Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Even though @tylertoo beat up on my Red Stockings, they’re hanging in there, two games out of first place. Interestingly, Larry Dierker has gone from my best starter to my worst this year – but then again, the rotation now includes Cy Young.

My New Haven club is struggling. Batting and fielding is fine. The pitching is the thing.

One stat that I’ve been undervaluing for a while - in part because MLB seems to be undervaluing it these days and it’s reflected in the card pool - is Eye. When Jose Ramirez was struggling and hitting .118 for me, his OBP was still around .260. Joey Votto is manning first for me, and his OBP is a good 100-150 points higher than his AVG.

My team is hovering just below .500 this season. Kluber has frustratingly been my worst starter (and only Diamond starter!), while Adonis Medina continues to perform well. He’s been on my roster since my initial starter packs and is another one of those guys whose OVR feels way lower than it should be.

Not so great in Platinum. Every year we hover around .500.

But hanging tight in Gold.

I haven’t booted into windows the last couple days so not sure what the teams are doing now. I was leading my division in gold with a losing record at one point.

Opened 3 more packs, 6 bronze. I’d be happy just to pull a silver at this point.

I guess I shouldn’t have bothered logging in. My lord what a crappy season for those 2 teams. Diamond team went 8-20 in June, and gold team is currently 6-16 in July.

Tommy Pham with the pinch hit walk-off grand slam!

Very cool! Congrats. :)

My teams are reliably 30th in defensive efficiency, and I have no idea why.

It’s cool, but I’m honestly a bit annoyed the computer decided to pinch hit for Ichiro. Pham is by far the worst hitter on my team this year and really shouldn’t be on the roster except he barely plays for me and I have nothing better. Ichiro has been one of my most consistent hitters this season. If it was 2 outs, nobody on, and I was down by a run then I would understand as Pham has a lot more power than Ichiro. However, in this situation the bases were loaded and I was down by 1 run at the time. Ichiro leads my team in hits, let him do his thing.

Yeah, this ones always a bit odd to me. I get that pitchers/hitters can get hot and cold, and every season they are facing different competition that could affect their stats. However defensively things shouldn’t change to much season to season. Why is it one season I am ranked in the bottom 1/3 defensively and then the next season top 1/3 with the same guys? Do my guys forget how to play defense one season?

I was gonna ask why that pinch hit occurred but I figured you had your reasons…

It looks like I’m going to be lucky if I avoid relegation in gold, and possibly diamond as well.

My bronze league Flying Squirrels were several games out of first through August and struggling to stay in the wildcard race – so I decided to do a slight upgrade at CF. I picked up, for about 1200pp, 78-rated rookie Kevin McReynolds, with a bit of pop in his bat and a 99-position rating at CF (I moved Ender Enciarte to the bench).

In the 12-games since, McReynolds is hitting just under .300 and has 12 RBI, 14 hits including 4 HRs, 3 doubles and a triple in those dozen games. And my team in that stretch has gone 12-0, and we’re tied for first place after the first week of September.

Showing that even a sub-80 rated player can make a difference (if you’re lucky!).

Interestingly, my team is first in runs scored and 5th in runs against for the conference, and is still in 4th place in their division. Now, it’s a tight division, but even so, I’d have expected better with stats like that. Oh well, it’s all about growing that PP bank account.

The Renegades playoff streak og 6 straight seasons looks to be in trouble as we are plodding along at 71-64 and are in 3rd place. Our once solid pitching has fallen on hard times this season despite the lack of noticeably better competition. I looked at the other team rosters and they appear to be no better than our roster, so this could be a one off season.

This is the first season in Gold I’ve been competitive for a playoff spot - currently 3 games out of the wildcard. My #5 starter had been hot garbage for most of the year, so Triston McKenzie got a September callup (from the Auction House) to help the push.

Also bought 3 more packs, with nothing better than a Bronze. They can’t all be winners!

I’ve been running a Record Breaker 69 OVR Ichiro out there since back in Entry league. Right now he’s leading our Gold league in batting average and recently converted from RF to CF to shore up our defense.

Haven’t looked at how we are doing today, but it is something to go from wildcard to potential relegation in 1 season in both gold and diamond. I should be fired or forced to sell my teams.

I have him too, he’s my leadoff guy hitting .352. Another great bargain. Undervalued because he has no power. Like real life. You can get him at auction for less than 100pp.

Meanwhile my Squirrels got to 15 straight wins, which triggered a 4,000pp achievement called “On a Roll.” In one month we went from 2nd place, 8 games back, to first place with a 2.5 game lead over the former front runner, in one month. Not too shabby.

It looks like my diamond team has avoided relegation, but unless my gold team wins these last 2 games they are heading back to silver after 8 seasons of gold. Even if they win them they are probably still getting relegated.