Out of the Park Baseball 22: Take Me Out to the (Digital) Ballgame once more!

I should probably just delete the 2nd pitcher table. It was set up to show starting pitchers on the left and relievers on the right. I’m glad libre office could open it. I wasn’t sure how it would do. It had slicers set up to allow selecting position, batting/throwing arm, and card type (live, unsung hero,…)

Well, LibreOffice did just crash, but I was probably asking too much of it – scrolling quickly. I’m guessing LibreOffice doesn’t support slicers. Alas, I no longer own Excel.

Sheesh, this PT thing is all-consuming. I doubt I can keep up this pace, lol. Does it slow down? I may just go back to my 1966 Red Sox. We’ll see.

Are you looking over my shoulder? Everything you just said about Libre Office even down to the crash on scrolling is my experience also. @vyshka thanks for the data.

I still find it interesting that the spreadsheet using Bendex suggests that low Stuff pitchers should be effective but your data (and my experience) says that they are hit hard.

I can post links to the raw csv that populates the spreadsheet if that would be useful. The csv files don’t have tournaments prior to ii 1993, so probably 60% of the data in the spreadsheet. Those earlier tournaments were already gone from the servers though so I couldn’t grab them.

It’s been explained but I had a lot of packs because I had been saving them up over 3 days. They recently upped the rewards on the best of 7 tournament to 10 packs for the winner so if you win just a couple a day you can accumulate a lot.

As for those Build A Legend cards, they are dropping in price pretty fast. Most of them are around 5k now and you can get them for maybe 2-3k if you’re careful. I did break down and buy Pete Rose for my tourney team… paid 15k (ugh). I also got Raines for around 8k. My other team got Marichal for 2k. I think Rose is the only ‘must have’ for the bronze tourney scene, though Raines, Marichal, and Nathan can certainly be used.

@spock I said somewhere that half the time I spent on PT last year was in front of a spreadsheet and that’s true this year too. It certainly can be a timesink!

It is amazing how fast they seem to pile up. There is nothing better than seeing the WIN pop up on the screen after a download complete that pushes you past the quarter finals. :)

It doesn’t have to be if you don’t want it to be. Using things like the info provided by folks like Angered Unicorn is nice short cut. Prior to this edition I never played in tournaments, and I’m not sure I did that many missions before. I just built my team slowly over time. This time I seem to being a little nuts with the tournament playing.

That’s very nice of you to offer the raw CSV files, @vyshka. I don’t want to make more work for you, but if you do have quick links, that might be helpful.

So your spreadsheet draws from data you got from Angered Unicorn? I’m happy to mine it myself, but I don’t see where he hosts his data. But then I haven’t watched much of his stream yet.

I did well in yet another tournament. I’m feeling better about the tournament thing, lol. Although it generates a new problem: do you auction off all these iron cards for 8 or 9 PP each, or just quick sell the lot? They do sell, but it’s a pain. Auctioning bronze and above seems like a no-brainer.

No my spreadsheet is drawn from stats reports for tournaments I’ve participated in that have ended. I’ve watched a bit of his stream before, and he must be doing something similar to get the info he uses. He might also have a group of people pooling data with him as there some groups that do that. I’ve automated a bit of the process now. There still is some grunt work to do, but not as bad as before.

I’d love to be able to customize how OOTP names its reports. Then it would go really fast.

Ah wow, impressive. It certainly is great to see actual data as opposed to Bendex predictions.

I had one more question about auctions. I’ve read that if you auction a duplicate that is on your tourney team, the game will take the duplicate from your tourney roster, messing it up. People say to auction the dup from the tourney screen. Is that the safe way to go? I have about 4 Kike Hernandez cards now. :P

I think @charlatan might have mentioned that. It wouldn’t hurt to do it through the tourney interface. :)

Sounds good. Thanks! Now I swear I’m going to bed, lol. Good luck with your overnight tournaments. :)

I want to add another thanks to @vyshka for the spreadsheets. I used it to bump up my bullpen a bit and while I’m not winning in the fashion of you data-divers, I did get some packs from getting to the semis. I had to cut my playing short last night due to kid stuff, so I might have had even more if I’d been able to hang around and play in more tourneys with my newer lineup.

EDIT: Can someone go over the build a legend thing real quick? I grabbed a BoL (Beltre cuz he’s the awesomest ever) and can finish the bronze mission for him, but what does that mean and how does it affect his BoL?

The build a legend cards provide a series of linked missions that will allow you to start with a bronze player and take him all the way through Silver, gold, diamond and finally to perfect. Each player has that track.

Each player has two bronze level missions: one mission just locks the bronze card. The second mission requires you to have a number of points from players who (it appears) played the same year as the build a legend bronze card. Completing that mission and the bronze lock mission enables you to complete the silver card mission. Completing the silver card mission rewards you with the silver version of that player. The bronze card is still in your collection, it doesn’t transform or go away. So at that point you can use the bronze card and the silver card (not in the same team of course).

Only the bronze and silver missions have been released for now so that’s all we really know. But down the line they will release Gold, diamond, and perfect missions to transform the card into those versions. There has been some speculation about the mission structure but no one knows for sure. Some people have speculated that the missions will require players from the same year as the BAL card but Who knows.

Oooh, thanks. That was what I was worried about. I had totally forgotten about missions and was going thru this morning and submitting a bunch (4 gold packs, YAY) and noticed I’d completed a BoL mission yet didn’t have that particular BoL card. It was just a bunch of dudes from the same year as the BoL guy. I was totally confused.

It is no problem. I’m already creating the files for the importing into excel so happy to pass it along.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpkjn3pm9ua0oyb/batters.csv?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bf23qgveirpa4x/pitchers.csv?dl=0

@lostcawz I’m glad it is proving useful. It started mostly as an exercise to play with excel and figure out how to do things, and now it has me learning about some data analysis software named pandas.

I believe the parks are neutral for tournaments so adding OPS+, ERA-, and FIP- to the 2 tables seems to be pretty straightforward (at least the result looks reasonable).

Thanks for the .csv files, vyshka! I worked with the hitters one in Libre Office and it worked fine – no crashes, if a bit slow. I’m glad you included OPS+, as that’s what I sorted on. Helpful. I need to first eliminate low-atbat entries and then try again.h

I won another 8 packs overnight, but on the other hand my OL Red Sox just lost five in a row and are now one game below the promotion threshhold. I dread being stuck here forever, but I suppose Rookie leagues eventually will have abandoned and newb teams. I hope.

Also, I pulled 88 OVR SP Ray Brown, one of the Negro League cards just released. 90 STU, 65 MOV, 70 CON, 4 good pitches – but Bendex ranks him around 500, no doubt because of the lower movement. I may still give him a try.

You’re welcome. The stats included are what is used in the sunday show that DRC does going over league data. Tournid is making use of the tag column in the view, which ends up blank in the report. My spreadsheet as of this morning calculates OPS+, ERA-, FIP-, wRAA, and wRC+. OOTP write the files using a timestamp as the name. So I go through in the order that I exported, and quickly change the filename to the tournament I’d. Then my python script will populate that column with the tournament I’d when it pulls the data in to create the big csv file.

That link should keep working, and the file files should get updated as I continue the work with the tone tournaments appending in the end of the files.

The batters file contains some fielding stats in addition to the hitting stats.