Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

I am over 20+ loops in. I have only explored the moon, some of the home planet side areas, Brittle Hollow, and the Twins…which is probably harder to do multiple tasks due to it’s time sensitive mechanics. Still need to explore more on Ember Twin. Ash Twin feels like a late game area because you can’t really explore anything there until later in the loop giving you even less time to explore.

I am at the end game but

I can’t figure out how to close it out. Full log, no question marks/asterisks EXCEPT for Vessal which is in the foggy can’t see shit “will-o-wisp” horror fright suprise! ship devouring space-fish portal maze AKA Dark Bramble.

And not a fucking clue what I am suppose to do…how did this happen? I entered the three sequence code from the probe tracking module in the electrified sphere at the core of Giant’s Deep into the line puzzle shit on the bridge, it was accepted, then I moved the energy sphere/marble up into the power-on position but nothing happened. Jack shit.

I think there is something you’re missing elsewhere. I spoilered for other people but you should be fine to read it: Is going to the vessel in Dark Bramble the first thing you did at the start of the loop? If so there is still more to do out there.

Weird. I guess I just need to go through all the logs again.

I beat it. I missed a critical thing: The warp cores.

I accessed the Ash Twin project super late and I also missed frobbing the damaged warp core in Vessal to give me those two connected dots which is like…90% of the info you need in order to reach the end-game. I only had the line puzzle code (with all the rest of the backstory)

Hooray!

DLC?
Expansion?
Expandalone?
Sequel?

It seems it’s an expansion, and it will release on Sept 24th.

Hopefully this means it sold really well.

It’s an expansion\DLC:

On the one hand, I can’t think of a game that made exploring the world and figuring out its mysteries more satisfying, and I can’t imagine saying no to more Outer Wilds. on the other hand, the base game’s ending was pretty final, what more is there to do here?

Seems like this will be intergrated into the base game?

Outer Wilds doesn’t have a whole lot of replay value once you know how to complete it with all the solutions. I guess a replay would be just recollecting all the log entries again. Maybe ignoring your meta-game knowledge and just following where the log entries point to in-game?

The $15 expansion’s out tomorrow at 9am PDT. Going by this Totilo tweet, it sounds rather substantial.

Yay my save file still exists.

I hope reinstalling on steam will magically bring back my save file as well. 🤞

I played this at launch on Epic so lord knows whether cloud saves were a thing then… I uninstalled Outer Wilds only recently too!

Edit: seems my save was still on my system!

I played it on Epic as well, and I got a cloud save, so you’re probably ok!

H.P. Lovecraft, is that you?

Oh wow, it is you!

He shared that phobia? I had no idea, yet it makes very much sense.

This is what prevented me to play Majora’s Mask, despite being very intrigued by it (and it seems that game as a whole probably was echoed in ways by Outer Wilds) : that grotesque moon was just unbearable for me.

I have yet to make any actual progress in the Outer Wilds too…

When you were a kid did you check under your bed at night for planets or stars?

Also prepare to not sleep tonight.

I know what @Left_Empty means. I remember having this strange and scary fever dream when I was a kid and mainly I was just drifting through space but started moving faster and faster and going through and around vast celestial objects, and it left me with the oddest feeling of vertigo and being lost among the stars.

Oddly enough, Outer Wilds inspires the inverse feeling - it’s a scaled down solar system, and you can hop in your little ship and be at the next planet in a matter of seconds. You pretty much can’t get lost, or go too far away from any point of reference. It’s like you’re inhabiting someone’s diorama of a working solar system, and it makes sense for the purposes of the game. I’m certainly not complaining though, especially when the game this system is wrapped around is so damned good.