Out of the Park Baseball 22: Take Me Out to the (Digital) Ballgame once more!

I’ve been winning at least one silver tournament a day, which is great, but my bronze luck has dried up. I still haven’t really found a replacement for Suter or Arraez.

I’ve won or placed in a Bronze or two every day. Haven’t tried building a silver team. Hovering around .500 with my PT. Meh. Got a bunch of packs I’ll open sometime tmrw. That should be fun at least.

I’ve been playing Rich McKinney at 2b. I think my rotation right now is Paige, Gross, Bonham, Fred Anderson, and either Carlos Martinez or Matt Strahm.

My pack luck continues as tonight saw me pulling the 100 Turkey Stearnes, which has an L10 of over 200k. Little progress made on the build a legends as prices are through the roof on any pieces needed.

My tournament results have been pretty poor recently also. I have been working like crazy on my silver team but it struggles to do well. I’m not sure if my analysis is poor or if my instincts are bad or if I’m just unlucky. But it’s pretty frustrating.

Bronze has been tough the last few days also. Three days ago I won a couple tournaments and placed in a couple other. Yesterday and the day before that I had almost nothing.

I put most of my gold build a legend pieces up on the auction house last night and a couple of them sold but not many. I think the limiting factor will continue to be silvers because silvers are pretty hard to come by. I did however complete the harry Heilmann diamond on my BFF Team. I have two or three gold BALs done also but I don’t recall who or on which team since it was just based on having the right cards. One thing those build a legend missions have done is made it really hard to field a silver tournament team. Silver prices are crazy.

I’m also glad to hear you guys have been pulling good cards. My pack luck has been pretty terrible this week. I am barely even getting a live diamond now and then.

I just opened 34 packs and got a total of 3 gold and 4 silver. Other than the 7 gold I got from Gold packs which don’t count. I think my pack luck is so bad it’s anti-gravitational push is keep everyone else’s luck afloat. No diamonds in a few weeks and still just my one lonely 100. ‘sad trombone’

My pack luck is like lostcawz’s. I’ve opened only 1 Perfect. Yesterday I opened dozens of packs and got no diamonds at all; just a handful of golds, a couple of which I did use on my non-OL, non-BFF team. The most valuable thing I pulled was a bronze BAL Guerrerro, a duplicate, so like you I put it up for sale. Last I checked it had not sold.

I’m still having fun, though. I love having all these stats to look at on my cards.

I do wish the cards looked more like Topps baseball cards. Why not more action shots, like the Kyle Lewis card? I suppose there are legal reasons for the faceless historical cards, but why not give us more action shots of them from a distance, then?

Luckily with 3 teams, it seems like one of them is usually having an okay day. My overall feeling for the day is probably driven by the team not doing well though. Even when they have a bad day though they are probably doing fine.

Results since the Live update:

First tournament: 5818 Last tournament: 6799
Chandler Coyotes - BFF:
   Round         Record    (RWin%/RRem%/GWin%)
----------------------------------------------
   1st Rnd:      52 - 27   (0.658/0.658/0.5737)
   2nd Rd:       36 - 16   (0.692/0.456/0.5908)
   QF:           17 - 19   (0.472/0.215/0.4873)
   SF:            8 - 9    (0.471/0.101/0.4868)
   Finals:        5 - 3    (0.625/0.063/0.5581)
   tourns: 79 | packs: 92 | 1.16 p/t | pack+: 178

Texarkana Tornadoes - OL:
   1st Rnd:      58 - 20   (0.744/0.744/0.6177)
   2nd Rd:       37 - 21   (0.638/0.474/0.5640)
   QF:           26 - 11   (0.703/0.333/0.5962)
   SF:           17 - 9    (0.654/0.218/0.5718)
   Finals:        9 - 8    (0.529/0.115/0.5132)
   tourns: 78 | packs: 157 | 2.01 p/t | pack+: 307

Cedar Rapids Reds - OL:
   1st Rnd:      53 - 21   (0.716/0.716/0.6030)
   2nd Rd:       35 - 18   (0.660/0.473/0.5747)
   QF:           23 - 12   (0.657/0.311/0.5732)
   SF:           13 - 10   (0.565/0.176/0.5298)
   Finals:        6 - 7    (0.462/0.081/0.4824)
   tourns: 74 | packs: 125 | 1.69 p/t | pack+: 257

Wow, very impressive! You’re doing well. Many more wins than me. Though I have no idea what my precise win-loss records looks like.

I should break down and buy Excel and track my tourney stats like you are. I’m pretty curious how my rag-tag silver team keeps doing surprisingly well. I just slapped together the guys I had on hand, lol.

There are some BFF folks that track their games won/lost for each round. That is too much for me :), so I just know what rounds I exited in based on my wins for that tournament. Then based on how often I make it past a round I can estimate what my win rate is for individual games in that round. Texarkana has had a great week. Winning 11% of the tournaments they’ve entered. They also broke the normal trend where the QF seems to be the tripping point. Cedars Rapids did well in the QF as well. Chandler had to work real hard the past couple of days to get the QF win% up to 47%. They were getting killed there earlier in the week, at one point I think it was 3-12. For all of my data Chandler has done the best of the 3, but Texarkana is pretty close, and Cedar Rapids is only a little bit behind them. Without looking at the data though, it always feels like things are going however the worst performing team is doing that day :).

Man, @vyshka i need tournament advice from you. I have been struggling to find a consistent formula and it ain’t happening. My silver team barely earns any packs and it’s driving me crazy. I pore over tons of data but my analysis must be weak because it doesn’t seem to help.

