Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

I don’t know what that means, having never played Madden or FIFA.

In Madden and I suspect FIFA it is a fantasy sports type mode, where you get collectible cards of past and present players and you put together a team. You can upgrade some of the cards, so for example the HoF Dan Marino card initially has a overall rating of 80, but you can upgrade it to the point he is a 94 or something. There are situational challenges that you beat to earn coins to buy more card packs, and you also get them as rewards for beating certain challenges. You also can play games against the rosters other people put together. I just started messing with it last night in madden, so I haven’t seen all it has to offer, but it has been entertaining.

Reading a bit on the ootp forums, it sounds like for the most part it will a very accelerated online ootp league, except your players are made up of cards you collect. Live cards will change as according to how players perform in real life, and then there will also be historical cards. Games are simmed apparently 28 times a day at 30 minute interval. You set the lineups. Guessing you can also set strategy. There is an auction house for cards, but don’t know if it is possible to trade with people. There is a 5 level league promotion relegation system with seasons lasting about a week. How your players and team do will generate points you can spend to buy card packs. There also is some solo challenge mode, but I didn’t see much detail on that.

Thanks @vyshka. That makes some sense. It disappoints me that OOTP has veered off in this direction, but on the other hand I could see it as something I could totally get obsessed with.

I’m not sure adding a feature to a game 8 months after release is something I’d characterize as the series “veering” off in a new direction.

I meant in terms of the entire franchise, not just this year’s release. I’ve been buying OOTP for years (skipping some years) and each version has brought refinements to the core game. I think this is the first time they’ve brought in a separate mini-game.

At this point, I do not know how much more they could add to the core game, at least in terms of major features. They could always refine strategies and financials, but other than that I’m not sure. The previous two added pro-rel leagues, proper winter leagues, standalone tournaments, international tournaments, and a negro leagues database (I suppose they could add historical databases for Japan, Korea, and the other non-MLB leagues). Perfect Team seems like a natural next step, though I haven’t tried it out yet.

I think there are still a lot of features they could add for online leagues.

I’d like for them to make players seem more differentiated so managing games feels more interesting. I’m not 100% sure I can explain what I mean by that, just that the system seems a little lacking to me. I don’t think its bad, but it never holds my attention.

Agree. And they can always work on improving the trade AI (although sometimes the trade AI shows better judgement than some real life MLB GMs; the bar is low).

Make multiplayer as seamless to play as single player - not requiring dealing with a bunch of jank to manage it. Downloading game files and passing them around? It’s ridiculous.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/index.php?man=ootp19&page=helpx_online_leagues

Apparently the open beta has started for Perfect Team. I will be checking it out tonight.

My initial thought is there probably isn’t going to be enough for someone to do, unless you dump money into it. You get 6 starter packs to begin with, which gives you 36 players for the foundation of the team. It usually breaks down to 1 gold player, 4 or 5 silver, a bunch of copper, and then common players. You have a 25 man active roster, and up to 175 on inactive I think. There are no injuries. Apparently there are 28 games a day simmed on a 30 minute interval, with a season right now lasting a week.

In the beta we are given 1000 purchase points (1000 ~ $1). There are 2 kinds of packs right now regular, which cost 1k, and gold (with a guaranteed gold player) which cost 5k. You can either buy purchase points (not activated yet) or you earn them through in game achievements of your players and team. So say a player hits 2 HRs in a game, you might get 100 purchase points for that. There is no trading, but there is a market where you can sell and bid on cards earning and using purchase points.

You control the setup of the lineups and pitching staff (or you can ask the ai to set it up), and game/player strategy settings. Once you have things set the way you want, you submit your lineup and it will continue to use that until you submit another. People can be moved back and forth from the active/inactive rosters, but once on the inactive roster they are stuck there for 14 sim days.

So obviously you will be doing some tinkering, but after a bit there won’t be much you can do until you have the purchase points available to either buy a pack, or purchase someone in the market.

What would be really nice is if they could use a backend like this for regular online leagues.

It is growing on me. My team is sputtering along playing .500 ball, but Tom Glavine is leading the league in wins, and my closer Baez is leading the league in saves. I just don’t have hitting to back up my pitching.

I’ve picked up a couple players through the auction house, and managed to get Tim Raines Historical Legend card in a pack. Trying to figure out what to do at SS at the moment. I have Bucky Dent who is a defensive God at SS, but is incapable of hitting anything. For now I’ve been going with him, and trying to pick up offensive power somewhere else.

It seems like this might be a good way for people to learn about the game, as the financial part is completely missing, so you are just concentrating on player ratings and not worrying about contracts.

Gah, you’re tempting me. I have OOTP 18 but haven’t bought 19 yet. Now that my Red Sox have won the whole shebang, maybe I owe the baseball gods something. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Is it too late for a new person to join the open beta?

I don’t think it is too late. The way it will eventually work is you’ll get thrown into a entry pool league (I think these get created as they go), and the next Monday since seasons will last a year, league placements will happen. There is some promotion/relegation stuff that will take place in the normal leagues.

I was thinking there wasn’t going to be much to keep me interested, but now I’m trying to find little pieces to improve the team and move up the standings.

I believe the open beta is supposed to go until late November or early December.

Thanks. I’ll probably go for it. :)

Cool. If I understand correctly if you are in a entry pool league tonight you will be in the new leagues tomorrow. Otherwise it will be entry pool league until the following Monday.

Apparently you will get perfect points for players making the all-star game. Unfortunately it appears the entry pool leagues are just playing a ton of games until Monday hits. So I’m missing out on Tom Glavine and Pedro Baez getting me some points to spend. Hopefully they will play as well in the new league.

The rookie league just finished the month of May tonight. Currently sitting at 38-17 and in 1st place in my division with a 7 1/2 game lead. Games run every 30 minutes from 9AM until midnight central time in the regular leagues, which gets through roughly 1 month of play. The all-star balloting just began, and you get to cast a ballot for the teams. If players on your team make it to the All-Star game, you will get perfect points which is the currency used to buy card packs, or cards off the market. Had a game today where my team hit back-to-back-to-back home runs. Hitting 3 HR in an inning will get you 80 points, so I was hoping 3 in a row would do more, but unfortunately not.

My team has been trying to make it as suspenseful as possible for me:

They decided to go into a slump in September, and it looks like it might be the first month with a losing record.

montly-records