Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

I gave in as well. Between Observation, Void Bastards, and this my backlog is growing quickly!

Sadly I kinda hate this already. There is a lot here I want to love. But the deliberate wasting of my time, tramping around contrived pathways ,awkward controls, irritating mini games and puzzles kinda kills it for me. I like exploration when it is vast. This feels cramped and tight, like exploring some interesting caves discovering wall paintings and underground waterfalls. Thats beautiful and great, but thats not my kind of exploration.

Windows and Xbox One (free with Game Pass on the latter).

I’m reading comments on the game and it seems it maintains the quality during all the game, including the end. It’s getting really positive impressions.

I’ve loved my first session with the game. The starter planet is full of whimsy. I talked to everyone and reviewed my training (how I ever got my pilot license is beyond me considering how that bit went). The signposted zero G cave was cool and demonstrated nicely how much more traversal freedom you get once you don the space suit. I said my goodbyes, listened to the music of the planets through my oscilloscope and then took off…

At which point I managed to mostly destroy my landing gear by hitting trees (told you I shouldn’t be a pilot). No matter, I thought, I’ll fix it in space before I land.

Once there, I found a planetoid, got closer and locked my speed to its. I got out on my very first spacewalk, turned around to find the faulty landing gear… Only to realise I was falling away from my ship and towards the ground ever faster. Turns out I shouldn’t have stationed my ship that close to the planet. Gravity sucks. :(

I am obviously no physicist either.

Can’t wait to go back and actually last a full cycle next time. Hopefully…

I’m really enjoying this. My first time in space I ran right into a star and burned up, but the sense of exploration and the look of everything is just fantastic. I only have one complaint so far:

No ultra wide support. Dammit.

What??? Guess XBox it is.

Thank you for posting this. I have gotten used to everything from the last 5 years supporting it.

Even though I knew about the time loop stuff going into the game, it was still shocking and mindbending the first time it happened.

What a cool game. It’s so incredibly open-ended and I’m almost at a loss as to what I should do next, but in the best way.

Yep thanks. Will hold off until they add support.

Are there plans for widescreen or are we just hoping?

I played for 45 minutes, but was too sleepy to continue as I kept nodding off. No way to save, so I just lost 45 minutes of progress. I checked my calendar and it said it’s still 2019, so I’m not sure what happened there.

Heh. Same thing happened to me in Void Bastards. I figure I need to only play these two games when I have bigger chunks of time available. Like when my 2 year old is older.

What is the save system then? Waypoints?

Starting to think I should wait for the Steam version.

Apparently it saves whenever the time loop resets. I hadn’t reached that point yet. And I should clarify that it wasn’t the game making me sleepy; it was the time of day.

What progress? The time loops are only 20 minutes long once past the tutorial bit and the only thing that really gets saved is your ship log. The real progress made each cycle is knowledge, the things that you as a player have learned :)

The tutorial part can probably be bypassed in 2 or 3 minutes. Just head to the observatory to grab the launch codes and go. There’s no reason to chat with the NPCs again or anything.

It saves every time the cycle begins again.

Right, I’m not too chuffed about it, more bemused. And since I hadn’t gotten to the first loop, I didn’t have any idea what gets saved and what doesn’t. I mean the game did warn me that my progress was going to be lost, but it might have been nice to have that warning up front. The game doesn’t set up any expectations in that regard. It’s not a huge deal or I would have forced myself to stay awake until I could save.

Yeah, I can see how it might be a bit off-putting if you were to quit playing before finishing the tutorial area and completing the first loop.

widescreen <> ultra wide screen.

I had a similar experience. Played for about 45 minutes, exploring the starting area and talking to everyone. Then, as I was getting sleepy, I jumped into outer space but couldn’t find anything to land on and just zoomed around feeling confused. As I quit out and realized it didn’t save my progress, I was initially alarmed but then I figured out that all my progress was in my brain (how novel!) and next time I play I can get straight up there.

The Zero G cave was very cool. The whole game is very cool. It’s quite polished and has a strong sense of itself. In games and films, Annapurna has got it going on, baby! Megan Ellison, teaching the world exactly how to be a billionaire’s daughter.

This locked up on me while i was walking around the tutorial area talking to NPC’s. I’d already retrieved the launch codes and was on my way to the launch tower when i stopped to talk to an NPC (the one whittling a stick), instead of the usual dialog options it was just a bunch of orange dots that promptly disappeared and then the game was stuck on that NPC. He’s just sitting there whittling away and i can’t move or bring up a menu or do anything. Music is still playing and the NPC is still doing his thing so it’s not like the game froze…just wouldn’t let me do anything. Had to hard quit out of that and i guess since nothing saved do the tutorial area over again.

Geez between this and my issues with Observation (in that thread) it’s not been a good run for games on the Epic store.