Outcast Second Contact

This has been out for a few days now, has anyone tried it? How does it measure up to the original? I’ve never played the game when it first came out but I’ve read lots of good things about it so I’m really tempted to try out this remake.

Wow, an Outcast sequel is finally out and it’s so obscure we didn’t even know about it? How did this happen?

Are there reviews out for it yet?

Had not heard. I may try it…but will wait before paying full price (I will if folks think it’s good).

Looks more or less the same visually, on purpose I assume. Even the stilted running and purposely-voxel-engine looking landscape. [edit] - yeah , NVM, the landscape is sharper. Decent job of updating it…but his running still looks the same.

The music sure has changed. I think they had the Russian Symphony Orchestra or whatnot do the original soundtrack.

The original is in one of my top whatever lists.

It’s not a sequel - it’s a literal remake. Higher quality visuals basically. The first one went up to 512 x 384 :/

Jeez dude, I brought this up in your very own wallet threat thread. Though I’m probably going to sit on this one a bit, not sure I’m in for $39.99. I do appreciate that this, Rogue Trooper and Okami are all getting rereleases, definitely going to be trying each of those out, at some point anyway.

If money weren’t an issue, I’d buy this just to pat the devs on the back (unless reviews were really negative).

At the moment it’s a maybe. But really cool that it got made.

Ah okay. Yeah, I knew about the remake. @divedivedive even pointed out the remake, among others. The name is very misleading. I thought Second Contact would be the name of a sequel. Nevermind me then.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/860613433094738109/FECC4627D2D4298F0B79F2B17F82C18D063E3830/

It’s more a remaster than a remake, from what I know, though obviously they replaced the old voxel system for normal 3d terrain.

I never played this game in 1999. I wished so hard to play it, but I remember having specific problems with my computer with it. Maybe it will be time now…

Yep. Same here. I owned it when it hit the bargain bin, but my computer still wasn’t good enough to play it. Even though I had a Voodoo2, the voxel engine didn’t use my 3D card, it used my CPU, which wasn’t fast enough.

The earlier less ambitious ‘enhanced edition’ is a lot cheaper…

I love Outcast! So damn good.

I’ll pick this up eventually but I think they should have aimed for $20 instead of $40.

Yeah, twenty bucks would have been pretty much a no-brainer buy for me.

I’m the reverse – I played Outcast when it first came out because I had a decent CPU but no 3D card and could only play other games in software mode. Half Life ran OK in software, but Unreal was unplayable.

I loved Outcast but never got far into it – a short ways into the second world. It’s been floating in my consciousness ever since and I replay bits of it from time to time.

I played Outcast when it came out, i remember my having to upgrade my PC to be able to run it. The game was great, i think it was the first open world game i ever played.

Will probably end up buying this just for nostalgia.

Do they have Outtakes ?

I remember loving the original game. It ran fine on whichever overpriced (at that time, I was dropping around 3 grand on an entire new rig every two years) PC I was running at the time.
Heh. I still have my original over-sized big box copy on the shelf.

Arise, thread!

Just wondering what the consensus was on this remaster, and to ask a question: by way of introduction-- I was listening the the Rebel FM’s yearly game music highlights podcast and they played a couple of pieces from the soundtrack to this game. It’s freakin’ amazing-sounding, honestly, right up there with any great film score.

So the question is, is the soundtrack in any way different for this Second Contact version of the game? I ask because you can get it on steam for just a couple of bucks, but (stupidly) can’t actually buy the soundtrack there for the current sale price without shelling out for the whole darn game at 21 bucks.

The soundtrack in Second Contact is the same as in original game, although at higher quality afaik.
Unlike the voice acting which is identical with the same compression since they did not have access to original files.

“I can see you, Ulukai!”

I haven’t tried the remaster. The ‘original’ (actually slightly tarted-up to run on modern PCs, I think) version available on GOG etc. is fun enough, though I’m not averse to buying the update… just being stingy. Even the blockathon voxelfest of 1999 Outcast has aged better, visually, than most other games of that time. It just has that cool Euro-Moebiusy look.