Out of the Park 21, Baseball fanatics and Perfect Team Junkies Report March 20th

I created a few Perfect Teams and dove in. The online environment Feels way more challenging this year - demand for cards seems much increased. I speculate it’s because there are already Live player missions and tournaments (I’m guessing people are trying to compete in Bronze tournaments so the demand for decent bronze cards is thru the roof). There’s also pretty low supply and high demand, since everybody and their uncle is trying to get decent players.

I’m tempted to jump in, and see how high I can get my team. I’ve made it to Perfect in 19 and 20, but get slaughtered there, and I’m not willing to put in the money or effort to improve them beyond that. It is cool that they can now crown a true champion each week though once all the levels are working.

So…sorry but how does Perfect Team work? I used to play OOTP back in the old days but have not since… would love some competition online without joining a league…can you get in on this Perfect Team thing each week…it looks like it starts every 7 days…how many are in the league…I’m totally confused.

What normally happens is each week you are in a league with 30? teams, playing a simulated season over the week. You can get promoted to a higher league level, or relegated depending on how you do. Otherwise you stay at the same level, but the league composition is randomized each week (you can mark people as friends though, and increase the chance you get put in the same league). Sims happen every 30 minutes, Monday through Saturday from like 9am - 11pm Pacific, and then Sunday is playoffs.

Initially you are give a number of packs, which contain 6 cards, and build a team based on those cards. Then you earn points which you can use to buy more packs, or buy specific cards in the auction house.

There are tournaments you can also join which can have restrictions such as only historical players, or players with certain ratings or lower. I haven’t played around with tournaments yet.

Thanks so much…kind of cool…like soccer classifications…move up and move down, etc. Well, working from home I might as well try this. Give me my $1,200 stimulus ASAP!

I got this one!

Perfect team is an online mode for OOTP where you manage a team online against other people. The games are simulated on OOTP’s servers, every 30 minutes (from 10 AM to 1 AM), M-F. Saturday and Sunday are playoffs and the crowning of a League Champion. Then it starts all over again the next Monday.

You earn PP (Perfect Points) for various achievements of your team. You can spend those to purchase more packs or to purchase individual players in an Auction House (where the players for sale are all placed by other people).

As @vyshka mentioned, they use a promotion/relegation model like soccer, so teams that do really well advance to higher (more difficult) leagues, and teams that do really poorly go down to easier competition. So the theory is that you’re competitive with your peers.

They added 2 new league levels this year I think, with the new perfect level being exactly one league and the winner of that being the overall champion of Perfect Team.

What I hate is doing well enough in Diamond to make the playoffs, and then finding yourself in Perfect and being perfect point bait for everyone else :)

Downloaded.

I miss all those OOTP leagues and FOF leagues I used to be in…this might be a fun challenge.

Is there are league that isn’t pay to win, such as you can only get players with the points you earn?

I think there are some tournaments that are being run like that, but I don’t know how they enforce it other than honor system.

One thing I’d like them to add if they haven’t already in 21 is the ability to mass open packs.

That’s a bummer. I don’t think I can get into it if I know someone is willing to drop a bunch of money to get a good team.

The classic style of OOTP (not perfect team) has a good number of awesome on-line leagues that are based on skill, not spending.

That is probably what would suit me more but I probably wouldn’t join one unless I knew the people in it. I’m not much of an online player so it takes a lot to get over the hump to participate :-)

Yes there is! I am participating in a virtual league in OOTP21 called “Our League “… Not a very imaginative name but you get what you get. The rules are that you can only be a free to play team, which means the only PP you can use are the PP you earn from your team’s achievements. You are not allowed to purchase PP for your team. In addition, this league does not allow the use of Live cards, just historical. It’s a ton of fun, IMHO, and kept me engaged a lot longer than I would have played if I’d just been in a random league (since I am unwilling to dump large amounts of cash into a team).

How it works is that you friend other players who have OL teams, and if everyone friends everyone else and selects the “use friends list” placement for leagues you end up placed with other OL teams at your level.

Even though you are placed in a league with non-OL teams, we track your record versus other OL teams only so our standings are based on those records.

Of course, you don’t end up in a league with just OL teams but over time more people will join this league and you’ll get close. In fact, last year, there was a perfect league that had just OL and free to play teams in it for a long while.

There is a thread in the OOTP forums about the league: Looking For "Friends" to join "Our League" Season 3 - OOTP Developments Forums

If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

There’s no requirements to prevent people from joining except for the fact that you cannot have spent money purchasing PP for your team… So if anyone else is interested, feel free to check out that thread.

That’s clever! I’ll have to consider that if I pick up OOTP 21. I usually wait for a big sale because I usually just play OOTP for a short while before I move on.

Thanks for letting me know!

Oh yeah. I’m very much in again this year.

One team, the Atlanta Phoenix, is focused on collections while my Cigar City Lagers are focused on tournaments, though both teams will dabble in both. We’ll see which one turns out to be the better strategy.

Have they not set it up so people can create their own tournaments yet? I thought that was one of the big sells of tournaments

No. Tournaments are only initiated by the dev team and come on a recurring schedule.

How is it that players with a 95+ rating only cost 5-10k in the auction house? It actually makes me want to play Perfect Team less just because I like opening packs and it’s so clearly not the right thing to do.