Outer Wilds - a solar system trapped in a time loop.

I’m very late to the party here, but seeing the DLC talked about recently made me pick up this game for a second time. Initially, I thought it was an amazingly crafted tech demo. But after randomly exploring a few planets and being frustrated at the 22 minute limit, I didn’t finish.

This time, hearing that it was designed as a detective game, I started at a single thread (explore the moon) and explored everything one step at a time. I sought answers to any questions that popped up in the next time loop. And it sucked me in, big time. This was an incredibly satisfying game, with a surprisingly frightening and emotional ending.

I’m skipping recent replies in this thread until I play the DLC, but thanks for the chatter! I’m glad I gave this game a second shot!

Glad you have it a second chance. This game is something special. And going through that story for the first time is such a memorable experience.

The DLC is incredible and somehow elevates the game even further. Enjoy!

I absolutely loved Outer Wilds but the expansion hasn’t grabbed me yet. Wondering if you could let me know if I’m on the precipice of truly appreciating it?

I’ve discovered about 5 slide reels, including one which told me about the secret cave to get to the top of the one tower, and another about doing something to go into one of the paintings. I’ve also found a couple of artifacts, and got to the hidden “stilt village” place.

But so far, I’m having trouble connecting the dots about how to use the artifacts, how to enter the painting in those…rooms, etc.

Any very light hints to point me in the right direction? And I’m curious if “incredible” is coming later for this DLC or if at this point you already thought the DLC was great?

One other thing - I’ve noticed how ~5 minutes into a loop, the lights or cloaking of the ship flickers and then the walls expand to have some green on them. This is a super intriguing mystery I can’t wait to discover more of!

I’m struggling to work out where you are exactly which makes even light hints tricky. I will say that within the first hour I’d said ‘holy fuck’ about 6 times and it kind of kept going from there for me! I was absolutely besotted by it, again :-)

I hope it grabs you soon LMN8R! Feel free to drop more details and I’ll see if I can be super vague :-P

I think this is pretty vague. Maybe too much?

Have a think about what “drives” a lot of things in that place. Could it have something to do with opening up places you can’t access yet?

The stories the reels tell you are incomplete but important. I don’t remember which ones you would have seen first. But the painting one does indeed give you an interesting hint.

And a question you might want to ignore for now:

Have you found ghost matter yet? Anything of interest there?

Thanks for the tips! I’ve discovered something new with using an artifact. Lots more to explore now.

Hey all, I fooled around with this a bit the other day on Game Pass (XCloud version, so 1080p, streaming) and while it looked interesting, the narrow FoV was killing me (giving me a headache, making me queasy), and there seemed no in-game way to change it. Is there a way to do so with the PC version?

Yes, according to PCGW.

Thanks. Hope that’s an in-game control because with Game Pass PC games there’s the obfuscated file system to contend with.

Should be in the in-game options. I don’t recall editing any files and I certainly changed the FOV.

Bought this game like 2 years ago. Took me 3 attempts, but I finally got into it.

Attempt 1: I spent about 30 mins in Timber Hearth before having to stop playing. “I’m sure it autosaved at some point.” Nope.

Attempt 2: Fly to the Attlerock and discover the Eye Signal Locator. “What is this shit? Some sort of puzzle? Looks complicated. It’s too late at night for whatever this is.”

Attempt 3: “Alright, it’s been a couple of years, let’s give this game a real shot.” YOUR SAVE DATA IS CORRUPTED. “Ok, fine…whatever, I wasn’t that far into it anyway.”

I loaded up my corrupted save to check it out and other than the error message, it worked fine and I was able to blast off in my ship immediately. That’s when the game really sunk its teeth into me. Ended up finishing it in 30 hours within a week, absolutely loved the game. I got really invested into figuring out what happened to the Nomai. Eventually the corrupted save message just went away. Since it had been two years since I played through the tutorial area, I had forgotten everything, which actually made it more enjoyable. Stuff like the gravity stones, anglerfish, and ghost matter were much more interesting to discover than if I had already known about them before leaving Timber Hearth.

I ended up having to look up the solution to 3 places. The Ash Twin Project warp I just thought was broken. Getting to the Sun Station was another one, I had never seen the room with the cacti with sand so I thought I had to get to the warp by going underneath somehow. The one that really drove me nuts was getting into the core of Giant’s Deep. I knew I had to get inside of it. I knew that the jellyfish were the key to it, but all the live jellyfish were electric. I tried flying my ship under a jellyfish, but I was electrocuted so I figured I had to utilize the dead ones. Went back to Feldspar’s jellyfish a bunch of times thinking I had to somehow upgrade my ship with its corpse or something. Also found some jellyfish near some ghost matter on Giant’s Deep but wasn’t able to interact with it in any way. The Probe Tracking Module is Nomai tech and it penetrated the core, maybe I need to use a Nomai ship! I recalled one of the ships at Brittle Hollow and launched it into space. I’m getting caught up in the gravity of Giant’s Deep! Woohoo! I’m doing it, I’m doing it! My Nomai ship punched through the atmosphere and into the water where it stopped dead, looking straight at the core I could not reach. Fuckkkkkk youuuuu. At that point I just looked up the answer. My way is better dammit.

I definitely looked that one up too. I don’t remember what else I might have looked up, but not much.

So great! Glad you finally broke through and got to play it.

I agree! That should have been an Easter egg at least. Well done:)

It may not get you to Giant’s Deep core but I did get an achievement for it.

Thought the same thing, this was the only place I looked it up.

They’ve made mostly good changes after the release but this was one of the bad ones – you used to be able to jam your ship up there and ride it through. I probably would have tried something else if that didn’t work.

The DLC is incredible if you haven’t tried it yet.

I haven’t tried the DLC yet. I’m hanging onto it, aging it like a fine wine I guess, since I don’t know when or if I’ll get another experience like Outer Wilds. It’s cheesy I know, but I also know it’s going to be something special when I do play it.

Yeah, Echoes of the Eye is incredible and essential if you enjoyed the base game.

Just fired up the DLC. I like how they integrated the DLC into the base game. Kind of the perfect way, as in it could have existed within the base game logically. It sort of took me longer to discover than I would have liked but I think I hit all story beats.

Visit the new exhibit at the museum. Radio tower. Photos, and angle number. Time bro mentioned by name. Visited him on Giants Deep. He has new dialog and tells you how to get to the satellite. The problem is I crashed into it at first and wrecked it so the console shows an error. I was also way too late for the event. Eventually I was able to observe…
The ship is completely invisible and only casts a shadow on the sun during an infinitesimal time window. Entering the new area I was like…wow this place looks nice and so cool! And then the thing happened and I was like oh shiiitttttt daaaamnnn!!!

Hell yeah. I actually laughed when that moment happened. It immediately told me I was in good hands with the DLC.