Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Our own @Spock is in the league championship. After sweeping in the divisional round and conference championship, his Red Stockings are tied up at 2 games each for the crown. Go Stockings!

My Libraries, meanwhile, lost in the divisional round in the fifth and deciding game. Final score was 2-1 and we lost with bases loaded in the 9th but unable to tie it up. Looking forward to promotion in the coming week!

Thanks for the shout-out, @tylertoo! My game 5 starter is Randy Jones, who got roughed up in game 1, so I’m a bit nervous. But I’m not gonna start Tom Glavine on 3 days’ rest, so Jones it is! We’ll see what happens in about…five minutes, lol.

Well, I needn’t have worried about Jones – he pitched great, giving up only 1 run (a solo home run) on 7 hits in eight innings pitched. But Charlie Morton and the Nevada bullpen combined for a 1-hit shutout!

Game 6 should feature one of my two aces, Tom Glavine. The season comes down to him. (Oddly, the news writeup says Jerry Koosman is expected to start. Hmm.)

I made it to the World Series against Team Whale - currently tied up at a game a piece and while they’ve both been close I’m not expecting anything.

I’ve noticed that as well - even going so far as to try and change my rotation but the time I forgot it went with the “correct” pitcher anyway. It looks like the AI will automatically run out a 4-man rotation in the playoffs based on rest days but the probables don’t use the same formula.

Game 6 of my World Series against Nevada. I watched the highlight reel without knowing the outcome. My ace was up: Tom Glavine. But both starters gave up three homeruns! Still, we had a 4-3 lead in the top of the 6th. Alas, Nevada battled back and eventually won, 7-4.

It was still an unexpectedly great season. Do I get any kind of trophy for winning the Conference championship? :)

Got some nice end of year points

1000pp for making the postseason
400pp for bating champion
800pp for 34 game save streak
250pp each for 2 great glove winners
250pp each for 2 great bat winners
600pp for pitcher of the year
600pp for MVP

Also picked up Rollie Fingers for about 1000pp less than he typically sells for. Haven’t decided if I’m going to keep him or flip him for a little profit.

As expected, I lost the Series, 4 games to 2. Minor victory in that I spoiled Verlander’s perfect game bid in the bottom of the 9th before going down in game 6. No individual awards, but managed to snag 1000 for post season, 1000 for a World Series appearance, 800 for a 16 game win streak by my ace, and 100 for a good season score. Should go a long way to signing a few free agents this off-season at the infield corners if we’re going to compete in Silver.

I didn’t make the playoffs in my first season in Gold, but had a pretty good year, going 79-83, so I will not be relegated. I also had the HR champ and MVP in Roberto Clemente. He was 1 point away from batting champ too! And last night I pulled my first Diamond card from a pack - Freddie Freeman. That’s great, since I’m a Braves fan. And I bought an upgrade at DH in JD Martinez.

Looking forward to the next season!

Sounds like a lot of us had good seasons. Here’s to a better 2025!

One question: I went all the way to the World Series, but my achievements tab says “Playoffs 0x”. Will this be updated later? Also, I was sorta hoping for a League Champion trophy of some sort. Are trophies reserved for Series winners?

It will show it tomorrow. The only trophies (in beta anyways) were winning the series. Unfortunately winning one in the beta doesn’t carry over to the trophy cabinet once it went live or I’d show you mine.

Thanks. Well, I guess that will make trophies mean more. But still, hmmph!

Congrats!

Questions – is there any way to look at your previous week’s outcome? For example, if I want to see @Spock’s World Series? And, is there any way to see your previous week’s achievements?

I was promoted into Gold 336. One of the teams in my division has four “Perfect” players and everyone has at least one “Diamond.”

This is going to be a struggle.

Trying something a bit different with one of my bronze teams - going small ball. Since I already had some decent players that fit this mold, such as Bill Madlock at 3B, Bill Terry at 1B, Jose Oquendo at 2B, Luis Aparicio at SS and Alan Wiggins in CF, it made sense to just move that direction.

Dumped all my players with power, prioritized hitters with high Contact, Gap, Speed and Defense.
For pitchers, I looked for Flyball pitchers with good control and didn’t care much about movement.
Set my park to .900 for HRs, 1.500 for doubles and triples and left it at 1.000 for AVG; also have the wind blowing In From Center at 20 MPH (not sure how much that impacts the results) and made all the walls 15 ft high and as far back as they’d go (I believe the wall settings are only cosmetic and do not impact the game engine, but still had to go “all in” with the concept).

It seems I was able to pick up some solid players who fit into this concept rather cheaply since they have no power, especially in the OF (Willie Wilson, Ichiro, Matty Alou, to go along with Alan Wiggins) . Everyone hitter I picked up was bronze except gold Buster Posey at C (hard to find catchers with higher contact/lower power) and silver George Kell at 3B, who will end up being a backup 3B/DH.

So far, so good after the first game - won 8-0 at home. Wilbur Wood threw a shutout. Had 15 hits, including 4 doubles and a triple.

For 2025, the Argonauts stay in Bronze, this year in B268, alongside such teams as the Cannareggio Ducks, the Rockford Peaches, the Arizona Yeets, the TeamName/City Nickname, and the New York Yankees.

I enjoy offbeat team concepts, and Wilbur Wood certainly seems like he’s part of a lot of them.

Did park editing shut already for this season? I started a new team and got a ton of lefties, so I thought I’d alter the park settings and I can move the thing to a whole new country and change the weather, but I can’t alter the batting stats.

It’s only available for the first 7 games. It’s pretty silly that you can’t set it up for the next season.

I’ve only played three games?

Oh, then I don’t know? Screen says 7 but I have never actually done it…

One of these days I’m going to get the chrome remote desktop setup correctly so I can check games from work. I thought I had it right today but it says my computer is offline so I guess not.