Ouya - Android-based game console

wow almost sold all 5k units at the $99 tier in first 24 hours.

the ability for the user to upgrade their own hardware is interesting, wonder what the board will support as far as storage and ram additions.

I question how much you can tinker with the hardware. Are there any other equivalent set top android systems that have accessible upgrade paths? Isn’t the system ram always soldered? Does something like the Tegra have a socket like x86 chips to make it easily replaceable?

according to the Ars article, ram and storage should be user upgradeable

Ouya owners will be able to open the casing with a standard screwdriver to upgrade everything from the RAM to the memory chips, and even to solder additions onto the motherboard itself using “clearly documented test points,” according to a fact sheet.

Also, from the FAQ:

When you say OUYA is “open,” what does that mean exactly? Can I do anything I want with it?
When we say, “open” we mean it. We’ve made many decisions based on this philosophy:

Launching on Kickstarter – this isn’t just a way to raise funds. It’s our way of involving supporters from the get go. We want your feedback as well as your support.

For gamers, we believe that OUYA will be more open than any platform on the market to a broad range of content that is really new and interesting, from the best known names in games to exciting indies that you may be getting to know for the first time.

For developers, open means that any developer can publish a game – if you’ve got a game, you can put it on OUYA. You can price your game however you like – it’s your game! We just want to help you bring it to life on the TV. Just make some part of the experience free to the OUYAs. We use open-source software and standard chipsets – we’re on Android because developers are speaking the language. Our chipsets aren’t proprietary or secretive – open OUYA up and have a look! We’ll even publish the hardware design if people want it.

For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals.

As with every platform, though, we have to balance openness with a quality user experience. So we’ll have a standard user interface. We’ll curate your games in our storefront so they’re easy for everyone to get to. And we’ll require that all games we put in our store include a free experience. If you don’t like our choices, root the device and make it your own.

I don’t know how easy it will be to obtain RAM upgrades or whatnot, but it makes it sound like they invite you tinker.

Only 346 left right now, and that’s dropped 100 in 10 minutes, so if you want one, grab it now. (Unless they decide to add another tier since they sold out so quickly.)

I’m in for one, just because I think there will be some super-cool homebrew apps for it. I can’t see this thing making a dent in the mainstream gaming market, but the homebrew crew often does really creative stuff.

Edit: 163 now. Dropping about 100 a minute!

Edit Edit: And now it’s gone from 5,000 available to 10,000. Didn’t realize that Kickstarter folks could update their availability numbers without having to create a new tier. Way to create false scarcity!

Glad they can, though.

I’m with you, Denny. I don’t think it’ll have huge marketshare – ever – or anything like that, but I love the concept and I’m excited to see what the dev community does with it. I like that they’re really capitalizing on the openness of Android and begging you to tinker with it. And I’m sure it’ll get at least a few great games, as well.

Less than $100K to go 'til their goal.

lol. clever of them.

It’s kinda working, as I am REALLY close to pulling the trigger on the $99 tier, which is just nutty.

I jumped because there were so few left and am a bit annoyed that they can just bump the number on a whim, but I don’t regret backing. I’m extremely interested in the controller after watching their video (this is what the Wii U controller should have been), and figure yes, my phone has better specs, but I’d rather not put extra wear and tear on it using it as a console.

So…

Do they have any proof they can design, manufacture and support that hardware for just $99?

I get the impression they are selling at or close to material costs and betting on the 30% cut from app store sales to make the system viable. They have already stripped out the screen, camera, and various sensors that add to a mobile device’s costs basis.

Amazon already sells the Fire at cost, and Google is about to start doing the same thing with the Nexus 7. When you factor in the extras that the Ouya has stripped out it seems feasible.

They have a working prototype, and a console/controller is the reward for a $99 pledge. Will they be able to sustain that price into retail? I don’t know, but I would assume that they know how much the prototype cost to assemble, and that’s the price point they’ve set.

I have no idea who the people are behind it, or if they can execute, but it’s conceptually plausible. It’s basically a Nexus 7 minus the storage, display, and battery, in a form factor where miniaturization is less critical, AND it’s not supposed to exist until 2013, by which time all those components should be cheaper.

What does this get you as a console though? Is it more than just playing mobile-like games on my TV?

Thanks for the link. I still think you’ll be better off with a phone or tablet that has hdmi out to accomplish the same task. You should be able to get any bluetooth controller, or even the Onlive one, as an adequate controller.

They want to have static hardware “for the developers,” but I don’t see developers ignoring the much larger Android phone base. Those specs are moving up and usually due to the kind of hardware you can’t replace, even on this board (ie CPU/GPU).

Also the price doesn’t seem especially fantastic considering the Nexus 7 has the same internals for only $100 more but its also a tablet with a 7" screen. Plus it will be out in about a month vs almost 8 for the Ouya.

Is this just about playing mobile and tablet games on my TV?
No. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Can we say it more clearly?

OUYA was not created merely to host ports of existing Android games. We’ve built this badboy to play the most creative content from today’s best known AAA game designers as well as adored indie gamemakers.

That said, we believe many existing Android games will feel bigger and better on a TV with a real controller. And we’ve heard from developers like Brian Fargo and Adam Saltsman that the controller will be the most exciting reason to develop for OUYA. We hope they speak for all developers when they say OUYA will inspire new forms of gameplay.

Also, goal met, day 1.

One thing I’m curious about, though, if they’re supporting this with an app store model: With an open, rooted OS, sideloading, and everything open to everyone, what’s going to hold back piracy? I know any device can be hacked, but this one seems like it’ll be super-simple to do so on.

I’m assuming you’ll get streaming playback apps, etc. so it could also substitute for Roku functionality. Plus, a mediocre mobile web browser on your TV!

They’re emphasizing that every game developed for the system has to have a “free to play” component, which tells me that they’ll be looking at subscriptions, etc. that will allow devs to monetize, but will also probably cut way back on the piracy.

For me it’s more about time than money. If I’m going to sit in front of a HDTV (and take up the use of said TV) and play a console game I’m going to play one of the 50 AAA titles for 360 or ps3 I have sitting in my backlog, not Canabalt. Seriously, my time is more valuable that that. But, if somebody hacks the google play store onto that and then use it as a media streamer too (netflix, plex, subsonic, etc) with the “console” stuff as a value add all for $99? That might not be such a bad deal. It needs a built in IR receiver!

The Play Store may or may not ever land there, but I can pretty much guarantee that the media streaming outlets will. Heck, they hacked Netflix onto the Nexus Q, and it’s way less “open” and flexible than this claims to be.