Outriders - Square Enix colonizes space

Yes, absolutely. But I don’t think you need to wait for level 15-20 to get there. As soon as you start getting blues, which introduces mods, it’s a whole new game. I think this happens at level 10, if not a little earlier depending on when you rescue Dr. Zahidi. By then, you’ve got a full set of skills to play with.

I wonder if there’s a problem where people feel the need to play at the highest world tier they can reach and so they keep getting “punished” for running around using their powers rather than creeping around as if they were playing a cover shooter? Isn’t the default setting to opt into the highest tier available? In which case, the occasional reminder that you can drop to a lower world tier might be construed as conceding defeat?

I have no problem dropping the world tier as needed and it’s made the game so much more accessible and even breezy. It really helps the pacing. Frustrating boss fight? Too many enemies swarming me? @Jason_McMaster not carrying his weight? I might try new powers or a new line on the class tree or a steady stream of berating abuse to inspire McMaster. But if that doesn’t do it, then I’ll just skip past it at a lower tier and then adjust back upwards afterwards. I’ve never gotten past world tier 7, but it seems like there’s enough content here that raising my world tier is a whole other kind of progression I can work on at my leisure, after I get through the story missions.

But, yes, you’re absolutely right about how people need to get past the first impression phase of Outrider to really appreciate what it’s doing. I’m astonished that Square Enix has published an action RPG that’s this good, because their last action RPG was one of the worst I’ve ever played.

-Tom

Yeah, I routinely drop the WT to a level where the bad guys die in a more appropriate time frame. No fan of bullet sponges. I do try to play most content at the highest WT I can, but have no issue dropping it for bosses. It’s just that some of the bosses are a bit too much I think. But that’s an issue with all sorts of games.

One thing that bugs me about the world tier business, and this is probably just my brain doing a number on me, is that you have to earn experience in the highest world tier you have access to, in order to access the next level world tier. That makes me want to push that world tier as high as possible because hey, higher numbers good! When maybe I shouldn’t care as much about that. But then again, what if i’m stuck later on easily outpacing my enemies and I’ve got to grind back up to an appropriate world tier? This requires more thought than I was prepared to dedicate to a third person looter shooter.

I’ve seen the stream of you two playing, for some reason you pull a lot of aggro and McMaster runs away a lot, errr… I mean tactically retreats to regroup. ;)

Two acquaintances of mine have just tried Anthem on EA Play+GamePass after playing Outriders and claim that Anthem combat + movement feels better to them.

They are very different. I thought Anthem nailed the feeling of piloting a Javelin. That was never the problem.

I would be in complete agreement with them. There’s stuff I like about Outriders, but the movement/feel definitely is not one of them. Anthem nailed that part. Not much else, but they nailed that.

Damn, you guys are going to make me reinstall Anthem.

For a cover shooter, Division 2 and Gears 4/5 have the best implementations I feel. Outriders, just based on the demo for me, feels too floaty and imprecise.

It’s definitely floaty, but it’s definitely not a cover shooter like Division either (I don’t play the Gears games so can’t comment on that). You should be teleporting around / mass burninating / minigunning people in the face, not cowering behind cover. :)

Past the first few levels, cover is just a visual cue that you’re gonna get your murder on soon.

Can World Tier go back down? It looked like it was almost happening to me earlier. There was one fight against the insurgents, in a bunker on top of the cable car mountain thing. I’m playing on WT 6, and failed enough that I started to slide backwards on the scale (stupid f-ing snipers). It was the only fight I’ve had in the game that I’ve had to redo more than 2-3 times. I got right down to a sliver and passed it, and now my WT is climbing again.

I think you do lose WT experience for deaths in that tier?

I know you lose WT XP, but can you actually go down in levels?

Not unless you set it lower yourself. And even then your WT XP is frozen

I had to finally step the WT down to 6 once I got to a certain point in the later stages of the game. Not the finish, but it’s close and the waves of melee and boss mobs were overwhelming me during ta particular side quest (the Obelisk sidequest). The downside of lowering difficulty is your gear stops improving. Most of what I find now is lower than the gear I was wearing when I got swarmed repeatedly.

Quite enjoy it overall, although I play entirely solo since I’ve never found a random group despite repeated searches. Playing a pyromancer (fire guy, whatever) and a few of the skills are a delight to use. Eruption is my favorite with Thermal Bomb a close second. I feel compelled to keep the boosted rounds skill on my bar because it’s so useful. Would prefer more flash-bang and less shoot-harder.

I ran into one side quest boss where I had to drop several world levels. I wanna say i dropped from 8 to 4. In hind sight i think i may of been able to get past it had i respected my devastator. I did several levels later and had a much easier time. Currently nearing the end of the story line just short of WT 9. Really enjoying the game so far.

FYI, you can play the xbox series x version with kbm. Ugh, I bought it for steam, beat it, but now its more awesome on xbox. been playing crossplay for two days now… so it seems to be smoothing out.

BTW, the nerf was real… but its not that bad.

Also, if you are getting ass kicked on a world tier… make sure to upgrade your weps… you should always have one at MAX level for that World Level (and rarity if possible).

The economy seems built on you having to constantly harvest titanium to upgrade your gear anyhow.

Fuck me, just had to turn it down to WT1 to get past a miniboss fight.

I’m not sure I can see myself playing this much once I finish the story. These difficulty spikes are just brutal, but playing at lower levels makes 90% of the content trivial. By all accounts the expeditions aren’t particularly soloable unless you’re already very well geared, which I’m not, and yet they’re the main way to get new loot. I have no desire to play with randoms, and in any event it sounds like the pickup group scene is super toxic, with people kicking anyone they deemed underpowered. And apparently there’s some weird autolevelling thing going on when you go back to finish off story content at higher levels.So I can’t see how I’m going to have fun getting to where I need to be. For a game that is so clearly inspired by Diablo, they sure don’t seem to have learned the most important lessons.

I didn’t find this was true about the expeditions. I finished the game on WT6, and was able to go into Expeditions at Tier 3 without much difficulty… The progression has been fairly steady after that. Once you get past about 7, you will NEED to have some kind of build in mind to continue. I was in mostly blues and maybe 1-2 purples?