space and time to take form and come to your assistance.

You know, I kind of also liked it better when I had to just look at the pictures and guess at what crazy shit was going on.

I would change their objectives to motivating sl…ur, people to build Mt. Rushmore instead.

Back to the yell. These guys are from Beats Intelligence Agency, right? Let’s say they have an elite force, called, say, Technotronic Corp.
“I need help!”
“B.I.A.T.C.h!”
(Help needed. I can’t think of anything for the h…)