Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

In my endless search for starters who can compete at the Gold level, I picked up Frank Viola of the Twins. It worked out quite well.

In his defense, in the last start only 8 of the 11 runs were his fault.

My diamond team is still potentially fighting for a wildcard spot at 66-62. We just traded another pair of games with @KWhit. I just pulled a diamond Nolan Arrenado, who did pretty well for me in beta, so maybe he will give us a final push to end the season. My Reds team in gold are still having a poor season, but seem to be clear of relegation for now.

I have been more on autopilot these last couple of seasons as I’m mostly at a point where I’m just spending pp on packs and hoping for good pulls. Maybe I should go back to looking at the AH.

Despite my best efforts it’s going to be a fight to not get relegated. The maddening part is comparing my roster to some other teams, seeing if I can discover a hidden gem… and seeing a bunch of the same players putting up absurdly better numbers. Hopefully the team finds its footing again in Silver and nets me a bunch of points before coming back up.

On my Diamond team, I have been saving PP for a couple of seasons and finally had about 23k. So I splurged and bought Chris Sale on the AH last night. So far, he’s done pretty well, I guess.

The team as a whole is hovering around .500 at 65-66.

My Silver team is faring much better. We’re all pitching and defense. If I could score runs, I’d be unstoppable.

First season and the Tornadoes are trying hard for a wild card slot!

My 4th season bronze team captured their 2nd division title. Now they need to actually win a playoff game. I am 0-5 in 3 seasons so far.

standings

My diamond team has a 1 game lead for the 2nd wildcard spot at the moment. 11 games left, magic # is 11. All 11 of my games are against teams in my division. I’m 8 games out from the leader so I don’t see that happening even though I am on a 9-1 run. Hopefully we will hold on to the wildcard spot though. Sammy Sosa is leading the league in HR with 41. Roger Maris, a decent pull from a pack 40 games into the season, has put in another 20 HR. Late season addition Nolan Arrenado is playing pretty well, so it will be nice to have him for a whole season. Both Pedro Martinez and Dizzy Dean have 16 wins for me this year, but Dean has 12 losses to go with them. The rest of my rotation is struggling this year. We are still doing pretty well at not allowing runs, but we aren’t generating nearly as many as last year. Overall this season’s league seems a lot tougher than the one from last season.

Of course my team decided to go on a 6 game winning streak at the end of the season, just narrowly missing relegation. I’ll be floundering in Gold again, though hilariously JD Martinez should be getting strong MVP considerations for a team that was 20 games below .500.

Missed the playoffs this season by 1 game in diamond, missing out for the 1st time in 3 years. Sosa finished the season with 45 HR to lead the league.

Made the wildcard, but now I have to face this. Went 8-11 vs them throughout the season.

Good luck to all those who made the post-season.

My Librarians were wonderfully mediocre, missing the playoffs by five games yet in the middle of the pack and thus not qualifying for relegation!

Time to tank!

Well my team broke their 0-5 playoff drought with a sparkling 5-0 game 1 victory. Max Sherzer tossed a 5 hit shutout striking out 13 in the process.

Perfectly average in Diamond.

But I won the division and made the playoffs in Silver.

I’m thinking of starting a second team. Do I need to use a different email address or something?

EDIT: Yes, I do.

Ugh, my Gold (“old timers”) team has the second-worst record in the league and will, I assume, be relegated. Rats!

My Silver (“all Boston”) team didn’t do much better; last in its division. But at least I hope to avoid relegation, as I’m 6th or 8th worst in the league, something like that.

I will be glad when this season is behind me!

May the best Qt3ite win!

I won’t see the results until I get home tonight but it looks like we’re facing off in S262.

They posted some clarification on how friends work as far as getting matched in leagues:

“(I hate tagging everyone, but I’ve been asked this question enough times that I need to clear it up once and for all). FRIENDS FEATURE - If you want to stay in your league, select STAY PUT (your league # might change, but anyone who picks STAY PUT should remain together as long as they remain at the same level). Any remaining spots in the league will be filled by random teams or potentially by matching friends list users of a matching bucket size. If you select USE FRIENDS LIST, it does not guarantee that you will be matched with all your friends at the same level. Friends are placed into buckets with other matching friends and are then assigned to a league with the available space. So, the only way for 30 people using friends to be placed in the same league would be if ALL 30 teams had the EXACT SAME 29 friends and no others. The script tries to match as many friends together as possible, but as I said, its unlikely that you will be placed with ALL of your friends at a particular level. REMEMBER BEING FRIENDS NEEDS TO BE MUTUAL TO WORK (use the #friends-list channel to find people). As always, if you want random, then select random. Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion surrounding the feature.”

Yep! Good luck.