Outriders - Square Enix colonizes space

I think you can scroll through this thread to find lots of discussion about what this game is and isn’t but I’ll summarize because you’re hitting the very common first obstacle to enjoying Outriders. This game (despite some marketing expectations) is not a looter-shooter in the sense that gunplay is what it’s all about. This is not Destiny. This game is about putting together a build of powers and then cycling them off as quickly as you can (more Diablo than Destiny). This game does not want you in cover trying to assault rifle bad guys, it wants you out in the open using your abilities to burn through enemies as quickly as you can. In fact most (maybe all?) of the classes heal by killing enemies in close proximity encouraging you to get in the thick of things. This took some adjusting for me as well but once you start playing the game the way it’s designed it really is a lot of fun.

Interesting, I’ll flip through the thread history. Yeah, when I read the class descriptions I realized I was gonna have to get up close and personal. I did do that (spamming my AoEs and very strong melee attack) and can see appeal, especially for say, Warframe or Diablo 3 fans. And I do like those games - but I did come in hoping for something that felt more like Gears with loot.

You might try starting over with the sniper class, then.

This game is loooong…

I am some 29 hours in, starting to be ready for it to be over, but having just arrived to the desert area, it seems I still have ways to go.

It is probably the best schlooter I played yet, not that it says much considering I am not a fan of the genre.

That’s lovely! Is that yours?

-Tom

Schlooter has been used for a long time, maybe back before the first Borderlands?

Not too long now, at least it went faster for me when I reached the desert, probably helped that I mostly stopped doing any kind of side content.

Also, it really gets long when you get to endgame, I was having fun, but didn’t want to put up I dunno how many more hours just to see bigger numbers on the screen .

I saw it elsewhere, but find it amusing yet accurate.

Yeah I am not interested in the endgame. I am enjoying the story though. It is a pretty fun B movie post-apo scifi. And the variety of locations is nice. Division and Anthem were both super monotone in comparison.

One thing I dislike is not being able to change classes midplay. I went with Trickster, but I have been using the same three powers the entire game because the rest just ain’t that appealing. Would be great if I could switch to Pyro or Techno and try different stuff.

I never finished the endgame, but I really enjoyed the various remixes and restylings of earlier levels, as well as having a new progression track. They’re worth plugging away at for a while, especially if you’ve got a friend or two along.

-Tom

I finished the campaign and played one expedition (below the geothermal plant), was a bit suprised it takes place in new location, has some new dialogue too, as if it was really meant to be played.

But after 39 hours, I am played out and uninstalled it. Maybe I will get back to finish those expeditions someday when I have nothing to play (unlikely).

Anyway…I really didn’t expect this game to be about the holocaust, damn.

In fact, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the writing. I read every piece of lore I found (about 95% of them) and enjoyed it, apart from the annoyingly tiny font. They built quite interesting earth/enoch history here. And characters were pretty good, particularly grumpy polish asshole Jakub.

My trickster at the end

That’s a shame, though jaded as I am I wonder how much of that is just the wonders of Hollywood accounting. Regardless, I’m hoping Worldslayer brings them more success, Outriders was one of my favourites of last year, so I’ve already preordered the expansion. Sounds like it may be the endgame that the release version was perhaps lacking?

That seems insane - and yeah, I suspect this is on SE doing some creative accounting here.

If it’s creative accounting, that really sucks, though I don’t know enough about all of the details to know whether it’s nefarious corporate shenanigans, poor due diligence on the part of People Can Fly, or a combo of both.

I seem to remember around launch someone saying that the Game Pass money didn’t count toward sales.

Sure, but it would still be considered revenue generated by the game. If Square is using their contract language to specifically cut the devs out on that revenue stream, that would be really sucky. But that’s not necessarily the case here.

That’s exactly what I mean, my recollection is that for for the purposes of royalties to the devs it didn’t count as sales

This is what I’m thinking of, I think

Well the expansion is out today. Has anyone dived in as of yet?

I have it but have not sussed out any of the expansion specific stuff yet. Last time I played was, well, some time ago, so I’m sort of trying to get my head around gameplay again before jumping in to the one end-game character that I have.