Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

It’s back up now - at least for me.

They were having issues with the OOTP19 server and were migrating it to a new server. Someone to do with boxscores not showing I guess.

@KWhit and @pizzaddict I guess we aren’t in the same diamond league this season? I don’t even see the Cigar City Lagers and the Seattle Kraken in my friend’s list. Hmmm, I guess maybe I screwed something up there.

My manager name is CigarsandBeer if you want to add me back. You still show in my list, btw.

Yeah, for some reason only @kwhit is in my same league.

Got out to a hot 9-2 start but have come back to reality now.

I’m off to a decent start in Perfect, surprisingly. I see a few great teams who have obviously put in some cash along the way. But a good number of teams are like mine, with 1-2 perfect cards and a handful of diamond.

And in Diamond league, Cigar City is doing well too.

A belated congrats to you @vyshka for the game 7 win and the championship! And thanks for the update. We’ll meet again [shakes fist]!

I’m just logging in to OOTP after several days away. It turns out my other team also made it to the world series (in bronze) and also lost. It is frustrating not to be able to see the box scores of any of these games (let alone replays) once the season flips over. I can’t even tell how many games that series went to.

If anyone knows of a way that I’m missing, please let me know.

I’m hoping that ootp20 adds that ability.

Not sure if you will be able to see boxscores, but they are definitely giving you the ability to see standings/stats from previous seasons"

• You will be able to access a proper league history report from past leagues you played in
  • You can view info /standings / stats from other leagues in the universe
  • There will be a universe-wide record book and leaderboards.

Anyone picked up ootp20 yet? Man, I haven’t logged in much this week, but it looks like I will be leaving diamond this season. The tumbleweeds are currently 44-76, and amazingly not the worst team in the league. I guess the lack of upgrades are catching up with them, or a combination of that, rng, and a tough league. Anyways almost certainly heading back to gold.

I won’t be picking up 20 for a while. I’m not paying $40 just so I can play the new version of perfect team and I usually hold off to get the new version until it’s 1/2 off.

I haven’t checked in much either. The other day I was actually 2 games up in the wildcard but it looks like I’m 10 back now. I’ll be sticking around in Diamond for next season though. There isn’t really much more I can do until I grind another 5-6K of PP out over the next 3-4 seasons I guess. Than I can maybe grab a higher level starting pitcher.

I considered it but ultimately decided that yea, $40 for the new version of PT - especially when it’ll be free come summertime - isn’t a deal I’m gonna jump on.

e: If they offered up a $20 PT-only version today, I’d be in.

This is my first good season in Gold - probably because interest is waning and a bunch of people moved to 20 but I’ll take it! I’ve been spending all my points on packs with nothing better than a bronze to show for it. One thing that was a “duh” moment for me - pitchers’ Stuff rating goes up when moved to the bullpen, which made Triston McKenzie not a total waste after he bombed out of the rotation.

Agree. As it stands, I’m probably going to wait for their All-Star break sale, which is usually the first sale they have each year.

I recently accumulated about 15K pp for one of my teams thanks to their WS appearance last week/season and spent a good chunk of it on Dizzy Dean. The card rarely comes up in auction and it cost me 11K; I didn’t mind because I had accumulated that cash in a week when I was away from the game. I absolutely love getting old time players like him.

Over three starts (24 IP) he has a 1.11 ERA. Makes ya dizzy!

I bought 20. Loving building a new team from scratch again. Not much new in this version, but it’s worth it to me, as I want to be in from the start this time.

Anyway - in my 2019 leagues…

In Perfect… Well, I won’t be relegated. So that’s something.

In Diamond, things are going much better.

It looks like I will get to do 20 due to origin premiere, so I’ll try it in April.

This is going to be a hell of an ending.

That’s incredible.

That is an amazing finish there.

Regarding team upgrade strategies (I’m playing 20 but since almost nobody has it yet, I am asking here): when you look at a card, how much weight do you put into the real life stats vis-a-vis the card ratings? I understand that the cards don’t guarantee 100% fidelity to the underlying stats, but how much weight should I put in those stats when looking at the card? For instance, if I’m looking at a 1980 All-Star card for a player, how much would you trust the actual 1980 stats versus his contact/power/eye ratings?

It seems trickier for the 2019 live cards - since they’re going to be updated, it seems to me that one aspect of evaluating a card will be whether the player is on the upward or downward slope of his career. Given two cards of equal rating, wouldn’t you rather have the one backed up by a 24 year old than a 35 year old? Because the odds are that the 24 year old’s card will get rated up. Or is that too much in the weeds?

I personally view that as a “back of the baseball card” fun little history lesson. There’s no correlation afaik, but some of us here have speculated that cards might have a hidden variance in how well they can perform, with the non-Live cards having a smaller performance window. Nothing proven though.

That’s a little in the weeds but card speculation is a big part of Diamond Dynasty (the PT equivalent) in The Show. Find that young under the radar player or two, buy up a bunch of cards when they’re bronze/silver, and hope for the best (and no injuries).

There is no correlation perhaps, but wouldn’t you think the stats that the ratings are based on would have a little bit of predictive value?