Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

This was a joke, but it turned out to be prescient, because we rolled the three games at home, 6-5, 12-1 and 5-2 and we’re into our first World Series.

Congrats to everyone on their great playoff runs. /me mopes at home shut out of the playoffs this year ;)

Kraken lose game 6 so we’re on to a game 7. Lance McCullers Jr vs. Alex Wood. Can McCullers Jr. be the hero for the 2nd straight playoff round?

UPDATE:
No, McCullers can’t be the hero. In fact he got shelled and the Kraken lost 13-5. Looks like I get to hang out in Bronze for the 4th straight season once again falling just short of promotion.

The Expats won their first playoff series but since then I’ve been stuck at work with no way to check their program. It probably helps my productivity at work but it’s a pain to be out of sync.

Holy Schmidt! I’m up three games to none in the World Freakin’ Series! With two more home games to come.

That special elixir I put in their Gatorade sure worked wonders.

My team are also up in the World Series - 3-2 after five games, but the two remaining matchups are both on the road.

Like my Conference Series opponents this team we’re playing also has the diamond Max Scherzer card and we beat him again, so we’ve gone 3-0 against Scherzer in the last nine games played.

And that did it - after sweeping in the conference championship, my Librarians swept the World Series.

This was my post season, I went 12-1. That’s insane generally, but particularly after winning just 88 in the regular season. Seven other teams in the league had better regular season records.

Tonight we’re gonna party like its 2025:

Nice, congrats!

Just plain AWESOME! Congratulations!

Up 3-2 after five World Series games I turned off the scores in the main screen settings so I could watch the final one or two games of the season spoiler free and settled in for some drama… which didn’t come as we won game six on the road nine-nothing thanks to a complete game shutout from Sal Maglie.

Maglie threw 120 pitches at 32 batters with four hits, two walks and seven K’s while Robin Roberts gave up nine runs in 4.1 innings for my opponents. Roberts wasn’t helped by three defensive errors which meant that only five of the nine runs were earned.

Here’s my little dudes celebrating their win!
wsChamps!

I’d have to say our win was something as a surprise, considering we had to win a play-in just to make it to the post-season, but there was more good news to come as I threw our PP reward into a pack of cards and drew a Golden Sean Doolittle, who’s going to help our bullpen some next year…

Doooo

Jordan Hicks had 30 saves for me this year and is a righty, so now I have a lefty/right combo to finish out games.

Get the brooms out for the Librarians! Congrats on the sweep, @tylertoo!

My all-lefty experiment team – after getting bounced in the first round of the Bronze league playoffs last season, just won its Silver League World Series in 6.

So that was something. :)

Congrats! And a fascinating idea.

Unfortunately, winning the league got us promoted to Gold level, and my team – with a substantial number of silver players and pitchers all over the place and no diamond players whatsoever – is headed for the cellar now, I’d expect.

One thing I’d like to see as they iterate on Perfect Team is a way to look back at previous years - I checked this morning and had some extra points which apparently came from winning a Silver Slugger. The way I found that out was going into the transaction history page of the auction house. I have no idea who won it since mail and recent achievements all get cleared at the beginning of the season.

There’s a handful of small QoL things they could add that feel like they stem from the difference in the base game’s manual simming vs Perfect Team’s constant automatic progression. That said… there’s a good chance I’ll buy in earlier on OOTP 20.

Don’t be so sure. I was certain I was headed for the cellar when I was promoted from bronze to silver, and my team started out ten games under .500 after the first month or so. The allure of this, in part, is that players don’t perform as predicted. Bums get hot, studs get cold. Just like in real life.

My Gold level team went 81-81 despite being made up of five gold players and five bronze sandwiching a filling of silvers. I do have a diamond player now, but that’s because I got him in a pack I opened with about 20 games to go.

At one point we were ten over .500 and then slumped pretty badly, but we were never in danger of being at the bottom.

@LockerK - I’m pretty sure Perfect Team will be free to play next version.

Does anyone know how many teams get promoted in bronze this season?

I think it varies from week to week, probably based on how many entry level teams there are? The Universe page (Main-> Perfect Team Universe) is showing 4 promotions for Bronze-Gold, and 2 for Diamond this week.

4 teams huh, that means I should lose in the divisional series this week. :)