Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

I’ve had a good start this season - 13-6 with Adonis Medina throwing my first no-hitter:

Fully expecting to come back to earth soon but it’s nice to have some cushion for that long, pp-earning losing streak I seem to have every year.

Belated congrats on yesterday’s, er, I mean last season’s champions @Spock and @pizzaddict! We should start a list of all our titles.

He’s still my starting RF in Gold. He’s not great but very serviceable since he’s great at OBA and defense. My other bronze standout is 68 OVR Quisenberry as a set up man.

Thanks for the shout-out, @tylertoo!

My champion Red Stockings have been promoted to G373, and they currently occupy the cellar of their division. Well, we’ll fly close to the sun for a season, anyway. :)

The New Haven Red Sox are in S319. Two games under .500. I see a couple familiar names there: @tylertoo’s Librarians, and the Alan Wiggins Project.

Been mostly leaving my team alone to build up some points. Finally got to 18K and spent about 12 of it upgrading three positions on my silver roster.

Not sure whether to spring for a gold pack with the leftover (haven’t had great luck with packs) or just start saving again. I guess the grind factor hits right about this point if you don’t spend money…

I’ve had no luck with packs either as I’ve noted in previous posts, however, If your going to buy packs I think the 1000pp packs are the better way to go compared to the gold packs. Yes you are guranteed a gold, but I think odds are that gold is going to be a live gold and not really be all that useful in the long run anyway. By buying 5 starter packs your odds of getting a diamond or perfect go up significantly and you still have a 40% chance of getting a gold.

Thinking about it more, I guess you could argue even the worst gold you get can be resold for 1000pp and on average a gold can be resold for like 2000pp so that pack is really only costing 3000pp in the end. Even adjusting for that, your chances of getting a diamond or perfect are 3 times higher buying 3 (1000pp) packs compared to 1 gold pack.

Well as of now, my Seattle Kraken are playing just good enough to avoid relegation from Diamond. We are currently the 6th worst team but have been playing a little better of late. Almost to the half way point so we’ll see if they can hang in their for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the tip about the 1000pp packs – I hadn’t actually noticed that the odds for Silver/Gold/Diamond were the same.

Bought five of them, got one gold I could use and a few silver.

Unless something changed this morning I am first up for relegation from diamond.

Things have changed a bit since I posted that earlier. The Tumbleweeds have gotten hot and passed me so I now sit in the 5th spot. This race for the bottom is getting tense, spots 5, 6 & 7 are currently held by Qt3ers

Well, there goes my pack luck forever. Bought 5 packs and pulled 82 Gaylord Perry, 87 Record Breaker Kenley Jansen, and 96 Christian Yelich. My pitching’s been a bit suspect so hopefully they’ll be a big boost.

My Kluane Rangers are in S319 as well, fighting it out with the AWP. My Sean Doolittle just got a win off of their Sean Doolittle :)

In an attempt to stave off relegation from Diamond this season, the Seattle Kraken have purchased 1953 Historical All-star Carl Furillo off of the Auction House. Carl will take over right field and Ron Acuna will be relegated to the bench. We will lose some speed in our lineup, but hopefully Carl will add some better offensive production. Things are promising so far as Carl has went 6 for 15 with 3 doubles in his first few games as a Kraken. Below is a standings update for @vyshka

The race to relegation remains close as the Tumbleweeds currently are sitting 5th,Kraken 6th, and Lagers 7th. There is also @kwhit 's Atlanta Phoenix representing Qt3 with the division lead.

7 packs yesterday between the 2 teams, and nothing to show for it.

Yeah, it’s getting to the point where I have to either wait a while to grind out 10-15K of PP to buy something that will really help me, or just keep blowing it on packs hoping to hit it big.

Yes, progression has slowed to be sure. But I’m still having fun watching the AH for any deals and tracking my teams a couple of times a day. But I’m not spending as much time with the game as I was a couple of weeks ago.

And I’m really looking forward to OOTP20 and starting over too!

Yeah, I really slowed down a few weeks ago, and pretty much have been on autopilot.

I’m not a follower of baseball in general, but I’m enjoying my three-way battle for the division title:
We represent the 2nd-4th best records in the entire Bronze .222 league at this point; 5th is way back on 67 wins!

I wonder what the odds are of pulling the same card in consecutive pulls from a pack.

Unfortunately it was a 61 bronze pitcher, and not a diamond or perfect. I’d really like an explanation of the card pulling system. I originally thought because the odds quoted were from them running massive simulations, that it basically did a random pull from the whole set of cards, but with the amount of duplicates you see especially for the lower tier cards, I wonder if it first decides on the tier of card you are pulling, and then pulls a card from that set.

@pizzaddict I think we got about as close as you can get without actually getting relegated. At least my other team won their division in silver, which I’d hope they would do after 8 seasons in gold, but silver was no push over. I think with only 2 teams advancing out of silver leagues it might be rough getting back up to gold.