What level are your team competing at? I’m running one team in bronze/iron and the other in silver.

In pack news, my Washington team finally pulled a historical perfect… Silver King. From two packs I won by finishing second in an Iron tourney. And I got a nice historical Diamond later on from some bronze tourney packs, an OVR 92 Brandon Phillips who plays 2b. Right now I have the low Diamond NL card Frank Grant there, so not sure if Phillips will play. I might switch him in next season to see how he does. And I also completed the BAL Heilmann for my vL DH.

Annandale is closing in on the end of the live missions but those last few teams are proving to be real pains.

Yeah, there are a couple that people are really price gouging on like the Dodgers, Cleveland, and Oakland come to mind.

All 3 of my teams are still running the bronze bo7 tournaments. I seem to be horrible at improving defense of my teams. Whenever I try to do that results get worse for some reason, so the main thing I have focused on is looking at wRC+ and trying to get people in that are doing well there, or have a really good BsR. Fangraphs does something called “Off” which is wRC+ and BsR mashed together. I’ve done that with my program, but it using a rated stat from the BsR supplied by the game as I don’t think it gives the data needed to calculate it like I can with wRAA and wRC+. I’d love to have the data to be able to calculate BsR and something like ZR myself.

I do try to put someone with range at last at SS, 2B, and CF but trying to put the best defensive players in spots hasn’t worked out for me yet. Of course a catcher with good catcher ability to try and help out these poor bronze pitchers. I’m not sure why it is working, but my band of wRC+ misfits keeps getting me packs even when it feels like they are failing. With pitching I seem to mostly focus on FIP-.

I’ve finished the American League missions, but I have not yet played Trammel. I’m still starting Nomar because, well, Red Sox. But also because I feel a little…funny playing almost entirely Special Edition cards. Was it you, Charlatan, who expressed misgivings about relying on them? I do feel a bit like I’ve got the team everyone else has at a certain early-ish stage of the game.

I’m pretty close to finishing the NL too. It’s the Dodgers and Padres and Mets blocking the way.

I don’t have misgivings but I’m not playing them as a personal challenge. Right now the only one I’m planning on using is Cy Young. He’s too good plus it feels like a nice reward for completing the entire set of missions. For the most part it means I’m not worrying about completing the missions although I’m happy when I get random cards to fill them in.

Grats, @vyshka on crushing my River Cat in a meaningless final game and winning your division! Good luck in the playoffs! And good luck anyone else who made the playoffs. My PT team was pretty mediocre this season. I sold off a couple of NL players just because I wanted the PT and at their prices, there was no way I was gonna get enough of them to finish any missions using them anyway. Now I have some cash to bump one or two positions and hopefully make the playoffs and promote next season.

Bronze tourneys still are ok for me I guess. I win probably one a day and place another couple of times. Not great, but good enough right now.

I don’t have misgivings, per se, but it is a little boring to me to be playing the exact same cards as everyone else. So when I do play those cards it’s in my mind only temporary. Plus, what happened last year was that eventually you will get to a league where everyone is playing the same reward cards and so you are forced to move on from them if you want to advance. So I’m always keeping an eye open for improvement.

Both of my teams sold the Hack Wilson card when I got it because YourKidnies kept saying how it was a bad card. Washington also sold the Don Sutton card because I needed the PP at the time to complete all the missions.

Washington, fortunately, got a NL Willie Wells in a pack so I have Trammell on that team but I am not even going to consider playing him.

My OL team had a thrilling season in Stone 168. We were neck-and-neck with the Algona Penguins for the OL championship, but we fell short by one game. Likewise, we made it to the PT playoffs but lost our divisional series, 3 games to 1. Even so, we have several candidates for awards, including MVP and Cy Young candidates. Dave Fultz led the league with 106 stolen bases, and I had a couple players hit 30 homers and steal more than 30 bases.

On top of all that, I woke up to a bunch of tourney packs. So a good day, overall.

Whoohoo! Waking up to packs is greatness!

Al Brazle of the Boston Red Sox - OL did win the Cy Young Award in the American Conference of my Stone League, with a 20-8 record and a 3.02 ERA. Grats to Al! We also won a Gold Glove or two, and a couple Silver Slugger awards.

The Concord Red Sox also had a good season, but they missed a wildcard spot by one game! The Bar Harbor Red Sox - BFF had a dismal season in the same Bronze League as vyshka and some of you other guys. Bar Harbor was just in over its head. For whatever reason, that’s the team I’ve had the hardest time assembling, even though it also promoted the most quickly. I’ve now learned not to sweat promotion/relegation – in this case, I’m delighted Bar Harbor is being relegated back down to Iron, heh.

So with my OL team heading to Iron, I have a couple decisions to make. Kevin Seitzer performed well at DH and backup 3B in Stone, hitting .375 and OPS over .800. But I have Minnie Minoso now. Everyone seems to run Minoso. Should I make the switch?

Also, I just pulled Hod Lisinbee, a 91 OVR who played for the old Senators and the Red Sox – a point in his favor. 89 STU, 73 MOV, 53 CON. Kidnies doesn’t love him, natch, but I’m inclined to give him a try. Anyone have experience with him?

Congrats on the Cy Young award. My teams did their usual and bowed out of the playoffs fairly quickly. My BFF team was trying to avoid relegation from gold most of the season, then towards the end went 20-11 and found themselves in the final promotion spot. So now they are going to diamond to get really beat on.