Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

This game is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Portals makes my head spin and I’m constantly kinda lost.

I tried this also for about an hour and gave up. My 13 year old breezed right through it…annoying!

I remember feeling the same way early on. As with a lot of exploratory games, there’s a point, after a lot of time being disoriented, where you start to become familiar with the terrain and you figure out how the tools you have work, and you can start making plans and setting goals, and that’s when the game shines. I recommend not giving up! You too, @TheRockSal!

Spot on. I think that’s the good open world RPG in a nutshell.

Cool thanks!

My internal compass is very good so I was delighted that Outer Wilds was so capable of disorienting me! Miasmata and Subnautica did as well, but not in quite so many ways. Eventually this starts to melt away as you learn the places and routes to them.

out on PS4 now … since I am basically only gaming on consoles at the moment, maybe I get it again, I really liked it on PC!

Always look behind buildings for loot.

More so, if there is something in front of you that you can’t see over, there it probably loot behind it. :)

really? or do you mean Outer Worlds …?

DAMN IT!

HAHA yea I was WAY confused.

Dammit I am in the wrong thread also. What idiot created this thread!

I’ve put about four hours into this so far, and I’ve been having a lot of fun, but I’m at a point where I’m starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. I’ve poked around on each of the planets, and the sense of scale that has begun to dawn on me is such that I don’t know how I’m ever going to actually piece things together.

I imagine that’ll go away as I spend more time with it, though.

So when you all were playing through it, did you focus on one planet and explore it fully before tackling the next? Or did you prefer to dabble and jump around as you went?

I’m wondering the same thing. I quit because I got lost too much and it got frustrating.

I think that point you’re at where you feel very overwhelmed is very natural. Yes, I would recommend now focusing in on one planet–it could be any of them, but maybe do the one you are most interested in and just see what new things you can find there by being a bit more methodical and by returning to it again and again.

Also, use the data log in the ship to see where there are still things to explore, and try to tick off boxes. (In the process you’ll create more boxes to tick off.)

I fizzled out on this one, after a very promising start. I’ve realized that I love exploring, but I do not like being rushed — especially repeatedly. The continuous restart mechanic left me feeling burned out much sooner than I would have if I was able to proceed at my own pace.

I’m sad about it. The game has so much charm.

And… I typed up a long response then I realized I was not in The Outer Worlds thread. :P

Hahahaha - again!

Did you enable paused time while you were reading? That was one of the first things I did and I think it helped immensely. I’m not a fast reader so it allowed me to absorb so much more without any pressure.

@anonymgeist I explored each planet in turn rather than land on each one for a quick look. I loved seeing them in the sky and thinking ‘I’ll be coming to you soon’ incredibly excited about what secrets and surprises they’d have in store. Some planets took me multiple sessions to fully ‘map out’ in my head. @Nightgaunt’s advice is solid. Look at your log and follow what intrigues/interests you the most. There should be quite a few questions bubbling up from each discovery you make. That was the major driving force for me: wanting answers.