Out of the Park Baseball 19 - The quest for the Perfect Team

Eh, maybe. It kind of breaks down when you look at those numbers as a product of their era and the competition they faced (a guy hitting 20 homers in the early 1900s is way more impressive than in the 90s or today), at which point you’d want to look into the advanced stats that try and normalize players between generations - which I suspect are more of what the individual ratings are derived from.

Down two games to one in a Silver best-of-five playoff, facing elimination, my Squirrels ended up playing the equivalent of 2+ games by going 20 innings:

CF Garry Maddox won it with a walk off bloop single to drive in a runner from third! Pitching 4 strong innings in relief was Early Wynne, who got a late win.

I watched this game playout in highlight mode, which does every pitch starting in the 8th, and it was truly tense and exciting. Great stuff. On to game 5!

EDIT: Game 5 – Dizzy Dean throws a 2-hit shutout to clinch series.

Them Chi-town bats certainly went cold. No runs in the final 21 innings of the series.

In my bronze league I won 119 games and in the other league I’ve been watching the District Senators as they won 115. I feel like we’ve been on a collision course the entire season. My team is #1 in all offensive and defensive categories, save for stolen bases (2nd), and strikeouts (13th). They’re #1 in all categories save for stolen bases (2nd), strikeouts (11th), and a couple pitching categories.

Conference championship though, they’re down 0-2 to an 82-80 team that they clearly outclass, and I’m down 0-1 after Roger Clemens gave up the tying run in the 8th, and then Jason Varitek allowed the winning run to reach base in the 9th on an error. Patrick Corbin then completely shutdown my offense. I love baseball. :)

Conference finals I went up 3-1, it went to a game 7. For the 3rd time in the series they started Sam Jones. Thank the lord. His playoff ERA was 11. He gave up 4 runs in the 4th and that was all we needed as Aaron Nola gave up 1 in the 2nd, 2 in the 6th, and then Roger Clemens and Sean Doolittle held them scoreless. In the other conference, the 115 win District Senators came back from from down 1-3 to win 3 in a row to close it out so the two juggernauts are meeting in the World Series.

I made the World Series in Diamond, but I’m struggling in the series against the team with the best record - 109 wins. I had the 2nd best with 102. But in this series, I’m down 3-1. Time for a comeback?

Well, that was brutal. I started the WS by losing the first 3 games, but miraculously came back to force a game 7. That ended up going 15 innings. I watched the replay without knowing the result and it was nerve wracking. We ended up losing 5-4 after having so many chances to score in extras.

Sadly, lost the world series. Stupid Roger Clemens gave up 5 runs in relief and we lost, 12 to 13. My diamond pitchers were just dreadful in the World Series. Oh well, it was a fun run.

Oh man, that is just heart breaking.

Wow. Two bad defeats going on at the same time. That’s brutal.

Tough luck, guys. But impressive that you got so far.

My Red Stockings lost their Gold division series in 5 games, with Cy Young losing the final decision in a tight, one-run game. I don’t know if I’ll advance to Diamond or not.

My New Haven Red Sox had a good season, several games over .500, but still missed their Silver League playoffs.

After a few trips to the World Series, Akron was finally able to take one home:

Special recognition to Sean Doolittle, who didn’t win any awards but went 11.1 scoreless innings in the postseason.

Cedar Rapids managed to stay in gold this season, but it was close. Texarkana is leaving diamond and heading down to gold after 10+ seasons I need to spend some time reworking the team. Some people need to go, like Roger Maris record breaker. Dude can knock it out of the park, but his best season he has hit maybe at a 220 average. If he was hitting 50 hr I might overlook it, but he at best makes it to low 30s. Defensive efficiency has also dropped off a cliff, and pitching is hurting even though Pedro Martinez and Dizzy Dean are usually among the k leaders.

Congrats to all you winners!

How do you guys generate those awesome logos? I’m seeing a lot of really nice custom logos and it makes me want something nice and customized too.

Charlatan I can make you a logo if you have an idea of what you want. I have templates for them.

Congrats to @LockerK on the championship and to all the contenders.

My silver team lost in the division series and was promoted to gold nonetheless. So my two teams are now both gold – g301 and g303. Anyone else in those?

My Argonauts are in g301. I’m not especially looking forward to that—they’re barely playoff contenders in silver.

My packs-only Springfield Isotopes managed to lose early enough in the playoffs to stay in Bronze another year, which is good from a career win-loss padding perspective.

@Fishbreath, my Boston Red Stockings are also in g301. I think the Librarians are there with us as well.

My New Haven Red Sox are in s319 (or 317?). The Alan Wiggins Project and the Galena Cubes are there too; both Qt3, yes?

With Texarkana heading back down to gold and the Cigar City Lagers getting promoted, does that leave the Kraken as the only Diamond team left now?

Akron should be in Diamond this year, though who knows for how long.

I don’t understand how they can do such an absolute trash job at dealing with super obvious roster things.

I switched my team to have a 3 pitcher rotation for the playoffs. After the playoffs it switched me to a 5 pitcher rotation but didn’t fill the 2 slots despite me 5 SP rostered.

So I didn’t get any points all day because the game turned my valid roster invalid. How is this the best that they handle this. If they invalidate my roster switching the rotation they can’t manage to automatically trigger the AI SP rotation?

I want to like the game but it feels like a product where no one at the company actually plays it like a normal user.

I’m sorry to hear that. You’re right, the game should automatically fill all five slots. I guess the workaround is to make sure to log in after the playoffs but before the new week?

I’m curious, though – why a 3-man rotation during the playoffs? My starters seem to need the 4 days’ rest during the playoffs.