Out of the Park Baseball 20 - Make your team Perfecter!

I haven’t checked yet, but I’m pretty sure my team made the silver playoffs. In 19 my team almost certainly was relegated from perfect, and my good team had a mediocre season.

Grats on the awesome pull. I’ve gotten some gold recently but nothing better out of a pack for a while.

My teams all did… meh. Motown lost a tiebreaker game 163 so we won the wild card instead of the division. They lost the sub-league series though so I don’t think that loss made a difference. Annandale slumped badly the last month and went from leading the division all year to not making the playoffs. The only team that’s still doing well this season is my packs-only team, who is winning their divison-series - so they’ll definitely going to be promoted from Gold to Diamond next week. Should be interesting.

A few of my teams made big purchases and none of them have really born out; that’s been frustrating me. I know, small sample size, level of play is higher than what they faced in real life, etc, etc but it’s still frustrating me. Also, my Venusville team got roughed around their first year in Perfect, and though they won 80 games, we earned less than 5k PP for the season. I sure hope that’s an abberation.

I’m happy to let this season go and start over tomorrow!

Congrats on Walters, @Sammich!

Which brings to mind the best song ever written about Walter Johnson (perhaps the only one, but whatever).

Now the other team mates they simply didn’t get it,
They said “Walter how come you let him hit it?”
Now Walter just told them with his gentle smile,
“Boys, This game isn’t any fun if you don’t get a hit once in a
while.”
And all through baseball he was loved and respected.
Was there bitterness in Walter Johnson?
Well it was never detected.

Did a bit more tinkering this season after continuing to watch supposedly good players struggle to put up even average stats. A couple of AH purchases paid off initially (Craig Biggio primarily) and a couple of starting pitchers actually pitched like strong starters. But even with better than normal stats, my W/L records was under .500 thru 2/3s of the season. But in the last part I ended up passing into the first WC position and winning the WC game against my rival. During the next round I came back from down 0-2 to force a game 5 but ended up losing by a run. Biggio, of course, had 1 hit in the entire 6 games of my playoffs and left 4 runners stranded in the final game. Womp womp.

I won my division, and had the league leaders in wins (Walter Johnson with 20), batting average (Tony Gwynn at .348), and HR (Gavvy Cravath with 37). Won the first two games of the division series, then dropped the next three and was eliminated.

On one hand, it’s yet another postseason disappointment. At this point I feel like the '90s Braves.

On the other hand, I’m perfectly happy not being promoted into a Perfect league.

Yup! I’d like my team to play more consistently but it was perfect to jump up into the WC, win the WC game, and then lose in the next round after a fun and tight series. And then stay in Gold where I’m more likely to do well.

Just finished up a very quiet season - Annandale won a division but got clobbered in the division series by the wild card team (that went on to win the league series). Leesburg got into the wild card game but I’ve never won a wild card game I don’t think, so of course they lost.

Aside from that, I dismantled my Texas Rangers MLB-themed team and restructured it as the Washingtoon Senators, where I am using any player who ever wore a Washington Senators jersey. Though most of the players you think of from the Senators weren’t terribly good (excepting in the 1920s and 1930s), as it turns out, the Senators had some pretty decent guys come by and play a year or two. As a result, I have the potential to have a good team… it’s not there yet, for sure, but it’s something to work towards.

I assembled the team yesterday and last night and since I’m home, I am able to check on them. They started the season 1-4 (or was it 1-5?). Last in batting, last in pitching. Oh yeah, they’re an authentic Washington Senators team, that’s for sure!!

Charlatan, I recommend the 85 OVR Cecil Travis card, if you haven’t picked him up already. Kind of a poor man’s Wade Boggs. Lefty who hits for a good average with a lot of doubles and very few homers or walks. Defensively, he’s perfectly fine at 2B, and can fill in at 3B or SS when needed.

Thanks for the rec - I have him on one of my Annandale team but I picked up another copy (for 8k!) for the Senators. On both teams I’m using him at 2B - Annandale has Appling and Boggs at SS/3B and the Senators are going with Joe Cronin/Toby Harrah.

Anyone else having issues with OOTP20 this morning? I keep getting a strange result on my team page that tells me I’m 21 and 5 and leading my division by 8 games and the entire league by 5. I think it’s busted cuz there is no way in hell that’s true.

Sounds to me like you’re livin’ the dream!

There was a message today when I opened OOTP20 about a Diamond Pack special. What does that even mean? I opened Perfect Team and it shows them for 20k. Is that a special price? Or is the special that they’re being offered at all today? They seem like a pretty lousy deal.

