OU football down the toilet

And the rumor mill is in full alert: Not just Bomar and Quinn, but 6 other athletes are under investigation, and coming just months after OU just barely escaped the dreaded “Lack of institutional control” label with Kelvin Sampson and the basketball team…

Incidentally, the same place Bomar took money for no work was the same place Adrian Peterson had a “free Lexus” loan last Spring.

Crap. I was never a Bomar fan, but this sets the program back at least a season. Maybe Paul Thompson can step up.

Tsk Tsk, Oklahoma should pay more attention to the example Nebraska set in the 90s. The path to championships isn’t recruiting immoral players who will accept shady money, it’s recruiting insane players who will freak out and attack people.

Maybe the Boz can come back and beat some sense into people?

It’s so funny that the NCAA creates such an absurd situation with college sports and then policies the zany results.

If you bring man-children to institutions of higher learning where they perform for tens of thousands of people every week and do not give them shinies, this is what they do. Me no go class, me want shiny!

I do enjoy the fact that it seemed Bomar was just chomping at the bit to get into his second career path as a used car salesman.

Good news then: He can start right away!

A lot of college stuff happening. Several Canes players have been suspended. Arkansas’ star RB is in trouble…

Amazingly, nothing fishy at Alabama this year!

This problem won’t go away because college athletes are not being given an education in return for their performance on the field, which was the deal. Because the Universities have operated with the NCAA in a fashion to deprive college athletes of the college part, it is up to either the fans that put those players in that position, the NCAA, or the University to correct it. That means you either boost or you pay under the table, because the NCAA isn’t going to fix shit. Fair is fair.

Expecting football players to excel in academics is the same as expecting your doctor to know karate. It would be nice, but that’s not really why he’s there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Aj0yNFJurb0ZpOJhmx6gx90p1LYF?slug=ap-alabama-simpson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh yeah! Not likely to garner an NCAA sanction at least…

Dr. Richard Walton, a radiologist in San Antonio and starting quarterback for the University of Texas in 1998, would like to have a word with you.

That anecdote certainly contradicts the statistical information.

Where is this “statistical information” to which you refer?

Page ranking programs by their graduation rate. BYU is 12%!

Some programs do well, like Notre Dame, but in general the average has to be something like 50%.

General information here - looks like the graduation rate hovers around 60%.

Vanderbilt’s is good, and since I taught there I can tell you that a lot of the football players are VERY smart, as in smarter than most of the other Vandy students. I know Vandy isn’t what you have in mind, but I thought I’d throw that out there.

Well, yeah, some football players are smart. But ain’t nobody gonna give my alma mater $400,000 to play a bowl game because Craig Krenzel had like a 3.8 in Molecular Chemistry. And Krenzel as a garden variety doctor/scientist type is probably going to make like $100k-$150k in a year after 6 more years of school? He earns that in like 2 months as a terrible backup QB. Earnings turn into endowments.

They aren’t there to learn. Again, just using to OSU, the first game is like 3 weeks before classes start. Also, it’s difficult to excel academically when you spend like 8 weekends a year at road games and you have to spend 30+ hours a week practicing.

We don’t expect engineering students to work fulltime while they learn how to make rocket ships.

Your basic claim – that graduation rates are far below the rates of other students – is correct. The fact that BYU’s rate is 12% should raise a red flag about these statistics, and sure enough, the graduation rate is based on “how many enrollees get a degree in 4 years?” As you know, a large portion of BYU’s student body, players included, go on mission trips mid-school. This means it takes the typical BYU student 6-7 years to graduate. Also, almost all schools have “redshirt” programs, where students stay on campus for 5 years (but only use 4 years of eligibility). Dr. Richard Walton was such a guy; even though he graduated, went to medical school and became a doctor, he counted against Texas’ total. Also: Transfers away from the school, and those who go on to the NFL and return later for a degree, do not count towards this total. So these statistics are essentially meaningless as far as how many players actually get college degrees; BYU in particular is unfairly punished due to the religious beliefs of its student body.

That’s also a different claim than what Flowers was making (whom I was addressing). Flowers actually has a point about paying players; even at a $50k-per-year institution like USC, the amount of money a football player produces for the school is completely out of whack with what he receives with a mere scholarship. We certainly don’t want to return to the days of the 1980’s where players went off to the highest bidder (the saga of Eric Dickerson comes to mind), but the current rules – e.g., preventing players from even holding legitimate part-time jobs during the school year – are beyond bizarre. That part of Flowers’ comments I wholeheartedly support.

Flowers takes that a step further; he’s also saying that universities are actively preventing students from getting an education.

Football programs provide students an opportunity to get a college degree who otherwise never would have a chance. Sometimes they come from inner-city and outer-country districts so poor and so backwards they never have a chance; however, they get tutoring and remedial support out the wazoo to try and help them catch up as much as they can. Others never have an interest.

I bring up the example of Richard Walton not because he’s the exception that proves the rule, but rather because he is typical: Most college football players, even at football factories, will not go on to pro careers. And at schools that aren’t big-time programs (the majority), the degree they get will be all they have. They know this going into those programs; their abilities are a ticket to getting a degree, not to NFL monies$#@!$#@. The only thing exceptional about Walton is that he was a starter at the most demanding position on the field, in a big-time football program, and pursued medicine, one of the most academically demanding fields.

According to your statistics, Walton didn’t get a degree, and according to Flowers’ hypothesis, he doesn’t even exist.

Back on topic: Rhett’s father is angry about his son being sacrificed to save the program. He is ready to spill the beans, and is shopping for just the right journalist to tell his story to. Some rumors state he already has found his man – the same guy who blew open the story about SMU in the 80’s.

Rhett’s father should be angry about his son being a mediocre quarterback and an irresponsible member of the team. He’s had every opportunity and pissed them away.

Rimbo, I doubt the 6-year graduation rate for BYU is much higher - as the second link says, the 6-year rate for the entire NCAA is 60%. When you consider that includes things that aren’t football and basketball, notorious for having the lowest ones, it’s probably worse.

It’s not like BYU is outlier being dead last with 12% - Texas has 19%. There’s a pretty uniform distribution of graduation rates over the 10 to 90 range.

There are a fixed number of slots at NCAA division-one colleges. This is a fact; they only take so many people. Every slot a “football exemption” player takes is one that could have gone to another student more “deserving,” per most colleges rules about scores, geographical and culture fairness, and income. “Football as academic help for the poor rural yokels” is ridiculous, and insulting to the people in rural areas who might want to go to college but don’t have the magical ability to violently interact with others over a ball.

I agree with Flowers - they should just cut the charade and turn college ball into the minor leagues.