Our LCDs suck: Modern games on a CRT

Rear-projection. Still weighs 319 pounds.

We were about to have the best of both worlds before the recession hit. I remember reading about this back then and being very excited for it to take off and wipe LCD technology out.

SED is still a fixed matrix though, it sounds like? So you don’t get the seamless resolution scaling CRTs would give you?

I wonder if they had the phosphor persistence of full size CRTs.

I’ve always wondered if monitors could use triangular pixels instead of square ones, with one sub-pixel for every R, G or B.

I honestly don’t know how scaling would have worked on SED technology. All I know is it’s better than LCD in virtually every regard (and vastly better in certain things), and we got totally boned.

It’s probably much cheaper to produce dots than to control it’s shape. And they are so small, shaping hardly seem to matter. Relatively speaking.

You’re spewing nonsense. Image search oled pixels and lcd pixels to see that they’re very precisely manufactured in a variety of shapes and relative sizes.

I’ve no idea why anyone would want triangular pixels though. Seems pointless.

Interesting. I never realised that the shapes can be precisely controlled today.

Serious question, any literature or link I can take a look at? Will be interesting to see how they can do it as a square or triangle for example, as opposed to just dots.

I’d skip them if I were you. Not linked were the disadvantages, I can speak to a couple of them:

Disadvantages[edit]

• CRT projectors are both considerably larger and heavier than comparable LCD and DLP projectors.[5]
  • CRT projectors require far more time to set up and adjust than LCD and DLP based projectors.

So no joke, I’ve installed/repaired/serviced multiple CRT based projectors. They are a bear. They are usually a 2-man lift, sometimes 3-man, if you’re actually trying to be safe about the person attaching the projector not also trying to support weight. Second, the good ones were literally three projecting beams. Imagine if you will a device that is sensitive to movement, shaking, temperature changes, etc. Beams get moved and require pretty regular alignment, and it’s much more than what you’d expect. One of the major things we had with CRT monitors were adjustments: rght/left, up/down, brightness, contrast, keystone, sync, etc. So with a CRT projector (multibeam) you’ll have all of that x3, plus alignment x2, and even one slight adjustment off will give you ghosted letters/text, fuzzy details in an area, and off-light when there should be none. Two words still give me nightmares: Scheimpflug adjustment.

They suck. Stay far away.

Back to CRT monitors/TVs though, I have a 36-inch Sony WEGA TV I’m unable to move off my second floor. I would try it but I don’t think the damned thing has good monitor inputs.

More efficient tessellation of the three color components? (Assuming that all three are of equal size.)

Maybe the Klingons use them?

https://i.imgur.com/JQQAM3Z.gif