They are only offered now and then. The normal price is 20k. A couple of people have done an analysis of the contents and it turns out the expected value is (on average) more than 20k - of course you have to buy enough packs, because if you only get a couple of packs, you’ll undoubtedly get a card worth 5 or 6k.

Oh, OOTP, how I loathe your RNG hidden in the depths of some hellish sub-plane (Malboge, I believe). After running off to a 30 and 8 start, I hit a wonderful 14 game losing streak to end last month. Same players with the same ratings but with a diametrically opposed outcome. Meh.

Annandale team made the playoffs but they drive me crazy - each season, seemingly without fail, they tail off the last two months of the season. They went something like 8-12 the last month to barely get the 2nd wild card spot. It’s really frustrating - they seem to do great the first 2/3 of the season, then go into a swoon.

Motown had a strong year - Norm Cash turned it up a notch and finished with an OPS of like .950. They won 95 games and might be ready to move to Diamond. Looking at my purchasing history, seems like I can buy one upgrade a year for them. Here’s what I’ve gotten:

2031: 97 OVR Norm Cash
2032: 91 OVR Drysdale
2033: 96 OVR Mario Soto
2034: 92 OVR Steve Rogers

Just got Rogers this morning because my pitching is starting to look a little green around the gills. But that means I’m out of PP again so time to save up all of next season (I earned 10k PP so far this season, hope that continues).

Venusville team was decimated in Perfect, finishing 70-92. Being in a division with 2 whales did me in. They earned 3300 PP this year. :(

And I’m still enjoying constructing my Senators team - they had a mediocre record (78-84) but I’m having a lot of fun researching what players I can use and trying to get them. I did one of the missions that rewards a Senators card (the Sievers one) and am working on the other (the Goslin one). People are still listing scrub cards used in missions for outrageous prices, so it may be a while before I finish that. But I’m treating this team like a toy - I activated Del Unser and Ed Brinkman the last month since they’re guys I rooted for growing up. They both did as expected (which is to say… they stunk!). But I don’t care. That get a chance!

My team in gold won their division series 3-1, and now head to the sub-league series and diamond next year. I doubt they will last more than 1 season up there. I guess I should spend some pp. They have terrible offense, which is only offset by apparently really good pitching and defense. I doubt the pitching is up to snuff for diamond though.

In 19, my diamond team crashed out of the division series 0-3, and my gold team just missed the playoffs after ending june (9-19) looking like they decided to get relegated.

We’re about to sim game 5 of the division series between my Heroes and Charlatan’s Llamas. I’ve got 2034 Pitching Triple Crown winner Walter Johnson taking the hill, but he’s got 100 Scherzer, so it could go either way.

We were up 2 games to 0 in the gold league finals, but it is now tied 2-3. I still have 2 home games in the schedule, so hopefully they pull it off.

Edit: We tied it up 3-3, but lost the final home game and the series. We couldn’t overcome a horrible 1st inning where we gave up 5 runs. Now off to diamond and a year of torture.

Won my division (apparently my first Gold division win) and got swept by a decidedly lesser team in the Division series. Only scored runs in one of the three games and I was the higher seed with two home games to start the series.

Onto another season of…something. Hard to say really, but it will be something.

Sitting on about 20K of PP. Not sure if I want to blow them on packs or hang onto them for AH moves. The problem with AH moves is that my guys are generally about as good as you can get without jumping up to spend 20K per card territory. Why did Dale Murphy play like ass after I grabbed him from the AH last season to shore up RF? Do I sell him and keep the Live Aaron Judge in RF? Why do all my diamond level pitchers end up with ERAs in the 4s and 5s? Blah!

Good things. My catchers have done well the past few seasons. I platoon a Live Buster Posey and Historical Rich Gedman against lefties and rightes which has helped. My closer is always good, but I never know which relief guy it’s gonna be so I have to check things a month into the season to see who to put in the closer position. Beltre is consistent as usual.

I decided to bite the bullet and have gotten used to spending 20k+ for one player. It hurts since PP doesn’t come in too fast but I’ve gotten used to spending a lot - and it helps if you don’t look for an immediate return (like “why isn’t he hitting .350 yet?”)

My Washington team (in Perfectd) opened a Perfect Jimmy Foxx Peak card over the weekend - I put him in the lineup and he’s hitting .189. Good thing I didn’t spend 40 or 50k on him!