Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Awesome post! Awesome atbat! But I swore I thought he was gonna hit it down the left-field Monster and wave his hands for it to keep fair while jumping up and down and then circle the bases for a home run that I will never ever ever forget. :)

In other news, I’m up by 5 games in my division, and my magic number is 15. My newest acquisition, starter Larry Dierker, is 6-1 since he arrived. No whales in my division that I can see.

I’m actually nervous about the rest of the sim day!

Good luck! I was nervous going in, but I’ve fallen behind the number one guy in my division, and I seem to be a lock for a wildcard, so I’m pretty calm at the moment.

Thanks! Magic number is now 13; 6-game lead. Not that I’m hanging on every sim or anything.

I just noticed that only a couple of my players made the All-Star team back in July: Joe Rudi (the old A’s outfielder), who didn’t start but did sub in; and Madison Bumgarner, who got a Hold in an inning of relief. Rudi’s selection earned me 100 PP.

Magic # is 5 for my S281 team. Diamond team is at 70-73 and managed to drop a game to the tanking team that is all iron players. I am embarrassed.

Had a great showing against the whale team in bronze .219, with two 0-1 losses in our last series. I don’t expect to win against them, as they are in 1st place in every category in the league, but holding their perfect and diamond players to 1 run on 4 or 5 hits is decent consolation. Also, that they won’t be in the bronze league for much longer.

I’m still chugging along with my original cards and the points those cards have earned. Spent some on a few positions that were in bad need of upgrading, and had one splurge on high gold pitcher Patrick Corbin, as I expect him to be part of the team’s growth for a long time.

My Entry league experience is weird.

Two days ago my team was at a .700 percentage and doing great at hitting the ball (power is weak though) and defense, ok on pitching. With a solid stream of points from little achievements coming in I opened a couple of packs and won a couple of auctions to improve the pitching staff. Now the offense is crashing down around my feet and the new silver pitchers look worse then the old bronze guys.

I’m sure I racked up some cheesy wins early against teams who hadn’t replaced their gray players yet but the total collapse is been amazi

In an unrelated note I started a historical league last night as the expansion Colt .45’s. Years of FM have made me weak. I’ve forgotten all the details of the 40 man roster and am having analysis paralysis on figuring if I need to start over since I seemingly did spring training with just 28 men on the 40 man roster (which also seems to be the spring training roster based on an in game notice?)

Did I just screw the development of Staub by not having him come to spring training?

May S281 team has had a magic number of 1 for 4 5 games now. :(

It looks like Skowron’s quest for the triple crown is coming to an end. He’s been in a bit of homerun slump and is now 7 behind JD Martinez. I don’t see him knocking out 7-8 homers in the next 8 games.

The Kraken are now tied for the #1 wild card spot, still 4 games back in the division.

Well, when he does play, he’ll be Rusty.

Har har, couldn’t resist.

Those steroids I got my team kicked in by the 8th inning.

That game got me a shit-ton of achievement pp, including 3000 pp for “Dominating Show” – score 20 runs in a shutout.

They finally managed to win a game and get over the hump. They took so long they lost out on being the first team to win a division by 1 day. My diamond team continues their late season mediocrity and are currently 74-80 with a tough schedule for the rest of the season.

My North Center Robots are in the Bronze .255 playoffs too. QT3 has a pretty good chance at taking the trophy home.

I walked right into that!

I just got locked out of the Wild Card running, but considering how bad the first two months were the fact that it took until 160 games had been played was ok. We’re 84-76 but left ourselves with too much work to do to close the gap to the leaders.

My season completely flipped around when I made some changes to how we played defence and moved my entire pen to pitchers who induce ground balls. We were dead last for runs against and almost last for.ERA at that point and now we’re first for runs against, first for starter’s ERA and second in defensive efficiency.

Sounds like they could well set for a nice run next season then. My S281 team is now 91-69 with 2 games left, and will be playing in a divisional series. My D374 team is 76-84, and will likely end the season at 76-86. Since my main goal was to avoid relegation when first moving up to diamond I guess I should consider it a successful season, but still somewhat painful after they had a decent 1st half of above .500 ball. It will be a long time before we have a team that can probably finish top 4 and promote to perfect, so we will continue next season trying to avoid relegation and maybe get a little bit better. My other team will likely be on its way to gold, and a few seasons of building there.

On my silver team, I added Larry Dierker to the rotation this year and Sean Doolittle and Brandon Morrow to the bullpen. Dierker hasn’t done as well as I hoped, especially considering how he is performing in diamond for my other team, but Doolittle and Morrow have done pretty well.

My one addition in diamond was Bob Boone at catcher, and he hasn’t performed that well with his bat hitting .241. I don’t how well he has helped my pitchers out, but hopefully that catcher ability helped somewhat.

GB/FB is definitely something I need to pay closer attention to as I upgrade pitchers.

Sweet, the team I am going to have to play in the wild card game has won 12 in a row and has a perfect trout and chris sale as well as a couple diamond players. This should be fun.

Oh wow, you’re also in B.255? You have the second-best record in the league! Also, fun fact: Qt3 is represented by Robots, Librarians, and Red Stockings. Seems fitting.

Anyway, good luck to you and the Librarians in the playoffs. It’s all very exciting!

@vyshka: My Larry Dierker has been very good – 9-2 with a 3.30 ERA since I acquired him late in the season.

He was 13-10 for me in diamond, and I think at one point that was like 12-4. I’ve been happy with him. I didn’t have him for very long in silver. I expect he will do better.